Saturday, March 31, 2012

Iron Aggression (now, what a cool name for a podcast, right?)

A couple of days ago I played a game of Warmachine on Vassal with a friend of mine.

We played a 50 point game with the scenario Incursion.

I played, well, with Scaverous.

My list was:

Scaverous
- Reaper
- Ripjaw
- Nightwretch

Maximum unit of Bane Thralls + Unit Attachment
Withershadow Combine

Bane Lord Tartarus
Skarlock
Gorman diWulfe
Necrotech & Scrap Thrall
Pistol Wraith
Warwitch Siren
Wrong Eye & Snapjaw

And opponent had:

High Executioner Servath Reznik
- Templar
- Castigator
- Reckoner

Maximum unit of Temple Flameguard
Maximum unit of Exemplar Cinerators
Minimum unit of Choir of Menoth
Vassal Mechanic
Vassal of Menoth
Hierophant
Vessel of Judgement


Opponent won the starting roll and first picture is taken from the end of my first turn. As it turned out, the random flag that was removed was the one where all of my Bane Thralls were stationed.

Anyway, next turn things started rolling. First of all, I began to build a little nausea for Vessel of Menoth.

It fired up its Admonisher cannon at my Ripjaw, boosting attack roll and damage roll and both damage rolls on two of my stealthed guys there... Warwitch Siren and Tremulus. Luckily Tremulus survived, but still. The Vassal Mechanic repaired 4 damage, which meant that Vessel was undamaged again.

On my turn I decided to actually use Scaverous' feat.

I positioned Ripjaw so that I could cast Telekinesis on Vessel and Wrong Eye and Snapjaw. That made it possible for me to charge the battle engine, and thanks to god-like damage rolls the engine was destroyed before it did any more harm for me.

For some unknown reason I totally failed at tactics when my Pistol Wraith wanted to desperately flank up opponent rather than collect a control point for me, but what can you do... Pistol Wraiths are a stubborn bunch...

Other feat spells went to Feast of Worms and Icy Grip on Temple Flameguard.

Results were all nice and sweet, but they encouraged me to try to do a Tartarus + a couple of Death Tolled Bane Thralls charge... which failed completely.

Tartarus killed one Flameguard and couldn't make it into a thrall because I couldn't place it in unit coherency. Templar took 9 points of damage in, but it didn't break anything. Good riddance, Tartarus.

Maelovus and Tremulus killed a couple of Flameguards too, who eventually failed their command check. I guess that was about all that happened during Scaverous' feat turn.

Opponents next turn didn't go all that well.

He tried to charge Reaper with Templar, but the charge fell short. Though now there was a arm 21 warjack controlling the central flag.

Reckoner and Castigator killed a couple of Bane Thralls and Tartarus. A bit sad thing, but at least Scaverous wasn't shot to pieces.

Now, I did a little bit of a fail thing on my turn. I cast Telekinesis on Templar, which triggered Witch Hound, which caused the aforementioned Templar to run away. Ah well. Then it took the combined efforts of Reaper, Snapjaw and two withershadow combine members to wreck the warjack.

Bane Thralls then charged the two warjacks on right side, but not managing to wreck either one of them. Some systems broke, actually most of the systems broke, but in the end Bane Thralls were destined to die.

Now, the most horrible blunder on my part was the fact that Wrong Eye wouldn't be able to leach fury from THR 8 Snapjaw... But I did score two control points.

Opponent does a ballsy move on next turn, then.

Bane Thralls are pretty much obliterated by a Combustion and whatever Reckoner could come up with. Cinerators rush forward to contest the leftmost flag, and Reznik himself lunges forward and uses his feat.

Now, use of Reznik's feat probably saved my Wrong Eye though.

Anyway.

I needed to either kill Reznik or score a point.

Well, killing a warcaster is always awesome, so I tried to do that.

So I needed to stack an effect upon effect upon effect.

First Gorman threw Black Oil on Reznik and Necrotech. That meant -4 defense.

Then Scaverous cast Feast of Worms on my controlling Necrotech to give Reznik -2 arm.

Then Bane Thrall Officer ran next to Reznik, so all in all the executioner had -4 def, -4 arm.

So only now I felt confident enough to March Snapjaw to munch on Reznik.

And the beast succeeded, at last possible boost.

Could this be possible? Scaverous won his first game!

No comments:

Post a Comment