Monday, August 16, 2010

Vassal gaming (Warmachine)

First I'll tell a bit about Vassal game engine.

Vassal is a program that allows you to play different board- and miniature games on internet platform. It has modules for quite a many different games.

Today I played Warmachine/Hordes through it.

We played a 15 point game to give a Vassal beginner some experience in the program.

I played Circle Orboros and my list was:

Mohsar the Desertwalker
Feral Warpwolf
Gnarlhorn Satyr
Tharn Ravager White Mane

and my opponents list was:

Lylyth, herald of everblight
Carnivean
4x Shredders
Forsaken

Couple of first rounds we were circling around each other. I tried to come close protected by Pillars of Salt and opponent tried to keep as close to me as possible, but still out of my Sunhammer range.

But then it happened so that Carnivean sprayed one of my pillars to dust, exposing my satyr. Lylyth herself shot a damage roll of 6,6,5 to my poor little fellow. It was time for me to react or be turned to pincushion.

Well, I had Mirage up on Gnarlhorn Satyr.

Two shredders were in front of Lylyth and Forsaken ran in front of them.

I teleported Gnarlhorn to get a perfect slam against Lylyth, but it needed my Feral Warpwolf taking off the Forsaken. It was easy enough to do, Mohsar cast Bounding on both of my beasts. Then Warpwolf charged the Forsaken and killed it and rest fury went to beat off the Carnivean. Sad thing is, the thing still lived after six attacks, though not by much, only two points were left in the Spirit branch.

But then I realized that, lacking reach, I wouldn't be able to slam a shredder into Lylyth. I had to slam one away from her, stopping my Follow Up move in melee range of Lylyth. She had three fury for transfers, I was really counting on that I could beat her when she was on the ground. MAT 6 against DEF 16 is quite unreliable even with boosting.

I did hit with both of my attacks and brought her down to three health. I had my feat on at that moment, so I guess the opponent wanted to hold on to any precious Fury that would be around. Which was two.

Opponent used Lylyth's feat and healed a couple of beasts a little, one being Carnivean.

Carnivean then proceeded to kick Warpwolf arse, in which it promptly failed, one to hit roll of 1,1,1 helping me very much in that matter.

But I guess there could have been some honor in dying to such a great beast, but it was the pesky shredders that came in and devoured Warpwolf. From behind. Sad indeed.

Then two other shredders tried to bite Gnarlhorn that was standing next to Lylyth and didn't really hurt.

I was counting on losing Gnarlhorn, too, so I messed up my fury collecting.

It caused Gnarlhorn to have 2 fury.

I had Mirage on and teleported Gnarlhorn very, very stupidly. There were two shredders, one had one fury, the other none. I place Gnarlhorn next to the one with fury, and I failed my threshold check of course and gave Lylyth one fury to transfer damage with.

Well, every other beast was maxed out on fury except one shredder that was almost chopped to pieces already.

White Mane charged it and killed it. Then he used Overtake movement to turn around and bought another attack with shredder's heart against Carnivean and killed it and bought another attack at one of the shredders who killed Warpwolf. Didn't kill it, sadly.

Then was Mohsar's turn to activate. He was just a couple of pixels away from being able to advance and fling spells at Lylyth, so I had to overcharge Lylyth.

I despise that course of action even if it's allowed in rules.

But luckily even if I couldn't hold on to my principles when it was matter of life and death, the dice could.

I overcharged. I had 8 Fury (Upkeeped Mirage but maltreated the Satyr). So I shot a boosted Crevasse at Lylyth. I needed to roll at least 8 with three dice. Roll was: 1,1,4. Had I succeeded, I would've needed to roll only 5 with two dice or three dice had I boosted.

But I had another 4 Fury still, so I launched another boosted Crevasse.

Roll was: 1,4,1.

Thank you Dice Gods for punishing me for overcharging!

Next turn Lylyth takes a careful aim and shoots Mohsar dead with just one arrow. I had 11 health left and damage roll was 25.

Well, to be honest, if you picture the situation... Mohsar, blind old man, stumbles forward and manages to miss with a couple of destructive spells.

Lylyth looks at this pathetic mess and decides to show mercy on the blind, old granpa and puts him out of his misery. He never saw what hit him...

No comments:

Post a Comment