Friday, August 20, 2010

20.8.2010 Fantasiapelit Jyväskylä - Circle vs Protectorate

Played a game of Warmachine/Hordes today.

I played following list (25 pointer):

Morvahna
-Megalith
-Gnarlhorn Satyr
Bloodweavers
Shifting Stones
Tharn Ravager White Mane
War Wolf
Swamp Gobbers

Opponent was playing:

Kreoss
-Crusader
-Revenger
-Repenter
-Dervish
Minimum unit of Exemplar Errants
Paladin
Vassal

Map was a bit difficult even if I was playing Circle. There was a nice huge forest in the middle though. I actually have a picture taken from the end of first round:

It was a beautiful map and it was a pleasure playing on that. The bigger buildings don't show one the picture, though. Also I didn't want my unpainted Bloodweavers to come messing in the picture too. Anyway, it was a Kreoss' wall of steel on open ground or the softer targets in forest.

I was worried that my two beasts just would not be able to take down all four jacks so I dispatched my bloodweavers on that flank too. I must confess I was thinking too that even if only two get into contact with Kreoss...

I decided to send my White Mane and War Wolf just to stall errants and paladin.

They succeeded well enough.

On second turn I was close enough to get a charge off with my bloodweavers against light warjacks of Kreoss. Well, warjacks aren't their prime target, but I was still a bit disappointed at their performance. One lucky damage roll crippled left arm of Dervish, but that was about everything they did before they died.

My War Wolf ran to engage exemplar errants. Poor little woofy, it must have known what would follow... but if it bought me a turn of not getting shot at it was all fine. Morvahna can always resurrect the pooch after battle?

White Mane ran to woods also, but I placed him so that I could get his weapons to bear against warjacks if needed.

Well, then it was time for Kreoss to use his feat. Important models that were knocked over were all of my Bloodweavers and Gnarlhorn Satyr, White Mane and Swamp Gobbers.

One spray from Repenter later half of my bloodweavers were dead, and Dervish killed one, side-stepped and killed two more. End of them, Kreoss didn't even have to resort to using Purification to get away with Morvahna's signature spell "Regrowth" that allows me to bring back dead unit members.

Well, as they were no longer engaging the warjacks, Revenger brought it halberd to bear at my Satyr. Luckily enough it did little damage. Or it did some, but it was spread nicely on the life spiral, not losing any aspects.

Errants killed the pooch.

Then it was my turn to pay back the punishment. First hit from my Gnarlhorn Satyr against Revenger crippled that nasty shield, so I didn't get pushed back. Satyr managed to wreck the Revenger.

Then Megalith charged Crusader. I was thinking if I should cast one fully boosted Eruption of Life at Kreoss, but as I didn't do enough damage on Crusader I thought it'd be best to give the warjack as much damage as I could.

It did lose it's movement and open fist. But not the Inferno Mace. I was a bit worried for my Megalith though it had Restoration on. I got a picture here, too:

Repenter on the middle had earlier lost it's melee weapon to few boosted Eruption of Life's.

I had lost quite much too so that was about everything I could do.

Next turn Megalith took a serious beating. In fact that picture is taken when Crusader has mauled Megalith but before Kreoss has charged in. Megalith was left with something like 6-8 health. Opponent charged so that if I was going to come to Kreoss with Megalith I would take a free strike from Crusader.

Anyway.

I charged Kreoss with Morvahna herself, but here is where I got a bit too greedy. I wanted to turn Kreoss into a forest via my feat. Well, I didn't, Kreoss was left with three damage boxes after Morvahna poked around. Then it was up to Megalith to kill Kreoss after all, though it was quite uncertain kill condition. I boosted a Eruption of Life at Kreoss, hit and boosted damage and he was gone.

In hindsight there was waaay too much risk around. I could have walked into melee with Crusader with my Satyr and maybe crippled it enough not to be a threat to Megalith or even destroyed it entirely. Then I should have beaten Kreoss with all Megalith's got and then, after that if Kreoss still survived, charged in with Morvahna.

But in the end, Morvahna was victorious.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you don't mind if I use these pictures in my facebook account? I have to say that I did many mistakes with protectorate in that game, Paladin for one should have been in very different place all the time, also I forgot to use Kreoss in two different turns. Thankfully mistakes are made to be learning points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use 'em as you wish :)

    And no shame in mistakes, or I should shame myself off the face of Earth.

    ReplyDelete