Thursday, August 4, 2011

First two games in tournament

I'm writing two battles per posting for not to get a terribly long write-ups.

First game in the tournament was against Skarre, the Pirate Queen. Scenario was, ah, it was Killbox. I chose my list to be the one of Cassius'

Anyway, opponents list was something like this:

Pirate Queen Skarre
- Deathripper
- Stalker
- Reaper

Maximum unit of Bane Thralls + Unit Attachment
Maximum unit of Satyxis Raiders + Sea Witch
Maximum unit of Mechanithralls
Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls
Bane Lord Tartarus
Ogrun Bokur
Satyxis Raider Captain
Skarlock
Saxon Orrik

Terrain was awesome for Cassius. I could get Wurmwood pretty centered with good enough safety not to get thrashed by just about everything.

However, I tried to play safe and parked Woldwatcher next to the tree, still. I obviously lost it to the Reaper just then. Should have placed it more carefully so it couldn't be dragged through a building or something.

Gnarlhorn is in the right side of the board, doesn't show in the picture.

Then, after my next turn and opponents next turn situation started building up. Both of the casters and warlocks were pretty safe. Skarre can't be actually even seen during whole game, as she hides behind the building, casting Dark Guidance all over the place.

Satyxis had used their Power Swell and killed a few ravagers and did some damage to Gnarlhorn.

Maybe the situation there was optimal for Cassius, but seems a bit like 50 points with living models on both sides with melee heavy stuff is awesome with Cassius. Just about every turn I had the potential either to cast two hellmouths or one hellmouth with serious boosts. Full potential just doesn't show all too well here, as I was lucky enough to roll plenty of low magic attack rolls.

Looking at that picture I think I skipped one turn where I probably used my feat.

Well, it was definitely a killbox there, looking at next picture. Cryxians just came in waves after waves, yet somehow I endured.

I'm not sure where Skarre used her feat, probably here in this picture or maybe last picture. Anyway, I weathered it just fine, maybe that's why I don't remember when it was used.

Good use of Hellmouths and Megalith's Geomancy wrecked Reaper and Ogrun Bokur.

However, I knew I would be losing attrition very soon if Necrosurgeon started crafting thralls. Now it started having tokens.

So, my next turn was a bit... hasty.

No, not hasty.

It was totally embarrassing.

I ran one Wolf of Orboros next close to Necrosurgeon. Then I activated Cassius, took the souls from Wurmwood, walked to the hill. I was thinking Wurmwood wasn't in range to let Cassius ignore melee penalty, so I cast Unseen Path to get it closer. Then I launched a fully boosted Hellmouth at the wolf of orboros.

Yeah, I killed the surgeon. And other stuff too.

Too bad I was left with 2 fury and decided to teleport to safety.

Out of Killbox.

I guess I won't make that mistake twice? I hope?

Next game:

Second game was against Circle and scenario was Outflank, Outfight, Outlast.

I decided to take Mohsar for the job for once to get some use out of his feat.

Opponent chose Kaya, and his list was something like this:

Kaya the Moonwalker
- Warpwolf Stalker
- Feral Warpwolf
- Gnarlhorn Satyr
- Gorax

Minimum unit of Warpborn Skinwalkers
Druids of Orboros (+ possibly overseer? Can't figure out, but missing 2 points)
Shifting Stones + Stone Keeper
Alten Ashley
Blackclad Wayfarer
Lord of the Feast


So, I had never played against Kaya. I had a vague impression what she could do, though. And if people are complaining Spirit Door is useless because it was changed, I would have a different opinion on that.

Anyway, back on track.

Skinwalkers and Ashley went to contest the other zone and massive amount of warbeasts were closing in to the second.

Lord of the Feast and Wolves of Orboros were playing cat & mouse, though they cannot be seen in first picture.

However, I managed to shoot Hunter's Mark on one of the skinwalkers. Then Wilder advanced and cast Gnarlhorn's animus on Feral warpwolf and tried to offer her command range in case my wolf would charge out of Mohsar's control area.

Warpwolf butchered the two of them and Woldwyrd shot the last one if I remember right. At least it was shooting at them.

Bloodweavers advanced into melee with Alten Ashley. The other one missed and the other one did enough damage to bring it to 1 wound left. Bah.

Gnarlhorn is actually facing 180 degrees the other way after counter-slamming itself into a difficult position to balance on.

I used Mohsar's feat then, as most Kaya's beasts had fury on them and Kaya herself had none. This was because opposing druids dragged Woldguardian rather close and the beasts came and killed it.

I guess I learned a little why it's good to have many heavy warbeasts around. When you lose one you don't feel all that crippled.

Anyway, then I lost whole unit of Wolves of Orboros to a spray from Blackclad Wayfarer and a Blood Reaper attack from Lord of the Feast. I guess I didn't need to pay the upkeep of Mirage any longer, then...

However, on my turn I got to kill Alten Ashley and ran my Feral Warpwolf deep into enemy territory to block possible running. Opponent couldn't get anyone to contest the second scoring zone, so it came out as a victory for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment