Monday, September 13, 2010

Vows are spoken to be broken?

Well, in the future you can trust not to trust my holy promises. Another Vassal game in again, but I have a good reason. Next Tuesday (that's tomorrow?) I will get a "real" game played with real models.

Same opponent as last time, 35 point game. Lists involved were:

Circle Orboros (me):

Morvahna
- Argus
- Gorax
- Feral Warpwolf

Full unit of Wolves of Orboros + Unit Attachment
Bloodweavers
Shifting Stones

Blackclad Wayfarer
Lord of the Feast
Tharn Ravager White Mane

Protectorate of Menoth:

Epic Severius
- Redeemer
- Revenger
- Reckoner

Maximum unit of Choir of Menoth.
Daughters of Flame
Maximum unit of Temple Flameguard + Unit Attachment

Wracks
Rhupert Carvolo
Vassal of Menoth

So, game started.

First turn was rather boring, I cast Restoration on warpwolf and put on Harvest. Opponent put Holy Ward on Daughters of Flame and Rhupert played +1 defense and terror on Daughters. Then he tried all kinds of stuff, like shooting with Redeemer but shots deviated and tried to Hex Blast my warpwolf but managed to miss even with Severius' focus 8.

Second turn, however, was interesting to the extreme.

I was thinking that I'd launch my Bloodweavers to Daughters and dispel Holy Ward. I didn't remember that Rhupert had buffed them and was thinking that with two attacks I had a chance of getting even one hit.

But Terror from Rhupert called for a command check. I would have hit the Daughters had that command check been my attack roll... Anyway, Bloodweavers got scared.

Thus I didn't really want to risk all my other melee potential against defense 18 models. I really was thinking of killing nearly whole unit with White Mane and Lord of the Feast.

Well, situation called different approach, then. I teleported Lord of the Feast with Shifting Stones so that I could shoot my raven at Redeemer. I hit and placed Lord so that I snatched one choir boy to my melee range as well. I didn't do much but at least engaged Redeemer.

Then I ran White Mane close to Revenger. Put on Gorax's animus on Warpwolf and Warpwolf charged Revenger so that White Mane blocked the push effect of Revenger's shield. Warpwolf totally decimated Revenger, my damage rolls were quite excessive too. Well that meant sacrificing 12 points worth of models to a 6 point arc node.

Warpwolf was behind the wreck of the Revenger it had destroyed so was in cover against Severius' second Hex Blast. Missed. I rejoiced.

Choir of Menoth sang protectorate warjacks to hit and damage better.

I didn't rejoice that much when Reckoner assaulted Warpwolf. It managed to Flare my wolf but luckily didn't destroy it outright. Restoration that had managed to stick on my wolf despite two attempts at Hex Blast seemed to save it's life. Not that it mattered anything because of Goraxs' animus made Warpwolf to frenzy automatically.

Then Redeemer beat Lord of the Feast to ground.

Daughters of the Flame attacked then but didn't do actually anything. They attacked my Bloodweavers but every single roll missed them. One daughter hit twice White Mane but gave damage only in form of anatomical precision.

Rhupert gave daughters terror again and temple flameguard, hiding behind a forest, did nothing.

After this things looked rather good for me, in a way. At least the potential I saw in situation was nice.

Warpwolf frenzied and put 11 damage to Reckoner, which was about the only thing that succeeded on my turn.

Bloodweavers managed to regroup, which was nice. Then I brought Morvahna up and used my feat. Daughters were nicely close packed and temple flameguard were withing walking distance.

Well, I got only four Wolves of Orboros to combine a melee attack against centermost daughter so I needed 8 to hit. I rolled 3.

Then I got four Wolves at different positions in tightly packed flameguard. One hit.

Everything else I did that turn also missed and I found that I had done an illegal move (sprayed daughters with my Blackclad Wayfarer but they had Holy Ward on so I shouldn't have been able to target one with a spell) - luckily it resulted in nothing.

Next turn opponent smashed both White Mane and Warpwolf and punished a bit wolves.

Daughters of Flame killed two bloodweavers and put some hurt to my argus.

Then began the first turn that gave any real casualties to either of us.

First, remaining bloodweavers tried to charge Daughters of Flame to get that nasty upkeep off but, you guessed it, they failed their command check again and got scared.

Then I launched both of my remaining beasts against daughters and argus managed to eat one of them despite their defense 18 and Gorax just went wild and killed two. Morvahna advanced boldly and throwed an Eruption of Life to Redeemer, giving enough damage to cripple it's melee weapon.

Then my wolves sneaked very sneakishly. They gave one huge combined melee attack to daughters, killing one of them. Still there were two remaining... two wolves advanced to engage Redeemer and three engaged temple flameguard. One, however, moved behind flameguard and punched a hole in the only remaining wrack.

Wrack was destroyed and thus it exploded and nailed three flameguard in the process.

Situation startet to look good when opponent failed to kill two engaging Wolves with the Redeemer. It meant that it couldn't throw an ancillary attack to my huge pack of wolves that were combined melee attacking the daughters.

But then Reckoner slowly advanced into melee with my Argus. Choir had sung to hit better so the little doggie bit the dust. That one really hurt.

Little things happened here and there, most of them failed, but then Severius moved up a bit and used his feat. That killed few Wolves.

It was my turn then again. Regrowthed Wolves were again at full strenght and I popped few of them behind shield walled flameguard. But all they ever did was killing two flameguards and engaged redeemer again. Even two dice +12 combined melee attack wasn't enough to bring one daughter down and Gorax did no better. All in all I killed two flameguards and one choir acolyte in my whole turn and did six damage to Reckoner by a courageous charge with Morvahna. (Well maybe it wasn't so courageous as I could teleport her away to safety...)

Then came a decisive turn. I lost my last warbeast and opponent got rid of my Regrowth with Hex Blast.

I was left with six Wolves of Orboros, a lone bloodweaver, shifting stones and Morvahna who had already had to cut herself a bit.

Opponent had Reckoner, Redeemer, Vassal, Rhupert, Choir, four Flameguards and two Daughters. Severius had taken two points of damage.

It was all-out then. I teleported shifting stones out of the way and charged Morvahna to Reckoner.

I was close enough to fling Eruption of Life's to Severius and it was my only chance, really. At first we played wrong and I won the game. Then I happened to look the Reckoner's Ashen Veil rule which gave Morvahna minus to attack rolls and I hat hit Severius at exactly 7's.

So, my desperate victory was turned into bitter defeat. Old man Severius came and beat up Morvahna personally in melee.

No comments:

Post a Comment