Monday, August 22, 2011

Sacrifice in vain

Played a game of Warmachine yesterday and it was Cryx versus Cryx, 35 points and a randomised scenario.

Scenario turned out to be Sacrifice.

My list was:

Goreshade the Bastard
- Harrower
- Erebus
- Nightwretch

Maximum unit of Mechanithralls
Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls
Minimum unit of Soulhunters
Darragh Wrathe
Warwitch Siren

And opposing undead were:

Witch Coven of Garlghast
- Deathjack
- 2x Deathrippers

Minimum unit of Bane Thralls
Minimum unit of Bane Knights
Minimum unit of Bile Thralls
Bane Lord Tartarus

Opponent won the starting roll and first picture is taken from the end of my turn, where was my face palm time.

I was all serious telling my opponent that damn, I needed to run my helljacks so stupidly up front because scoring would start on second players second turn.

When I said that I realised that I was the second player. I would've lost nothing by letting opponent contest the control zone first... Live and learn?

Next picture, then, is no suprise.

Deathjack mauled Erebus and was left with focus to spare.

Tartarus and a couple of random thralls dropped both weapon systems of my Harrower.

Bile Thralls were positioned quite close but still in a very unassailable position. I felt that my situation was all kinds of screwed, though as long as I had my Mechanithralls + Surgeon going on I thought I was still competing for victory.

Being somewhat desperate, I tried to start cherry picking key models like Tartarus from opposing army and hopefully even damaging Deathjack, as I had no souls in my army it could heal itself with.

First Darragh Wrathe charged one bane knight and cast Death Ride with battle wizard skill, shuffling my troops so that I could line up as many charges as possible.

Two soulhunters charged Tartarus and, well. Six attacks later, two of them being p+s 13 charge attacks with MAT 8, Tartarus was still alive... or un-alive? with one hit box remaining.

In the end Goreshade himself chose to enter the battle, camping 6 focus after finishing Tartarus.

All the charging mechanithralls missed the Deathjack and even the most critical thing, Warwitch Siren, missed Deathjack with her attack.

Goreshade had used his feat to bring some meat to the table after losing my heavy hitters.

Then it was opponents turn again.

Three bile thrall purges cleared the way for Deathjack to get a charge to poor Goreshade. They did a damage point to Deathjack, though, which was more than my Mechanithralls ever did.

Veil of Mists gave Deathjack pathfinder where it needed that. Oh, and bane things wrecked Harrower too.

Deathjack killed Goreshade, who was then restorated by Deathwalker. And Witch Coven used their feat.

On my turn I made a second serious blunder, which is illustrated in the embedded picture. I had to activate Goreshade so early in turn that I didn't have a clear picture where he would need to be. Also... I was suprised when I noticed that "Hey... I can't activate anything anymore and there is more than a clear line between Deathjack and him..."

But I felt that I could do something with free strikes from my Mechanithralls and Darragh Wrathe. I'm not sure how I didn't remember I was playing against Witch Coven...

Anyway, I managed to put some pressure on the Witches too, as my soulhunters advanced, beat up stuff and advanced as light cavalry, the unit leader engaging two of the witches and Egregore.

Also, all the opponents other troops were engaged by my models, which meant the sole surviving opponents bane thrall, two bile thralls and both deathrippers.

All in all my situation didn't look so bad if we forget the little fact that Witch Coven is a foc 9 caster with 18" control area with Ghost Walk and Veil of Mists and undamaged Deathjack staring to Goreshade who had 5 hit points left with no focus camped.

Yeah. So my sitation was a hellish one, in matter of fact.

Goreshade's gore spilled out and it didn't look that shady at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment