Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Pointy ears versus pointy teeth (proxy warning)

I played two 35 point casual games at Ropecon too, both against Retribution of Scyrah and Ossyan. These are the last casual games, next in the works are write-ups from the tournament games.

Friday:

My list:
Morvahna:
- Woldwyrd
- Woldwatcher
- Woldguardian

Maximum unit of Wolves of Orboros + Unit Attachment
Shifting Stones + Stone Keeper
Blackclad Wayfarer
Lord of the Feast
Reeve Hunter
Thrullg

Opponent's list:
Ossyan
- Banshee
- Hypnos

Maximum unit of Houseguard Halberdiers + Unit Attachment
Maximum unit of Mage Hunter Strike Force + Commander
Arcanist
Sylys (warcaster attachment)

So, Phoenix model is actually Banshee there, and Discordia acts as Hypnos.

Anyway, this game is somewhat hazy in my memory, but I tried to do a funny list with only wolds in it as warbeasts for Morvahna.

I don't remember who won the starting roll, but sure it was sweet for once to rely on Lord of the Feast + Shifting Stones staying on board, because all were stealthed.

Green template is Ossyan's temporal distortion effect. Banshee shot its slam bullet to Woldwatcher too, which was a clever way to move the distortion template.

In next picture Lord of the Feast did naughtiness. It was in charge range of some Strike Force members and butchered them to pieces. After that the crow took Lord into contact with Banshee, where was fresh supply of elven hearts to feed the ancient horror.

And, well. Uhm. I can't find my Woldguardian in that picture?! Did it die already? Could be that I rushed it to protect my other beasts and Hypnos is standing there proud after killing my heavy hitter.

Then I use Morvahna's feat and hope to get random shots at Ossyan off. Well, I didn't, but the infantry opponent had was pretty much gone. However, two warjacks and me with no serious hitters didn't still look all that good.

I guess a turn or two earlier Shield Guard and Sacrificial Pawn messed up opponents attempt at assassinations.

Well, looks like I lost my Woldwyrd too and chose to go in with straight offense. Combined efforts of Morvahna and Wolves of Orboros destroyed Banshee. A couple of regrowthed wolves actually got to threaten Ossyan too, but to no avail.

I haven't taken a final picture, it seems, but that situation there was desperate enough.

It was possible that Ossyan hadn't even used his feat, so Morvahna was kind of a... dead.


Game 2:


Well, on Sunday I played the another game against Retribution.

This time I was with Cassius and damn, that came out as amazing game deserving the "epic" tag.

So, the lists:

Cassius
- Argus
- Woldwatcher
- Gnarlhorn Satyr

Maximun unit of Wolves of Orboros + Unit Attachment
Minimum unit of Tharn Ravagers + Chieftain
Swamp Gobbers Bellows Crew
Shifting Stones
White Mane
Lanyssa Ryssyll

Opponent:

Ossyan
- Banshee
- Hypnos
- Discordia

Epic Eiryss
Sylys (warcaster attachment)
2x Arcanists
Ghost Sniper

In the picture you can see how Narn and Discordia destroyed two of my Ravagers that had been placed too far. Oh, and about the proxies here, Discordia is actually Discordia, Phoenix is the Banshee and Slayer is Hypnos, because the colouring reflected the name so well.

Ravagers had to deal with Narn, which was easy enough for them because of their impressive melee attack score during charges. Opponent had a bit too much infantry clearing power in the form of a range 10" spray and AoE's from Banshee, so I decided to try to be as offensive as I could (not verbally, though). I ran everything forward and used Cassius' feat.

Opponent didn't do much else than positioning.

Ossyan was camping 5 focus but he was at a delicious place, so I really tried to figure out how I could get the caster kill.

But as anything I could come up with seemed like a far stretch, I decided to beat up opponents warjacks instead, and, to be honest, that didn't go all too well.

Cassius casts Gnarlhorn's animus on both Argus and Gnarlhorn Satyr.

Lanyssa manages to hit Discordia with Hunter's Mark.

Argus charges first and misses its charge attack that I decided not to boost. I thought that hitting with 5 on 2 dice was reliable enough. It buys another attack, which needed a hit roll boost, because its MAT was back to 5 after Gnarlhorn's animus expired. If I remember right all it managed to do was 1 point in.

Then came in the Gnarlhorn and did impressive damage, yes, but didn't kill the thing.

Also random solos were flanking on the right side of the board. No wolf was facing Eiryss, so I had to creep the officer into melee range with her to propose her. And so they were engaged. Other wolves did random charges at the warjacks and killed the Ghost Sniper.

A picture from the end of opponents next turn where you can better see the situation with Eiryss, and the loss of Gnarlhorn, which was more than expected. Rather unexpected was, though, that the Argus survived.

Then Argus and a charge from ravagers wrecked Discordia. White Mane charged the arcanist behind Discordia and sprinted to engage Ossyan himself.

Eiryss survived two combined melee attacks made by Wolves of Orboros. The other one needed 7's to hit (rolled 6) and the other one needed 6's to hit (rolled 5).

I was confident enough that Cassius would survive where he stood because there was a shield guard nearby.

But, well. Lil' Argus was killed and the line of ravagers shattered too. Ossyan beat White Mane in melee by himself. Well, he cast a spell on it after failing melee attacks.

Anyway, my next turn was interesting, too.

First of all, I really wanted my Wolves of Orboros to charge. So I had to get rid of Eiryss.

I had grand plans of killing her in melee with Cassius, which I attempted too. But then I realised I had charged so far that Wurmwood was no longer in Cassius' control range. Pfft. At least Eiryss died.

Yet Wolves didn't manage to kill Banshee and I wanted to get a charge with my Ravager Chieftain at Ossyan. (It was only later I noticed I had teleported shifting stones from blocking Cassius's charge to block the Chieftain's charge...)

Then Woldwatcher took an aimed shot at the warjack and finished it.

Then it was opponents turn. Cassius was standing there in the middle of nowhere, Ossyan hadn't used his feat and he still had Hypnos with a nasty gun and his own nasty gun to shoot Cassius.

However, Hypnos activated.

It tried to disengage to get a good shot at Cassius.

Lanyssa Ryssyll makes a free strike. Opponent asks if any of the models have any special rule that will mess up his attempts. I say "Well, she has critical freeze" and shrug my shoulders. And then the dice came out as double 6's.

Pretty damn epic place to land a critical freeze on.

On my turn I walk Cassius as much forward as possible to get a spell at Ossyan. Boosted Stanglehold hit and did some damage.

Then the ravager chieftain, who was still carrying Narn's heart, charges Ossyan and kills him.

All kinds of unexpected things happening, which was cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment