Monday, January 27, 2020

Existential Monkey Business

Again now for something Malifaux. A game of 50 soul stones with Corrupted Idols strategy.

My list:

Molly + Necrotic construct
Philip & Nanny + Grave Spirit Touch
Madame Sybelle
Mourner + Grave Spirit Touch
2x Crooligan
Rotten belle

6x stones

Schemes: Detonate Charges, Harness the Ley Lines


Opponent had

Asami Tanaka + Amanjaku
Ohaguro Bettari
Ama No Zako
2x Obsidian Oni
Jorogumo

9x stones

Schemes: Harness the Ley Lines, Search the Ruins


I had mistakenly thought that Jorogumo's had Ruthless. This is why I opened the game by using Mourner's Blasphemous Ritual and walking her within walking distance of Jorogumo. I hadn't grasped the Flicker mechanics yet. But I thought I should be quite safe with Terrifying (11), Disguised (charges generate no attacks against her) and Hard to Wound.

But the one attack Jorogumo was able to do brought Mourner down to health remaining, so I panicked and yanked her away from action with Madame Sybelle, who in turn went to engage Jorogumo.

Molly and Philip questioned the Jorogumo to death. I suppose their interrogation methods must be exhausting. However, another Jorogumo popped into existence right away via Asakami's summons.

Also, the burning ground thingy Obsidian Oni's have... I didn't know how terribly Burning condition is. And one Obsidian Oni had come to center of the board.

Turn 2 I won initiative, but somehow thought activating Philip & Nanny first was the right thing to do, and get some Boring Conversations going on, as well as to put their Chatty ability into use. Next thing I knew, I had Philip & Nanny, Madame Sybelle, Crooligan and Rotten Belle inside burning ground. What a nightmare.

I don't know what the heck I could have done if it wasn't for Rotten Belle, who took a point of Burning, walked away and lured Obsidian Oni with her. Given their impressive Willpower, I was lucky to have it succeed.

Crooligans and Molly were pretty good at dismantling enemy scheme markers. Ohaguro Bettari charged Philip & Nanny, an attack that burned a good portion of my soulstones. But the prams survived.

Necrotic Construct had engaged another Obsidian Oni earlies in game, and I was faced with a dilemma - Oni was at one health remaining, and it had put up the burning ground thing already. Necrotic Construct was also at one health remaining. Kill the Oni? Dead. Try to heal yourself, disengage and do something else? For +3 burning, sure. Luckily Madame Sybelle was able to get Necrotic Construct's back... only to have the construct wrecked by Jorogumo.


It was probably Mourner who fed on the Oni's grief to have it explode with no-one inside it's radius. Oh wait, no. Mourner tried to do that and would've succeeded if it wasn't for Black Joker who made her damage track 0/0/0. Molly told the Oni a really disturbing story, and it exploded. Then she walked to strategy marker and threw it away from centerline.


I had laid the centerline full with scheme markers, and was able to score three points on turn 2 - detonate charges on Ohaguro, and Harness the Ley Lines.

It's curious how in this game often seems to happen that what you consider safe & sound course of action turns out wrong.

I was pretty certain I had secured my end phase Harness the Ley Lines with a crooligan who had laid scheme markers in the safety of my left side board. Nope. Asami had a double walk there, blew the crooligan six inches into the hazard terrain and used free action to eat all of my precious scheme markers.

Also, scoring Detonate the Charges seemed unlikely, because damn it - enemy models were detonating themselves already!

Serene Countenance and Hard to Wound on Molly make her quite survivable. She had four health remaining, as she had been tossing corrupted idols.

Then some stupid monkeys pop out of nowhere and throw them back. Ohaguro dies when it threw one idol back to centerline, too.

It wasn't until fourth turn when scoreboard saw any additional movement. Opponent scored one point from Corrupted Idols.

Had Amanjaku survived when it went to engage Molly, there could have been a chance of draw. But Mourner overachieved and killed the totem, and Molly was able to secure me a second point from from Corrupted Idols. We decided to end the game there, as opponent had no realistic chances to score three points for a draw in last round, all the while blocking me from littering the centerline with scheme markers.

It was a fun scenario and a good game.

No comments:

Post a Comment