Sunday, April 17, 2011

Twice Against 'machine

Last Fridays two remaining games here.

First was Cassius versus prime Vlad.

Lists were:

Cassius
- Gnarlhorn
- Megalith

Maximum unit of Wolves of Orboros + Unit Attachment
Shifting Stones
Sentry Stone
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew
Reeve Hunter
Lord of the Feast
Lanyssa Ryssyll

Opponent had:

Vlad
- Behemoth
- Marauder

Maximum unit of Assault Kommandos + 3 flame throwers
Greylord Ternion
Great Bears of Gallowswood

I lost the starting roll and the first picture is taken from the end of round 1.

I was quite horrified by Behemoth's bombards against Wurmwood so I tried, for once, play safe and hide my important stuff behind the tower.

Well, starting his turn, opponent came at me and Behemoth did have a good target for bombards. My shifting stones. The damned thing broke two of them, though I was already chuckling in my mind the aspect of using them again as Hellmouth targets.

Otherwise Khador forces advanced quite cautiously.

Because opponents troops were placed so that I couldn't really do much to them I decided to rush forward and force Wurmwood's brambles down Vlad's noble throat. Two damage roll boosted Strangleholds (one from Megalith and one from Cassius) didn't damage Behemoth, however, so I had quite a nasty situation there. Obviously Cassius used his feat, but still the warjacks could trample and do things like that to get to my tree. So I tried to pack everything close there to prevent a caster-kill.

Well, opponent didn't try to kill me.

Vlad pulled his forces a little bit back and sent Assault Kommandos to engage Wolves of Orboros.

Then I pulled off a turn that I feel somewhat proud of.

First, Lord of the Feast kills the two Assault Kommandos at him and throws his Raven to Marauder (just in range) and hits with attack roll boost. He buys another attack against Koldun and kills him and then another at a nearby Assault Kommando and then buys an attack against the Marauder.

Megalith backs up a bit and casts Curse of Shadows on Assault Kommandoes.

Reeve Hunter charges one Assault Kommando flamethrower you can't really see in the picture, but manages to kill it, setting lots of Wolves and himself on fire. However, the Quick Work, Snap Fire, Swift Hunter -chain starts and results in four kills.

Wolves of Orboros charge whatever they can, then, filling Wurmwood with souls. They had pretty clear lines because of Curse of Shadows.

Then Lanyssa marches as much forward as possible and casts Hunters Mark on Behemoth.

Cassius activates. He casts Bounding on Gnarlhorn Satyr, advances, casts Unseen Path twice and shoots a Hellmouth on Behemoth. Vlad took some damage from that.

Then Gnarlhorn slams whopping 13 inches into Behemoth, knocking down both Behemoth and Vlad and following up to Vlad. Stomp stomp, chomp chomp.

Game 2:

Morvahna versus Strakhov.

My list was:

Morvahna
- Megalith
- Woldwyrd

Maximum unit of Wolves of Orboros + Unit Attachment
Bloodweavers
Shifting Stones
Reeve Hunter
2x War Wolves
Tharn Ravager White Mane
Blackclad Wayfarer

And opponent had:

Strakhov
- Marauder
- Spriggan (in pictures Devastator model is proxying the Spriggan)

Greylord Ternion
Maximum unit of Ironfang Pikemen + Unit Attachment
Minimum unit of Assault Kommandos + a couple of flamethrowers
Koldun Lord
War Dog

A third person had set up the gaming board and there were two rather big forests quite in the middle. I actually won starting roll now and obviously chose the forested side.

The picture there has had me playing two turns and opponent has taken only one.

Blackclad and Reeve Hunter did some nice damage on the Assault Kommandos who, fools as they are, thought they were safe behind a fence...

Anyway, despite me trying to make my placements so that opponent couldn't do good tramples or charges, he did something... rash.

And what can I say... The blow was staggering. Strakhov used his feat, yes.

On top of that the lonely bloodweaver failed the massive casualties check.

Morvahna had cast Regrowth on Wolves of Orboros and Harvest was on. Megalith had Restoration on him.

Spriggan failed to seriously hurt Megalith, but Woldwyrd lost its body branch.

Obviously it was my feat turn then.

But, well, before I had activated Morvahna, something unexpected happened.

That's just beyond words.

I was desperately trying to get some fury for Morvahna from enemy models before activating her and, well, the little green heroes did just that.

I had earlier moved Woldwyrd for repairs and had maxed out its fury.

Morvahna activated, cast Eruption of Life at Iron Fangs close by and had some fun with Influence. Used feat, obviously.

Then I activated Megalith... I was too sure that 5+ would be the outcome. Only second fist hit home. Damage was good, though, but not good enough. I was desperate on getting the jack destroyed so I made a bad mistake... I also maxed out Megalith's fury, leaving me no transfer targets.

Wolves of Orboros used their minifeat and charged random stuff, most important target being the Spriggan, which they nearly destroyed. It had only the lance weapon intact, all other systems gone.

Anyway, despite suffering huge casualties earlier it was looking a bit better now.

Until.

Opponent cleared some models away and activated Spriggan. Spriggan had Superiority on it, so it had effective speed of 3, as it was suffering from Weight of Stone from Megalith.

Well, Spriggan still needed to roll 7+ with two dice to actually hit Morvahna. So good chances of missing.

Except, it didn't miss.

Well, p+s 18 meant a roll of 9+ would kill Morvahna outright.

You can see the dice in the picture.

Pfffft.

No comments:

Post a Comment