Saturday, September 11, 2010

Old foes meet again

Played a game of Warmachine on Vassal. I also made a promise that next few games must be played with real miniatures instead of pixels.

It was a 35 point game versus Protectorate of Menoth, against a friend with whom we have always played close games.

My list was:

Warwitch Deneghra
-Nightwretch
-Nightwretch
-Corruptor
-Slayer

Full unit of Mechanithralls
Withershadow Combine

Bane Lord Tartarus
Warwitch Siren
Skarlock Thrall


Opponent was playing:

Amon
-Dervish
-Dervish
-Devout
-Repenter
-Scourge of Heresy

Full Temple Flameguard + Unit Attachment
Full Choir of Menoth

Reclaimer
Paladin Dartan Vilmon


I won starting roll and rushed everything forward. Seeing as the opponent didn't have any real ranged threat I thought why not. There was a small forest at the center and I piled my forces around in there.

Opponent did the same, though he wasn't too aware that Deneghra has a nasty spray spell. He lined up Temple Flameguard rather... awkwardly.

However, came my turn. I messed up absolutely EVERYTHING I could. I ran one of my arc nodes to other side of Flameguard and was thinking of making one arc node from the Flameguard itself by Corruptor.

Nice plan and all, but Corruptor was in that forest and couldn't get LOS to Flameguard. I could have easily gotten it if I had cast Ghost Walk on Corruptor with my Skarlock, but I cast Crippling Grasp on Temple Flameguard instead.

Well, I moved Deneghra as far as I could to get that other arc node to my control range. Failed again. Then I spammed Influence on Flameguard because that was all I could do with all my focus. I managed to kill two Flameguards.

Opponent then punished me quite a bit. Two Dervishes combined with Mobility and Amon's feat and upkept Synergy walzed to my Slayer, destroyed it and the last bugger even managed to kill Tartarus by side-stepping next to it.

Flameguards did nothing impressive but were still quite far in my lines engaging stuff.

Both of my heavy hitters were gone (well, you can call Mechanithralls heavy hitters too but they were engaged) and opponent was still sporting five warjacks, one of which was a heavy warjack.

It was time for either Amon to die or get myself roundhouse-kicked away from the virtual playing board.

Luckily a scheme emerged. I had a free arcnode that was out of Deneghra's control range. But my Warwitch Siren still lived so she went and gave the bonejack a focus point, which it spent to ran next to Amon.

Then Withershadow Combine put Puppet Master on Deneghra and Skarlock spelled her with Ghost Walk.

Deneghra advanced into that much maligned forest that earlier had caused my first EVER usable situation to use Psycho Venom to fail.

I feated and all except Vilmon was beneath. Most importantly Amon was under.

I had full seven focus to use and Puppet Master re-rolls to be used as required. I decided to take a risk first and not boost the attack roll. I managed to hit and boosted damage. Damage roll was high, gave 11 points in to Amon.

Next I thought I'd use one Venom, this time with full boosts. I hit again and boosted damage, this time giving in just enough damage points to leave Amon sitting at one health and corrosion. Even though it would have been beyond cool to leave the opposing warcaster to melt into nothingess I decided to use Puppet Master rerolls here. I rolled all the bad dice again but I rolled still bad. However, just enough to kill Amon right there on the spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment