Monday, September 10, 2012

Victory with a sorry doubt

Few days ago I played a 35 point game of Warmachine.

It was against a local player whose existence I hadn't been aware of. Amazing that suprises like these pop up now and then in this city.

Anyway, I played with Witch Coven, since it has been quite a long while I played them.

My list was:

Witch Coven of Garlghast
- 2x Nightwretches
- Ripjaw
- Stalker
- Erebus
Minimum unit of Bile Thralls
Minimum unit of Satyxis Raiders + Sea Witch
Skarlock Thrall
Necrotech & Scrap Thrall

And opponent had:

Epic Caine
- Ol' Rowdy
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages + Officer
- Defender
Minimum unit of Greygore Boomhowlers
Arlan Strangewayes
Squire
Journeyman Warcaster
Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator

What grieves me is the fact that while I had my camera with me and took pictures, the memory card inside had become corrupt or something, pictures wouldn't open on my laptop. I tried formatting the card and it seemed to work, but all in all... looks like I will be needing a new memory card for my camera rather soon?

What bugs me even more is the fact that now, while remembering back at the game, I'm not entirely sure if I played with a maximum or minimum unit of Satyxis Raiders. I sure remember there were quite a bit of them and they wrecked a few jacks especially on their Power Swell turn, and I wonder if a minimum unit could have done those things.

My sincere apologies if I did field maximum unit of them, because I really didn't have the points. I would've been missing Skarlock and Necrotech in that case... Though Skarlock nearly killed one of my witches.

It's difficult to remember that far back with no pictures, but what I do remember is that Witch Coven were sitting like scared hens as far from action as possible. Last time I played epic Caine he almost nailed epic Asphyxious from the other side of playing board, having only about half an inch too short distance.

Nightfall worked wonders in not getting the witches killed. However, once Nightfall had come and gone and Caine forced to fall back, a curious thing happened.

Caine cast Magic Bullet on Defender, who used Snipe attack to kill Skarlock. Magic Bullet went through Hellaena, and it's a pow 12 hit. Coven had one focus left, so if opponent had rolled 9 for damage the game would've pretty much ended there. Luckily she took only 5 points in, but this scared the heck out of me. Not only I needed to have the coven as far as possible from enemy, but also not a single model within 4" of any witch, either!

I remember Arcane Shield being on Greygore's Boomhowlers first, and then on Ol' Rowdy. Witch Coven used Curse of Shadows on both occassions to lower the bonus an bit, and in case of Boomhowlers' it let Satyxises to charge through to Defender.

The game ended in Bile Thrall making one purge that damaged Caine, and then Stalker that had Infernal Machine came and finished him.

But really, if I played with a maximum unit of Satyxis Raiders, the whole feeling of triumph over epic Caine is kind of... taken away.

Maybe it calls for a re-match?

No comments:

Post a Comment