Saturday, September 4, 2010

Warmachine on the internet (again)

I decided to play a game of Warmachine on Vassal again since it's been too long since I played a real game.

(Oh, and a mental note to me - never again paint six models simultaneously! Seems I'm bound to lose interest in such a task...)

Anyway I was playing Circle Orboros again and Mohsar was my warlock. I would have wanted to play some other for a change but we both didn't have too much time on our hands. Other warlocks I have got things on them that make the games last a little longer.

My list was (we were playing a 25 point game):

Mohsar
- Gnarlhorn Satyr
- Gorax
- Woldwyrd

Full unit of Wolves of Orboros + Unit Attachment
Shifting Stones
Tharn Ravager White Mane

My opponent's list was something like:

Skarre
- Reaper
- Cankerworm

Full unit of Bane Knights
Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls

Bane Lord Tartarus
Skarlock
3x Scrap Thralls

The game was rather short.

My opponent started game and rushed forwards with everything. Even Skarre ran.

My response was cautious advance. I cast Mirage on Wolves of Orboros and put up three salt pillars (to achieve this I maltreated Gorax). I tried to position my models and pillars so that if my opponent wanted to get a charge in he would have to destroy my pillars first, getting only few charges off. And if he actually went to destroy pillars in melee he would be left with badly positioned models.

Well, on his turn he moved Skarre a little closer and tried to throw two Blood Rains on my wolves. He was a bit out of range so they deviated automatically. Luckily deviations were to my favour. Only two or three inches straight forward would have destroyed a whole bunch of my Wolves.

It was not to be, however. Opponents biggest mistake, I think, was not using Skarre's feat defensively. Of course that's sub-par use of her feat but it just might have saved her life.

He did rush models to block the Wolves' charge but Woldwyrd and one Crevasse from the blind man itself cleared the charge line.

I got four Wolves to attack Skarre, rest engaged Tartarus. I managed to pass the command check that was caused by Tartarus.

I decided to take a bit of a risk and roll all four rolls separately, meaning I needed 8's to hit. I scored two hits and rolled way above average with first damage roll and still above average with the second. Skarre ended there.

Skarre was badly positioned, but had Wolves suffered casualties from blood rain spam who knows what would have happened?

No comments:

Post a Comment