Friday, March 15, 2013

You Can Accomplish Anything (if the dice never fail!)

Well, this is written in a bit of hurry. Dwarf Fortress has been distracting me too much lately, and soon enough I need to start packing for a trip to Turku Fanatic 2013 tournament.

But some time ago I played a Cryx versus Protectorate game. It was 35 points and randomed scenario from Masters scenario set.

My list:

Mortenebra
- Harrower
- Nightmare
- Ripjaw
- Stalker

Minimum unit of Satyxis Raiders + Sea Witch
Minimum unit of Mechanithralls

And opponent played:

Grand Scrutator Severius
- Crusader
- Revenger

Minimum unit of Choir of Menoth
Maximum unit of Temple Flameguard + Unit Attachment
Exemplar Errants + Unit Attachment
Exemplar Errant Seneschal
Knight Exemplar Seneschal
Hierophant
Vassal of Menoth

So... what can I say? 19 my models versus 35 enemy models. Nearly outnumbered 2:1. I think using two 10 point jacks and 9 points worth of bonejacks was a bit overdoing it at 35 points. Would've probably been better to use Mortenebra's tier instead, or drop Stalker and have full unit of Mechanithralls + Surgeon instead.

Scenario was Process of Elimination, and I get to go first. Picture is taken from the end of opponents first turn.

I had sent mechanithralls to deathjack objective marker, along with a couple of Satyxis Raiders.

I was really unsure how to start handling this situation next. I knew I had to try to distract temple flameguard somehow, so I positioned Mechanithralls so they could easily charge deathjack marker if left without attention.

Nightmare with two focus and Spectral Steel charged to some Exemplar Errants, killing two of them. I was a bit bummed because of that, since I had planned on getting at least three within melee range. Mortenebra had also cast Terminal Velocity earlier.

Harrower with two focus just advances a bit and shoots its cannon at Errants, killing two more. After boosting attack roll it had one focus which it used to boost blast damage roll.

Then Satyxis make a goofy charge, where only one raider actually charges and rest just run. And damn! It kills two Errants!

Last and least Stalker goes and chews one more errant, meaning that 7 of those headaches were removed. However, feeling of triumph did not last for long...

On opponents following turn three exemplar errants and Revenger with 3 focus wreck arm 20 Nightmare. Sure I expected heavy damage... but not getting entirely wrecked!

Also, Mortenebra was just under Severius' feat. I did not enjoy that.

And as an injury to insult, Severius cast Ashes to Ashes to the back of one of his flameguards, and additional hits were 6. Under Eye of Menoth opponent didn't even need to make damage rolls, since double 1's would be exactly enough to kill anything. Oh wait, one damage roll was made... against the objective marker!

Anyway, one Satyxis and four Mechanithralls were almost 50% of my infantry.

I really tried to make a useful turn next. I tried to cast Overrun to Stalker with Deryliss (outside of Severius' control range), but was about half an inch short.

Stalker then misses one attack against errant seneschal, and other claw doesn't kill.

Satyxis charge all over the place, Temple Flameguard included. They fail their command check that was caused by Temple Flameguard's unit attachment.

Remaining mechanithralls (2) move and try to hit flameguards, missing every attack. That was to be expected though, since they had Defender's Ward on.

As a futile attempt Ripjaw goes and makes armor piercing attack against uglyn objective marker. Deals 4 points in. Mortenebra moves and tries to contest deathjack's zone.

That was just plain awful turn, just about everything failed that could fail.

Sadly I don't have a picture of opponents next turn, but ALL of the Satyxis were killed, Deryliss was killed and Stalker wrecked. Charging temple flameguard destroy Harrower's melee weapon, and after enemy finishes that brutal beating, I got only Mortenebra standing, Harrower with no melee weapon and Ripjaw left.

Any possible assassination had been made nigh impossible with the removal of Harrower's arm.

However, I took my time pondering on my possible actions, I saw a small - very small possibility of getting Ripjaw to Severius. Why, oh why Severius is not on a medium base...

Well, having lost the game otherwise I attempt it. Two focus to Ripjaw and one for Harrower.

Harrower tramples through temple flameguard, and manages to pass 9+ on two dice three times, killing three of them. Most important one was one that was engaging and blocking Ripjaw's possible movement. That was already too good to be true.

Mortenebra then casts Spectral Steel on Ripjaw and Overrun on herself, uses her feat and kills one temple flameguard that had ran to engage her. Ripjaw moves 7", and easily goes to chew Severius a little, ignoring free strikes thanks to Ghostly from Spectral Steel.


So it got two attacks in with a damage boost. Both times attack roll had to be re-rolled, I did not even boost them, because I was playing for maximum possible damage.

First damage roll with P+S 12 was ridiculous, something like 4,5,6. If I remember right, it left focusless Severius to four hit points. Bought attack came with P+S 10, and with three dice rolled enough to kill Severius.

I don't remember having this weird last resort victory in Mk2. I actually didn't even feel like winning, I felt like cheating, because this outcome was so unexpected even for me.

Still a good game, though, with nasty choices to be made.

But I guess you can pull off pretty crazy stuff if dice won't fail even once.

No comments:

Post a Comment