Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Justice is served when sisters fight it out

Wraith Witch Deneghra versus Major Haley!

Need more to be said? Well, the lists involved were:

Deneghra
- Nightmare
- Ripjaw
- Nightwretch

Maximum unit of Satyxis Raiders + Sea Witch
Orin Midwinter
Ogrun Bokur (Deneghra being the client)
Warwitch Siren
Satyxis Captain
Skarlock

and

Haley
- Thorn

Arcane Tempest Gun Mages + Officer
- Cyclone
Stormblade Infantry + Unit Attachment
Arlan Strangeywayes
Squire
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution

Need I even say that opponent won the starting roll? Also, pictures include lots of proxying until the real blues arrive to the stage.

Anyway, I was like, super-scared of Eiryss (it didn't help much that I supposed it to be the prime version), but I still felt courageous enough to not give any focus to any warjack and ran Deneghra as much forward as you can see in the picture.

Satyxis Raiders didn't move too much and I built up a strong loathing of Cyclone in the first round of the game.

Ripjaw ran into the forest, helped by Ghost Walk from Skarlock and Power Booster from Warwitch.

I felt that I needed at least to try to make a situation where I would be quite able to counter Haleys feat with Deneghra's.

However, opponent didn't close in and maybe it was for the best, eventhough I was plain in the open I was unassailable enough without the use of Haley's feat.

Well, as I had all of my options available I tried to cherry-pick some key models from opposing army by sacrificing my Ripjaw, who was again Ghost Walked and Power Boosted (warjack support that's nearly Protectorate-like!)

I was too afraid of losing 4 focus for nothing so I tried to play safe and cast Hellmouth so Eiryss was dragged into it. The elf just didn't die, though. She was left alive with just one wound. All I ever got out of sacrificing my Ripjaw were three dead Stormblades.

As much as I would have loved to launch my Satyxis to tie up opponents entire army I just had to resort to charging some random models I could see. In hindsight running would have been a lot better options as I could have tied up Eiryss (now I was half an inch short). The only one who actually got to make a charge attack missed the Stormblade officer.

Well, opponent backed up still. Haley dominated my Ripjaw and brought it to middle of her army. You can guess the result even if you can't see the wreck marker in picture that clearly...

Stormblades assaulted Satyxis and three of them got killed. Then Cyclone messed up the charge lanes of my beloved Satyxis again so they did very little in my turn.

As I couldn't force opponent to use Haley's feat yet I rinsed & repeated what I did earlier. Ran an arc node somewhere in there and cast Hellmouth on Squire. This time results were devastating. Haley lost 10 health boxes as well as Cyclone lost its marshal.

I really hoped sacrifices were worth it as now I didn't have arc nodes any longer (well, theoretically I had but I just couldn't make myself believe Nightwretch would survive for a turn...)

Come next turn.

As expected, Nightwretch was reduced to scrap metal and Eiryss repositioned herself.

Nightmare charged remaining Stormblades and killed them. Satyxis ran to tie up opposing forces.

Skarlock cast Ghost Walk on Orin Midwinter who advanced full distance he could and took cover from wall. He cast Null Magic and Haley was well in range.

Then I ran Deneghra fast forward, camping all 7 focus she had.

Ogrun Bokur positioned himself so he could offer his generous shield to any of the 2 solos and a warcaster close to him.

Well, then.

First off, Arcane Tempest Gun Mages move or aim for taking shots at Orin. One could move so far that it got a clear shot at Orin without him gaining cover.

Shot hit home and Ogrun Bokur did what it gets paid for. Luckily, though, as damage roll was enough to kill Orin nearly twice.

The other two missed their shots, scoring just enough to miss by one.

Then it was time for me to nealry pee my pants.

Eiryss came in, needing 9 to hit Deneghra in woods she managed to roll enough.

Off went her 7 focus.

Then Cyclone lumbered forward in rough terrain of my former Ripjaw and rolled 5 initial attacks. Orin was in cover, though, meaning Cyclone needed double 6's to hit.

It didn't hit.

So Haley backed off, unable to move her with Telekinesis beyond the linear obstacle and then charging off focusless Deneghra.

She didn't use her feat even now. I don't know if opponent forgot about it or if there was an evil cunning plan of sorts.

But anyway, here's what happened.

Warwitch ran somewhere in there.

Deneghra charged the warwitch and used her feat. She had allocated Nightmare three focus earlier. Then she cleared some models with one Hellmouth shot in the back of Arlan Strangewayes (who didn't even die from it).

As we later saw whole clearing wasn't even necessary - Nightmare gaines prey movement bonus from nearby Thorn and 11" + reach was more than enough to get Nightmare to Haley.

However, as the distance wasn't that clear Nightmare charged Arlan instead. I really didn't want to fail a charge completely. But as it happened, one initial attack and two focus were enough to punish Haley for her invincibility in the backstory.

Embrace the irony, too. Nightmare ripping Haley in two halves.

No comments:

Post a Comment