Saturday, October 1, 2011

Facing my own medicine

I also got in a game of Warmachine today. These two occasions kinda took the whole day, though, but I guess I don't complain.

I played against a long time on/off player, who at the moment didn't have an army of his own, so I loaned my Cryx for him. It was a bit ironic situation, as I had bought the playing board from the same person and as his warcaster he chose Scaverous, a model which I had bought also from him earlier. So the original owner got the first game out of my Scaverous on a board that was originally crafted by him. Boo hoo.

(I haven't played Scaverous yet because he isn't painted yet.)

Anyway, it was a 35 point game with a straight caster kill. Lists were:

Me:
Epic Krueger
- Megalith
- Gnarlhorn Satyr

Druids of Orboros + Overseer
Maximum unit of Wolves of Orboros + Unit Attachment
Totem Hunter
Reeve Hunter
War Wolf

Opponent:
Lich Lord Scaverous
- Harrower
- 2x Deathrippers

Maximum unit of Bane Thralls + Unit Attachment
Minimum unit of Bile Thralls
Bane Lord Tartarus
Warwitch Siren

Opponent won the starting roll and the first picture is taken from the end of my first turn. I tried some laughable shenanigans there by making druids of orboros immune to elemental damage and casting two lightning storms on them, but to be honest, it was pretty ridiculous as the deviations strayed badly. Maybe it'd be good enough to try in some other situation.

Well, there's not much else to tell about the first round, except that druids with their antimagic really saved my bacon versus Scaverous.

Lucky shot from Harrower killed one of my druids, but that was really the only loss I suffered there. Otherwise it just could've been 2x Excarnate + 2x purges even at this point of game...

On my turn I got to do a nice pull tricks again. However, first I charged with Totem Hunter some bane thralls and sprinted behind the ruined pillar thing at the back of picture. Totem Hunter is just beyond picture. His prey was Bane Lord Tartarus, by the way.

Then Reeve Hunter charges a bane thrall, kills it and shoots two bile thralls dead. Then he gets greedy and tries to come poke bane thralls with his p+s 9 battle blade, failing miserably.

Druids advance and shoot off at Harrower some force bolts. Every bolt that hits drags harrower only 1" and the last one bring it into combat with Reeve Hunter too, so all in all that didn't go too well.

But then Krueger activates, moves up and casts Gallows on Harrower, boosting hit of course. Gallows hits despite of harrower's melee bonuses and is pulled whopping 6" directly towards. Learning to play safe I didn't boost the damage and cast Telekinesis instead, getting Krueger a bit farther from arc nodes and other stuff, retaining one fury for damage transfers.

Megalith starts beating up the harrower and doesn't do it just by itself and the satyr needs to come up and help. Harrower had the Death Ward spell on it, but throwing enough pillows at it finally wrecked the thing.

Now, then it's opponents turn and again counter magic from druids saves quite a lot.

Because for now, Scaverous casts Telekinesis on only one bile thrall, Tartarus and ghost walk on Bane Thralls.

Now, you may wonder why the heck Tartarus is where he is, but he went off to kill Totem Hunter. Which he did, really really well.

The one bile thrall who was moved up a bit tallied the following with a purge:
- Reeve Hunter
- 5x druids of Orboros + overseer
- 4 damage on Gnarlhorn
- 4 damage on Megalith

So... screw you bile thralls.

Now, I don't even want to imagine what would've been done without the counter magic.

If I'm doing my math right, it seems very possible that correctly lining up two bile thralls could've erased those things this one purge did, and on top of that most of my Wolves of Orboros. That imaginary potential will surely give me nightmares once I go sleep.

Anyway, on my turn the Megalith advances as far as it can and casts Gallows on Scaverous, who was without any camped focus. Scaverous is dragged for only 1", but boosted damage roll was a bit excessive, dealing 10 points in.

Then gnarlhorn beats up the lone bane thrall who was out-of-formation and Krueger advances towards Scaverous. Krueger had to cast telekinesis on himself as Scaverous was beyond 10" but below 12" away from Krueger.

First lightning hits, deals 4 points in.

Second lightning deals some 8 points in and it's game over.

This game really made me wonder again why I've been a bit hesitant to use Druids of Orboros...

No comments:

Post a Comment