Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Too Long Years

This bird manipulates time.

Almost two years it has been roosting on my painting desk (as if I had a dedicated desk for that...) waiting to be born before being able to reborn.

When I first received this model as a Christmas gift from a person very dear to me, I decided to paint this phoenix to the best of my ability. Because I haven't been doing that very much. Always taking shortcuts and "letting it be" when things didn't go as planned. But here I wanted to give all I had when it comes to painting, and this is what came up.

I'm quite satisfied with the skin. It looks nice from a distance, and even better up close. Feathers, on the other hand, did not turn out that well. I might actually return to them one day when I've had more practice. When painting the feathers I realized I didn't have the skills nor the steady hand that they would have required. So I kept them relatively basic so I wouldn't ruin this gorgeous model.

Phoenix did have horrible gaps in some joints that had to be filled with green stuff. Gaps in facial area went remarkably well, but putting wings to main body less so. It was difficult area to work, and I had already painted both the wings and the main body. Having red/green deficiency in my eyesight gave me some trouble figuring out how smoothly the Stuff was melding there.

I tried to patch the worst of mistakes with a thick layer of paint in choice areas, which was good for the tiniest seams and harsh edges. Fortunately, however, the ugliest blobs were in places you cannot see unless you really search for them.

Anyway.

A sense of accomplishment to be able to write this blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment