Thursday, December 2, 2010

2.12. War Dog kills Strakhov

Played against Khador today. It was a 35 point game.

My list:

Witch coven of Garlghast
- Slayer
- Harrower
- 2x Nightwretch

Minimum unit of Bane Thralls + Unit Attachment
Withershadow Combine
Skarlock
Necrotech & Scrap Thrall

Opponent had:

Strakhov
- Kodiak

Great Bears of Gallowswood
Maximum unit of Winterguard Infantry + Unit Attachment
Greylord Ternion
Maximum unit of Man-o-War Demolition Corps
Widowmakers
War Dog
Kovnik Joe



Here is a picture I took from the end of first rounds movements.

Cycling Infernal Machine is something I have rarely done this "professionally". And sure my heavy warjacks ran disgusting distances! Oh, and in case someone is wondering about the wreck marker in the woods, it's actually the Kodiak that couldn't balance too well on some rubble.

Meatshield lining up in form of Winterguard Infantry gave me some headache but let's talk about it more when I get next picture up.



I thought I'd lose all my heavy hitting power next turn unless I used my feat. I could go and beat the hell out of Winterguard Infantry with Harrower but then there were Man-o-Wars just polishing their, umm, hammers?

So, I ran a Nightwretch into woods where the Kodiak was lying. Admonia had upkept Infernal Machine on Slayer.

I shuffled around in the middle, I knew that even with my feat on the Winterguard would be spraying around. But still I didn't realise how lethal rat 3 with boost could be... Anyway, I wanted to clear path for my Coven to move as much forward as possible, put on feat and Veil of Mists (no marker for it in the picture but it's in the forest where Slayer is) and shot Curse of Shadows on the Kodiak (who had Superiority on, by the way).

Tremulus gave his re-rolls to Slayer and then it charged to Kodiak.

And it would've been joyful to witness that dice-rolling if it didn't bring a tear to my eye.

Charge attack roll: Double 1's. So I had to use Tremulus' re-roll exactly there and not save it for dice screw at damage roll. Well, I gave 13 points in with my Combo-Strike, broke Kodiak's movement and started to buy more attacks.

Second attack: double 1's.

Third attack: Scored a hit. Damage roll: double 1's.

Also, by the way, Slayer is standing on top of the tree there where the crude arrow shows and wreck marker is still the Kodiak. Who, as it just happened, didn't transform into it's proxy.

Then I brought stuff forward. I didn't want to do anything "real" with the Harrower because bringing it to melee with winterguard would have probably meant some charging Man-O-Wars up its face. So I tried to place it as front as possible to make it difficult if not impossible to line Winterguard for perfect sprays.

Well, winterguard DID line up. And it sure looked hilarious, next picture is taken from Harrower's view...

I chuckled at the idea of Tresher attack.

I didn't chuckle any longer though when the infantry did their sprays.

Lost like 4 Bane Thralls and Necrotech, which was acceptable enough even from rat 3 sprays, but one of the winterguard one-shotted Admonia which wasn't only an insult to injury but also, like, a double injury (anyone noticing my figures of speech to be... lacking?). Pow 10 would kill a Withershadow member only on damage roll of 5 & 6 or 6 & 6. It was 5 and 6.

Anyway, curious things happened at the woods. Things that made the game, actually.

Strakhov himself charged Slayer (and in turn gave me 13 points in) and also put Overrun on Kodiak.

Then some Man-O-Wars came and mauled Slayer real good, too, and it was left to a shabby condition for Kodiak to deliver Overrun which would bring Strakhov to safety (Strakhov in middle of white circle in messy picture).

Kodiak beat next and scored hits with all of its attacks which were boosted. Superiority and my feat kind of canceled out each other. However, first damage roll was double 1's. Yay for me. Next damage roll was rather high, though, but not high enough. It left Slayer with just one damage point left in Cortex.

Well, then Widowmakers moved as close as possible and one of them was in range. They have the ability to deal 1 point of damage instead of a normal damage roll.

Widowmaker scored a hit and that's the reason you see Slayer wreck on top of a tree. But most importantly, no overrun for Strakhov.

Then the last turn of the game started.



One Winterguard was in front of Harrower on whom I had upkept (myself now as Admonia was killed) Infernal Machine.

Skarlock launched a Stygian Abyss on it and it was gone.

Then I decided to take a pot shot with aiming Nightwretch in the forest at one Man-O-War. It hit just barely but damage roll was double sixes.

After that I lined my other arc node in position to finish the dog. Then witches shot a to-hit boosted Stygian Abyss on the poor pup and boosted damage too. However, the bugger made its tough roll.

Then Harrower advanced, starting in the back arc of the unfortunate Strakhov.

It walked up to where you can see it and used Tresher. Only the War Dog was killed.

Tremulus had given its re-rolls to Harrower.

When Tresher came into contact with Strakhov I managed to score a hit but damage roll (which I boosted) was only 1,1,2. I decided to re-roll all of them via Puppet Master. I rolled 1,1,3.

So I bought another, damage roll equaled 4.

I was needing only fives to hit so I didn't boost my attack rolls and was able to buy still one more attack with focus. Damage roll was 6. That was 15 points in.

Then the soul of Strakhov's most beloved war dog got me yet one more attack and it was the end of Strakhov.

No comments:

Post a Comment