Thursday, January 9, 2020

Minsc and Boo were there

Oh, I completely forgot to publish this one when I was in Kuhmo. So, these games were played during Christmas time, when I got to play my first full games of Betrayal at Baldur's Gate.

A total of five games were played, with all but one being played with four players. One was done with three instead.

I think we got a pretty good distribution of different haunts. One with no traitor, one with bogus traitor, one with all players kind of being traitors, and two "honest" traitors. Of course I cannot know for sure how many alternate versions there are, but I think the only one we missed was one with a hidden traitor.

1st game: Fire in the Sky 38 (four players)

Here suddenly fire rained down from the sky for various reasons. Adventurers needed to carry some civilians to the safety of a teleportation circle to win. There were no traitors here, so I suppose it was a good introduction to core mechanics without the hassle of an asymmetrical ruleset. Adventurers won, although it was a close call.


2nd game: Rabble Rousers 10 (four players)

I was playing the dwarf warrior who was able to take hits for other players. With Cursed Armor, Berserker Axe and Iron Flask of Tuerny (spelling?) I was the traitor. Being able to take hits for the citizen who was guarding the treasure chest gave me a plan: lure all adventurers to the neglected shrine, take hits for the citizen to deny adventurers opening chest all the while attacking other players. Then, once all are in, I'd lob the flask, unleashing a demon to attack everybody. Bwahahaha.

Well, I rolled poorly for the peasant movement, so they weren't of much use. And first player to enter same square with me dealt around six or seven damage to the peasant. There were... some limits in how valiantly I would sacrifice my character, so the chest was opened. Which unleashed the monster.

It went down relatively easy - after all, no players had been injured by peasants (or my dwarf, for that matter) and nobody died. Except for the monster.

3rd game: The Big Score 36 (three players)

This scenario had players eventually competing against each other. First the halfling rogue found Star of Cthay, but it was stolen from her by evil wizard. From evil wizard it was stolen by... uhh... I don't remember which character I played. It was probably the evil monk. And at last, evil halfling stole it back and won the game.

Nice game it was, as each player held the Star at least once. Instead of one-sided run-through we had players using more or less violent methods to acquire the treasure.

4th game: Priscilla 21 (four players)

And here drow ranger proved to be the traitor, who was possessed by evil spirit. It was a close call, this one. Eventually Priscilla was able to seize enough eyes to win the day - victory for the traitor, that is. However, the players did have at least two chances to succeed in their banishing ritual.

5th game: Bottled Lightning 29 (four players)

Halflings are not to be trusted. The rogue was a homicidal maniac who valued a little ornament over the life of her comrade. The druid, on the other hand, went whole-hog in demonic manifestations. Her bloodthirstiness was her undoing, however. She, too, found it more appealing to murder all the people she once knew instead of trying to stop a particular chamber from flooding. While multiple adventurers died, the chamber was soon inaccessible and traitor lost the game.


Throughout all the games, each adventurer was being played at least once, which somehow pleases my completionist tendencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment