Sunday, May 26, 2019

Befuddled


So I got a game against new and improved Fiona the Black. This is my story of survival.

My list was:

Dark Host
Lord Exhumator Scaverous [+27]
- Deathripper [6]
- Desecrator [14]
- Inflictor [13]
- Nightwretch [7]
- Reaper [13]
- Skarlock Thrall [4]
Bane Lord Tartarus [0(6)]
Darragh Wrathe [9]
Bane Warriors (max) [16]
- Bane Warrior Officer & Standard [5]
Wraith Engine [15]


Opponent had:


The Irregulars
Fiona, the Black [+27]
- Rover [14]
- Toro [13]
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr, the Seeker [0(4)]
Alten Ashley [0(6)]
Anastasia di Bray [3]
Gastone Crosse [4]
- Nomad [12]
Croe's Cutthroats (max) [16]
Idrian Skirmishers (max) [15]
- Idrian Skirmisher Chieftain & Guide [0(5)]
Kayazy Eliminators [5]
Kayazy Eliminators [5]
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt [8]
Press Gangers (min) [7]


I played Dark Host for a change. And once again I misplaced the theme clouds and blocked my own line of sight for some charges. Oh well.

No sooner than round two I learned a thing or two about Befuddle. I was somehow thinking Inscrutable would protect Wraith Engine. Also, I wasn't paying attention that Aiyana & Holt can give magical weapons. There went my glorious Wraith Engine.

Wait. What? It didn't? There were some... rolls... involved. Idrians with magical weapon and Prey on Wraith Engine, along with Gastone Crosse somehow didn't crack through the battle engine. It was left alive with two damage boxes remaining. Well, at least it had Death Ward on, but this combination of magical weapon, prey and a random 3" confusion of a colossal necromechanical inscrutable monstrosity machine kind of overwhelmed me. Didn't see that one coming, not yet.

Well, at least Fiona didn't use her feat yet. I might be able to do something.

I decided to use Scaverous' feat now. Three telekinesis' shuffled two enemy warjacks around and Reaper closer to enemy. Scaverous had to remove one Idrian with Excarnate.

Skarlock turned Wraith Engine around, which then charged Gastone Crosse and managed to kill him. Whee. I got my very first free Machine Wraith, ever. This had unexpected extra boon: Nomad fell inert deep within Kill Zone. Fiona probably wouldn't go an fetch it.

Bane Warriors scored my first control point by destroying enemy objective. Reaper drags Toro with harpoon, and then whatever I have left try to take it down. I thought I'd be able to make it without the help of Inflictor, but if opponent didn't wreck Wraith Engine, neither did I any damage of consequence to the mercenary warjack. So I don't think I have any rights to complain here.

Opponent destroys Wraith Engine next for sure. From then on the game goes odd. Fiona also uses her feat, and my next turn is a mess. My biggest achievement was to destroy the Toro or Rover or whatever it was I had dragged with Reaper.

Both sides are slowly whittling away, and it's probably seventh turn when I get a spot for an assassination. Scaverous charges an Idrian, bringing himself within 8" of Fiona. This also gave soul for Scaverous, so Reaper wouldn't need to be that afraid of missing with harpoon.

But it didn't miss. Fiona found a harpoon bolt sticking through her tummy.

Not a result I could have expected. Befuddle was cast on almost every round. Could be that first round was the only exception. Had Wraith Engine died when it should have, I doubt I could have put on much of a fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment