Thursday, August 26, 2010

Soloing Evil

I decided to play a solo game of Touch of Evil because it seems that I won't get to play this game for a little while. But I'm trying to do a good narrative for this one. Pardon me but English isn't my native language so mistakes are bound to happen.

I tried to give hints within story text what were the exact mechanics that happened. "Possessed by Madness" and of course "Murder" and "Evil is on the move" are expressions that I put into text just to make it clearer what happened in game terms.

I decided to use three heroes and a certain villain I have wanted to play since it was published...

Randomised heroes were: Captain Hawkins, Inspector Cooke and The Scarlet Shadow.

So let's start:

Captain Hawkins' journal:
12.12.1797

Curse this town! This snowfall caught our militia regiment by suprise and now it seems we can't get absolutely anywhere until there's at least some visibility on the roads. Luckily Lord and Lady Hanbrook have been kind enough to have arranged lodgins for my men.

There are other things, too, it seems. Something is not quite right... there is a certain tension in town. I don't like being here.

I was amazed to find, however, that my dear friend inspector Cooke is in Shadowbrook too. We saw each other but didn't have time for too many words, but I gathered as much that he had followed some kind of a lead here. If these weathers continue maybe he will entertain me with stories of his.


Captain Hawkins' journal:
13.12.

Today I met inspector Cooke again. I heard that he was going to visit the magistrate and asked him if he could ask questions there for me too. He made me promise that I keep my eyes open in town and try to hear what people are talking. I wonder what's the matter.

Regardless, I visited the Hanbrooks' manor today and met a charming young lady. She was no other than the daughter of Lady and Lord Hanbrook. I really enjoy her company and she asked me if I could accompany her to town because of the bad weather.

I would've been a fool not to agree!


Nameless journal:
13.12.

I knew I shouldn't have stayed at the inn near Echo Lake. They're on to get me, I've heard of captain Hawkins.

Anyway, what happened was beyond me. I know not what happened. But when I had rented a room I was attacked. Window came crashing down and I fell down. I thought it was an ambush from the law enforcement, so I'd be running into a trap if I take my flight from the door. I jumped from the now broken window.

Nearby I saw a wooden cannon. Very fine and very beautiful, but definitely wooden. But I was on the third floor and fell wrong. I had to retreat at once to my secret hiding place.


Cooke's Inspections:
14.12.

It looks like the Hanbrook family is somehow connected to all this. I'm having a really bad hunch, I really am...

I visited the windmill and found the diary of Lucy Hanbrook. That girl knows something, something that she is too scared of to put even on paper.

I for one don't want to fall to foreigner hate, but Lucy has taken same notices as I have done. In town there has been some toymakers that make fabulous toys beyond imagining, as is appropriate for Christmas season. But something looks odd, I must say.

Miller here told that he had seen a caravan of sorts on the fields nearby. Seems they are stuck in the snow, or why haven't they arrived in town yet?

I must have a talk with Hanbrooks, especially Lucy. And the toymakers.


Captain Hawkins' journal:
14.12.

We left the manor early today, and Lucy told me things that I couldn't believe, or I didn't want even to try to realise what she was trying to say.

She's certain that there is some great evil in all the toymakers about the town. And that there is someone, in a way, controlling them. And that there is something wrong in the toys they make.

I thought it was all foolish. Then we talked a lot about her mother, and I found out things I didn't really want to. She's a good person for certain, but unable to listen her daughter and drinks strong spirits in secret. Call it intuitive hunch if you wish.

But that is all not of any concern. When we arrived in town there was gunfire about the church. Road bank close to us exploded into cloud of snow. I thought it was a musket, firing at us on nearby thicket of woods. I figured it would take time to load the gun so I ran there. But then came another shot that send me off balance. I fell to ground and strained myself badly. I tried to crawl to safety, but still closer to the enemy.

There in the woods was a small, wooden cannon. No-one was operating it and there were no marks on the snow around the toy cannon either. I didn't feel threatened any longer, as if the cannon didn't work if it was on sight.

Lucy came to me and said: "Do you believe me now?"

And I did.


Captain Hawkins' journal:
15.12.

Inspector Cooke has sent me a letter filled with grief. He said he had decided to go to nearby fields to check the situation there, and I almost can't believe what he found there. A full blown festival! There was a mysterious caravan and common townsfolk were there, looking at grandiose shows. Also, toys were being sold and it seems that they're even being gifted for free. Cooke himself acquired a set of scientific tools.

Truly evil is on the move! There is almost no place in this town where you can't find those wretched toys! And yet I cannot forget what I saw in the woods. I just can't go and say that people, do not take the toys, they're evil. You know what they will think of me then.

But I did what I could, I went and showed my leg to the doctor. He patched me up and I should be well by tomorrow. I also dispatched a detachment of my militia to guard town hall, just in case.

I also heard disturbing news that something has been occasionally shooting the monastery with heavy ammunition. I'm afraid what they will find when they will look into it...

Also, I saw a certain person who was wearing almost nothing but red going to stables. During my years in military I can say that this person needs to be looked up, I wouldn't be suprised if he was even the legendary outlaw Scarlet Shadow.

I need to ask tomorrow if anyone bought a horse there.


Captain Hawkins' journal:
16.12.

Today was a perplexing day. I sent my militia to protect the monastery and results were again very... unnatural. My men heard gunshots but when they proceeded to search the surroundings one wooden cannon was found, again.

I moved to magistrates office to find out if there was anything I could do. While I was there that red clad stranger approached, and he did indeed arrive on a horse. I ordered some guards to arrest him but he fought bravely against them.

Townsfolk, however, saw this quarrel and overreacted. They attacked the magistrate. They were claiming that us, here in office, had brought evil to town. They throwed objects at us and broke some windows. I'm quite bruised now, such was the beating I got.

This, however, allowed Scarlet Shadow, for I'm sure the stranger was him, to escape. But I managed to re-assure that no-one should succumb to a mass hysteria. I lied as best as I could, however. Their fear is more than justified.


Cooke's Inspections:
17.12.

I've been snooping around the manor for some time now. I overheard that the noblemen of the town were going to have a festive ball at the manor that night and they asked me if I could stay as a nightwatch.

I agreed, I could do no other. But things I learned there were horrible. The caravan I saw has started moving. People are restless, but don't know who or what to blame. I do know this, however. Late at night a messenger came from the direction of windmill. There had been a case of death. A person was found dead with an opened gift wrapping in front of her.

From what I can think of this was indeed a murder.


Captain Hawkins' journal:
17.12.

I had to visit the doctor again because of the injuries I had while surviving the angry mob. That's not important, though.

What's important is that I've realised what we're facing. Wooden cannons I thought could have been crafty pranks, tricks that would make you frightened.

But... it feels so foolish even to write about this. I saw three, about to my knee height, toy soldiers marching. It was an unholy sight and I must admit I was terrified. They had small rifles with them that had bayonets attached to them. They were like a mockery of my own militia detachments.

I got myself thinking that they were clever clockwork creations and I loathed them. I attacked them and broke them all to pieces. Anger gave me much needed power, because after I had dismantled the bunch I observed their parts. And they were absolutely not working only on some mechanism. Something more sinister is involved in this matter.

I've told my men to keep an eye for Scarlet Shadow, too. No-one has sighted him. At a moment like this we really don't need him breaking the law about.


Captain Hawkins' journal:
18.12.

Things have been going very wrong. Inspector Cooke was delivered to Town Hall in state of emergency. He was delusional for sure, but in this current situation I can't know how much was his fancy and what was real. Surely he can't have been attacked by a stuffed bear?

Anyway, I heard that Scarlet Shadow was sighted near the marsh. Near marsh is an abandoned keep that I thought could very well be his hiding place. I ordered one of my militia squadron to keep an eye on magistrate. After that I went to abandoned keep.

But I found no Scarlet Shadow there. Instead there was a gift box. I opened it but it was empty. Then the horror started... I'm sure a spectre was tormenting me. It must have come from the gift box. I couldn't stand it and I had to take my flight away from the keep.


Cooke's Inspections:
19.12.

Things are starting to look clear. This thing is big, in a really big way.

I'm not sure what the heck attacked me at windmill. To me it looked like a stuffed bear. It knocked me unconscious and a friendly person hurried me to town.

I went to manor as fast as I could only to notice that I had been left a gift there. It was a book of riddles. But there were two self written riddles on the last page. I don't know who wrote them, but I ripped the page off and put it in my pocket. They included some grave accusations towards reverend Harding and magistrate Kroft, almost blaming them from everything that has happened.

And something has happened. Doctor Manning was found dead early today.

Also I'm not sure about lady Hanbrook. She happened to pass me by and noticed I had that book of riddles with me. She said that she had been looking for that one for some time now, she was afraid someone had stolen it and she was happy that I had been able to find it. She took it back right away.

I heard too that she had commanded her daughter to return at once.


Cooke's Inspections:
20.12.

I could not resist skulking around windmill again. And there I saw it. It was sitting outside. A stuffed bear. It didn't move so I closed in. I was too transfixed on the thing. It could have been my imagination, but I dare say that hellish creature WINKED it's eye on me! That's all I remember, someone hit me in the head then and I lost my consciousness... again.

I woke up later in town hall again and we exchanged information with captain Hawkins.

Hawkins has always been a man of reason. His story of how a volgovian nutcracker had attacked him was almost talk of a madman, but I'm inclined to think that there must have been some truth in his words too.

Stories are spreading how gifts that were opened too early have had serious consequences and toys acquired seem to be haunted in some way. Other disturbing tales tell of toy soldiers marching at night, pulling wooden cannons near Echo Lake.

As we were talking we heard gunfire coming from far away, we guessed that something happened there in the marsh. Hawkins sent off a squad of militia to manor.


Captain Hawkins' journal:
21.12.

Cooke left to manor, though I would have adviced him not to had I then known what I know now. I don't know what has happened to him.

I somehow unrealistically blamed the Scarlet Shadow for all this and I ventured back to abandoned keep. And there I found him, tending his injuries that were suffered I don't know from where.

I think now that I we must have been possessed by madness. Even injured, Scarlet Shadow was a force to deal with. We had a short fight. He hit me in the head once and stunned me and said that he wants to have a talk.

So I accepted.

That conversation easily held back the darkness that had almost consumed me, and dare I say whole Shadowbrook?

Scarlet Shadow has been making investigations of his own and now I know that if we're going to catch the one behind all this, we need to check the manor.

Our enemy is pushing us, though. The caravan arrived today to town for the first time, staying near magistrate's office.


Captain Hawkins' journal:
22.12.

I told Scarlet Shadow about Cooke and Hanbrooks. Then I left abandoned keep. I knew there were movement along the road to Shadowbrook from Echo Lake. I decided it would be best if I went through the old wood there was. I trusted to leave a note to Scarlet Shadow that he'd leave to one of my officers. I was calling for backup.

There I saw a stuffed bear. I suspected this was one of those that had caused Cooke's demise. It was, however, lifeless and did nothing. I still thought it best to burn it.

About this time the militia squad I was asking for appeared and not a moment too late. A small army of those knee-height toy soldiers launched an assault at us. I can't but think that the bear was a bait of sorts.

I injured badly during that fight. Two of my men transported me back to town hall. I guess my men are still fighting there as I write this.


Cooke's Inspections:
22.12.

I conversed with Lady Hanbrook, whom I trust wholly on this matter now. I think she's not holding any secrets from me. She's just a weak person - drunkard and a coward. She was, however, concerned about her husband, lord Hanbrook. She was afraid that something might happen to him. So she showed me a secret passage from manor to the monastery.

I arrived just in time. There was some kind of a secret ritual going on. There were people tied up and lifeless husks of toy soldiers there and masked humans. Me arriving sent the ritualists fleeing and I saved everyone there, including lord Hanbrook.

Lord Hanbrook pledged his alliances to me and proclaimed himself the hero of the people. Any time we would need him he would come. I could read from his expression that he was going to put up a fight now. Even if the manor kept it's secrets, Lord Hanbrook was totally open to me.

Shortly there after a person who had red clothes on appeared to us. He didn't tell us his name, but said he had been in contact with captain Hawkins and told us he believed the answer to this hell of a Christmas would be found from the manor.

Here Lord Hanbrook spoke that it was true indeed and he would provide us with any information we needed. He would gladly accompany us during the final confrontation but there were pressing matters we needed to know.

When we were talking we saw the caravan arriving to the yard of the monastery.

There was indeed dark and sinister things moving about. At the center of it, as Hanbrook told us, was volgovian nutcracker. It must be the same Hawkins saw a while ago.

It has magical powers and has made a mess out of the living in manor. Some of the village elders, reverend and magistrate for sure, are in league with it. So situation has been difficult for Hanbrooks alone. Now we need to find a plan how to destroy it.


Cooke's Inspections:
23.12.

I followed the secret passage back to manor and grabbed a nearby saber. Scarlet Shadow took an oath of the hunter.

I noticed something was wrong with lady Hanbrook when I returned. There had been another Christmas ball that had been attended by both reverend Harding and magistrate Kroft. I could not tell if something had changed. But definitely there was a new secret.


Captain Hawkins' journal:
24.12.

It was a slaughter!

I decided to expand the search and declare a full out war against toy soldiers, but there was indeed an army of them. I lost four squads of militia, managing to vanquish only one clear detachment of toy soldiers. There were too many. But then Cooke came to town and explained to me that we were going to launch an assault against the volgovian nutcracker that had conquered the manor.

Lord and Lady Hanbrook stood by our side and gave us direction. We were all there, me, Cooke and Scarlet Shadow. Lady shower quite an inner strenght in coming to fight. I had a pistol and a sabre Cooke had given to me, and Scarlet Shadow had a small hand crossbow.

We are going in now.


Memorial written by Lord Hanbrook
25.12.1797

It saddens me greatly that three great heroes gave their lives in defending our small and remote town.

Captain Hawkins went down first. In fact it seems that volgovian nutcracker was already waiting for us, as well as Harding and Kroft. Supernatural power that was in nutcracker's bite caught Hawkins by suprise. He was crippled and later bled to death.

We managed to tackle both Harding and Kroft, but three bodies were too horrible sight for my dear wife, who fled.

Next went down inspector Cooke, though he survived one attack that would have definitely cut him in two earlier. But instead a book he was carrying was knocked away.

Scarlet Shadow fought bravely. He had been fatally wounded and tricked the nutcracker to attack him in order to deal killing blow to that monster of a toy.

This horrible nightmare is over now and me and my wife were the only ones who survived that fight.



... phew.

It's amazing how, when you sit down and think things, games like this have a strong story going on. In my opinion I haven't stretched out imagination too wide in any part of that story. Things that happened on board made perfect sense.

This solo game kinda told me a nice story.

And the ending was heroic indeed, I managed to score last hit to 24 wound nutcracker on the last possible turn.

I would have wanted that Scarlet Shadow alone survived the nutcracker, that would have been a thrilling storyline too. But didn't happen so.

So, on with the statistics:

Villains played:
Volgovian Nutcracker: 1


Heroes played:
The Scarlet Shadow: 1
Captain Hawkins: 1
Inspector Cooke: 1

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a really great story! I was so sure it was Santa behind all of this evil :) Come to think of it, there could be really great stories if you write out all games. Or even some of them.

    -Taina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Touch of Evil usually tells nice stories if you sit down and think what the happenings tell, storywise.

    Volgovian Nutcracker is a new villain that was published last Christmas by Flying Frog Production.

    If you want to take a lookie, here's a linky: http://www.flyingfrog.net/atouchofevil/atoe_web_content.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That stuffed bear is just great.
    Oh, look what I found! He's so cute. I'll love him and hug him and.. wound.

    -Taina

    ReplyDelete