Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Farewell, MkII tournaments

So, there was a 50 point, three round Warmachine tournament last Saturday.

This was supposed to be the swansong of my Mk2 Warmachine tournaments. Sure, it is going to be the last one for me. It just turned out to be a... a swangurgle or something.

I had stayed up for sixteen hours (and counting) when the tournament started and was building up a nice little hangover. Seemed like a good idea at the time...

I had two lists, but since it was DC [0] I ended up playing with one list only.

Deneghra the Soul Weaver
- 2x Nightwretch
- Leviathan
- Nightmare

Maximum unit of Mechanithralls + 2x Brute Thrall + Skarlock Commander
Necrosurgeon
Withershadow Combine
Ogrun Bokur
Orin Midwinter
Pistol Wraith
Skarlock
Necrotech & Scrap Thrall
Soul Trappers

Objective: Bunker

First tournament round was against:

Anson Durst

- Devout
- 2x Reckoner

Minimum unit of Choir of Menoth
Daughters of the Flame
Maximum unit of Temple Flameguard + Unit Attachment
Maximum unit of Holy Zealots + Unit Attachment
Aiyana & Holt
Orin Midwinter
Reclaimer
Vassal of Menoth
Vassal Mechanic
Wracks

Objective: Fuel cache

Looks somewhat familiar match? Yeah. Thirty three percent of the games were against people from my home town.

I forgot to take pictures for quite a while. But that only makes the first picture even more impressive.

Deneghra charged somewhere, I forget where actually, but engages Anson Durst anyway. She has Arm 26 and nine souls coming up next turn. Deneghra got the soul train moving in this game, and damn did it encourage whimsical recklessness in me.

Protectorate didn't try to assassinate. Probably because Aiyana didn't score a kiss on Deneghra, and only one Reckoner looks like it might get bonuses from Choir. So instead they cleared the zone and started controlling it.

Temple Flameguard were rolling attack rolls so badly it wasn't even funny anymore.

Nightmare wrecked its prey target Reckoner. I'm not sure what Deneghra did. Looks like she attacked Anson Durst. Maybe.

The other Reckoner somehow failed to cause lethal damage to Nightmare. I think only cortex went missing. Damage to Mechanithralls was overwhelming, though. Temple Flameguard proved to be the tarpitter tarpit unit.

Anson Durst started closing in to Protectorate friendly zone. After all Deneghra wouldn't be able to contest my friendly zone and I was running out of models to contest. Plus Deneghra wasn't gaining too many souls.

I had to try to kill Durst. All of my activations went into trying to get one soul for Deneghra to allocate focus for Nightmare. After Necrotech repaired cortex, of course. And for once Necrotech didn't fail.

Durst has Arm 20 and Def 15 (from Wall of Steel), but I don't remember if he had taken damage earlier in the game.

Deneghra couldn't kill Anson, so ghostly Nightmare with Puppet Master was the only chance I got. And it had to charge Devout, because Anson wasn't in line of sight. POW 12 hit from Eruption of Ash cloud and a successful Defensive Strike removed Nightmare's left or right claw, so that was one attack less yet again.

But the lone remaining Wicked Claw was enough to penetrate the Wall of Steel and crumble the Rock of the Faith.


Game 2:

Second game was against Trollbloods.

Game was rather short. I had never played against Grim Angus2 before, so I didn't know what to expect. I tried to harass some Highwaymen on the left with Mortality cast from Deneghra's feat. Deneghra had Grave Wind on and six Focus points (I had forgotten to activate Nightwretch on first turn, so I had to allocate one to it for running.

Next turn Grim Angus used his feat and cast Mortality on Deneghra. I would have really needed Grim Angus to miss, but no. Spell was a hit.

Fire Eaters dealt some impressive damage in to Deneghra, but I wasn't that worried until the PYGS activated! They needed 7+ to hit even with aiming bonus and Mark Target bonus. And looked like they couldn't miss. Or roll less than 10 for damage rolls either.

In short, it very much looked like Deneghra would die by getting shot to pieces by Pyg Burrowers. The shame! The humiliation! Fortunately a couple of them missed when Deneghra had four or so damage boxes left. Ogrun Bokur took a second last Pyg shot - and good thing he did. Damage roll was double sixes.

Last Pyg missed and I was relieved.

Deneghra survives a volley from Highwaymen on the right, and even a shot from Glacier King. But Glacier King has Rate of Fire 2, which is enough to kill Deneghra. At least the killing blow came from another huge base model...


Game 3:

By last round I had some serious trouble keeping myself awake at all. I was against Circle of Orboros. Baldur the Stonecleaver was their caster, and there were at least Wold Guardian, Woldwarden, Megalith, Woldwatcher and Woldwyrd around.

Since Wold's don't that that high P+S in their attacks, I thought I'd risk it all by charging in the middle of enemy army with Deneghra, and trampling Nightmare in to wreck Wold Guardian.

So, Deneghra used her feat and charged Wold Guardian, cast Mortality on it and rolled a pathetic damage roll.

Nightmare gets three focus points, though. Skarlock is just a little too far from Nightmare to cast Ghost Walk on it, so Nightmare was to use Imprint to go ghostly. This meant it would only get one attack against Guardian. It was enough to disable Spirit branch, though.

Now.

Things I didn't consider: Baldur has strength bonus available for battle group. Another lapse in my tactical genius was Megalith being able to lower Def by a grand total of five. Megalith started by charging in to Deneghra, and yet again the one attack that should not have hit, did. Weight of Stone got Deneghra down to Def 14. Second fist missed, and Megalith was pushed away from melee range.

Oh, and Sentry Stone had drained one focus point away from Deneghra's overboost, so she only had Arm 22.

Woldwatcher charged Deneghra and rolls something absurd for damage. Woldwarden doesn't quite manage as well, and even gets pushed away from melee range by poltergeist.

Wold Guardian tries to attack Nightmare, but I think it didn't hit even once.

Opponent doesn't have that many activations left any longer. Deneghra had eight or so damage points remaining. Woldwyrd is teleported into contact with her, and attacks with gunfighter. Attack hits and Deneghra is left with something like four hit boxes. Wyrd buys another attack and kills Deneghra.

Well, it was a tired, hungover gamble. And despite all penalties for me and bonuses for Circle it wasn't that far from succeeding. After Woldwyrd opponent would have had only a single unit of Woldstalkers left to activate.

No comments:

Post a Comment