Monday, February 25, 2019

Fate Crossed Crossed

Exactly a week ago I played this 50 point game of Warmachine.

My list:

Lord Arbiter Hexeris [+27]
- Agonizer [6]
- Aradus Soldier [16]
- Archidon [10]
- Rhinodon [12]
Maximus [4]
Mortitheurge Willbreaker [4]
Paingiver Task Master [3]
Wrong Eye [17]
Paingiver Beast Handlers (min) [5]

Opponent had:

Calandra Truthsayer, Oracle of the Glimmerwood [+27]
- Dire Troll Bomber [19]
- Dire Troll Mauler [15]
Janissa Stonetide [4]
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters (max) [19]
Thumper Crew [5]
Trollkin Fennblades (max) [15]


Scenario was Throw Down from main rulebook. Curiously enough both armies had Star Crossed at their disposal, so futile never-ending miss streak for both parties was expected.

It was confusing to be outnumbered this badly against trollbloods. So I tried to be extra protective with my warbeasts. Though I was worried about scenario play.

Fennblades started flanking me, and eventually I found them from my side of the table. Ultimate pincer move. I had made good enough progress in killing Nyss Hunters from zone on right, and put some hurt on the troll heavies, I was scared of the fennblades. Once the two troll heavies hurled themselves at me, I lost Wrong Eye & Snapjaw. I probably could have tried to 'play the long game' and try to remove one dire troll at a time. That might even have been the best, if I'd have dared to give some scenario points for trollbloods from left.

But the flanking fennblades were too scary. Hexeris would have probably been safe with Cloak of Ash, but still almost a full unit of charging P+S 12 models against your warlock had me trying to go in for assassination
.

My plan was to either kill or cripple Dire Troll Mauler's mind with Maximus to free last remaining Beast Handler to go and buff Archidon. Calandra didn't have Star Crossed on, but still I ought to re-name Maximus to Maximiss. Beast Handler had to take a free strike, and died. This is where I should have aborted assassination, but without better judgement I pressed on.

Rhinodon ran close enough to function as a channeler against Calandra.

Hexeris cast Black Spot on Calandra, but missed. This triggered Bullet Dodger, and suddenly Calandra was two additional inches away from Archidon. This is where I really, really should have aborted the plan and hope that Archidon would kill Mauler. And yet I pressed on.

Archidon was able to charge, but with only P+S 15 and the charge took it out of...

Oh.

This is the "not Essence Blasting Void Spirit" all over again. I thought charge took Archidon away from Hexeris' control area, but the beast has Long Leash.

So I could have boosted the charge attack. Bummer. Though it's quite unlikely that would have changed anything. One P+S 15 charge attack doesn't have very good chances of taking out even an ARM 14 warlock with single hit. I would have needed that Beast Handler for +2 str and free charge.

Thanks to Cloak of Ash it took some effort for opponent to kill DEF 17 Hexeris that had a couple transfers. But if I remember correctly, Hexeris had already taken some damage earlier when Wrong Eye landed on him, knocking warlock down. Anyway, it was a loss for Skorne.



No comments:

Post a Comment