Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Start of Ropecon 2011 write-ups

So, last weekend I went to the Ropecon gaming convention.

I played lots of Warmachine games there and luckily I took pictures from every game. Luck being, I slept so bad and so little there my memory fails me and hopefully the pictures remind me a bit what happened and where. Still I'm suspecting these reports will be a lot less detailed than usually.

Anyway, I'm starting the gaming write-ups with a random game that took place on Friday night. I also played in the main tournament on Saturday, but those will have to wait for a bit now.

This game was a 50 point game against Cygnar. I was playing Circle all through the ropecon.

My list:

Cassius the Oathkeeper
- Argus
- Woldwatcher
- Gnarlhorn Satyr

Sentry Stone & Mannikins
Shifting Stones
Swamp Gobbers Bellows Crew
Tharn Bloodweavers
Maximum unit of Tharn Ravagers + Chieftain
Maximum unit of Wolves of Orboros + Unit Attachment
Lanyssa Ryssyll
Lord of the Feast
White Mane

And opponents list:

Captain Haley
- Thunderhead
- Thorn

Alexia & The Risen + Captain Murdoch
Minimum unit of Trencher Commandos + 2 Scattergunners
Maximum unit of Longunners + Unit Attachment
Squire
Arlan Strangewayes
Journeyman Warcaster
Stormsmith Stormcaller

We played a random scenario that proved to be Capture the Flag. In case you're wondering about the Ogrun Bokurs there, they're the flags.

Anyway, I have little to tell about the start of the game. I don't remember who won the starting roll. Also, I was quite worried about Thunderhead in the center of the board, and this was the first game ever where I was facing Alexia Ciannor and her merry band of dead fellows.

I vaguely remember what happened in the second picture.

I had lost my White Mane to trencher commandoes at the right side of the board. However, I felt confident enough that my stuff could contest the flag there for a long time to come.

I wanted to push my forces to the flag I was supposed to capture, and Thunderhead, again, was scaring the crap out of me. So it was time to feat.

All in all, things looked good. Once Cassius' feat wore off the Ravagers were able to charge Thunderhead, who had Arcane Shield on from journeyman warcaster and Curse of Shadows on from Cassius.

One of the ravagers tried to harass the long gunners. Bloodweavers were supporting the big guy. However, his killing spree ended rather short when he managed to kill only the initial charge target.

Other ravagers didn't quite manage to finish off Thunderhead. If I don't remember totally wrong it had only one or two boxes remaining?
Woldwatcher finished it, by shooting its elemental strike to the warjack that had its movement system broken.

But then it was opponents turn.

And, to me, it very much looks like Haley used her feat.

I lost most of my hitting power in one fell swoop.

However, Haley charged into melee herself. She did camp some focus after it, don't remember how much, but I jumped at the chance to pull off some Unseen Path shenanigans.

First, I cleared everything I could from the center.

Then I activated Cassius, took five souls from Wurmwood, advanced him as far forward as possible and cast Unseen Path twice, and was left with 7 fury.

That meant I could do four melee attacks with boosted hit roll, boosting damage as required.

I needed 10 with three dice to score a hit.

I... I scored no hits. None at all. Zero.

Four times in a row, not a single time 10+ with three dice.

Then I had one Ravager to charge her, but with Set Defense it was quite impossible to hit her. So, yet another miss, this time an expected one.

After that Cassius was pretty much butchered.

No comments:

Post a Comment