Thursday, October 19, 2017

All Aboard The Ambush Ship!

This game also dates about a week back.

This time game was 75 points Skorne versus Protectorate of Menoth, and I continued with the ambush madness.

My list was:

Dominar Rasheth
- Agonizer
- Basilisk Krea
- Tiberion
- Titan Gladiator
2x Bog Trog Trawler
Extoller Soulward
Hutchuck, Ogrun Bounty Hunter
Paingiver Bloodrunner Master Tormentor
Bog Trog Ambushers (max)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (min)
Venator Reivers (min) + Venator Reiver Officer & Standard

Opponent had:

The Faithful Masses (War Room version, which means it is missing one free solo)
The Harbinger of Menoth
- Devout
- Templar
- Hierophant
2x Allegiant of the Order of the Fist
Anastasia di Bray
Initiate Tristan Durant
- Templar
The Covenant of Menoth
Wrack
Choir of Menoth (min)
Horgenhold Forge Guard (max) + Attendant Priest
Idrian Skirmishers (max) + Idrian Skirmisher Chieftain & Guide

Scenario was Recon II, and Protectorate started game.

I lose Master Tormentor straight away when I moved her behind a house to take cover from any random shots Idrians might come to commit within 5". Otherwise a sound plan, but somehow I managed to place Master Tormentor just within charge range. Woopsie.

On turn 2 I did get both Trawlers and Hutchuck on board. My plan was to throw knockdown bomb and drag some Idrians away from Martyrdom range. I got their command attachment officer this way, but considering I just threw 12 points to kill two models. Ouch. At least second Breath of Corruption deviation protected Tiberion from charging dwarves almost perfectly. However, those two missed attack rolls did give Allegiant the chance to walk to contest my flag.

Opponent did surprisingly little damage on their turn 3. Hutchuck and one of the Trawlers died, but miraculously one Trawler survived with one hit box remaining.

But yeah, now opponent scored two points and I was still sitting at zero, thanks to Rasheth's Breath shenanigans.

On my turn 3 I get the Bog Trog Ambushers on board. Harbinger had come just a little too close to Tiberion - she was within charge range with Rush. Now, there were quite a couple of enemy models on the way that needed to be removed. I really wanted that charge, because trampling would give me only one or two swings at her. And that feels quite a risky business for assassinations.

Rasheth is one of the first models to activate, and he uses feat. He casts Carnivore on Tiberion plus Rush on it and if I remember correctly, also on Titan Gladiator. I don't remember where the last two fury points went - possibly a random Sunder Spirit against Idrians.

Basilisk Krea manages to kill one Forge Guard, and then Venators activate and use their minifeat. I decided to try and clear Forge Guards from board instead of taking shots against Harbinger who had three shield guards at her disposal. Opponent started rolling some mighty three points of damage from nearly every Martyrdom roll Harbinger had to take. But the two models remained that were causing trouble to me.

Bog Trogs charge but their output was inconsequential.

The few models I still had to activate tried to kill the Tiberion blocker. These were the Extoller and a Beast Handler, as I couldn't figure out a way to get Gladiator anywhere that wouldn't block Tiberion from trampling.

Then Tiberion trampled and had to take two Weapon Master free strikes along the way. With a good roll there might be a spiritless, enraged Carnivorous Tiberion starting furiously at Harbinger. But the damage rolls didn't yield anything meaningful.

Tiberion had to buy attack and boost to hit. Awe + hitting behind a wall were negated by Rasheth's feat and Carnivore. After all the unlucky Martyrdom rolls Harbinger had four damage boxes remaining, which confused me. Also I always overestimate the Mk3 focus camping benefits especially on low armor warcasters. I thought I still needed to roll something a little below average to kill Harbinger, but after all calculations it turned out Tiberion was at dice +1 even after counting in the removal of damage points. So even triple 1's would have done it, or something abysmally low anyway even if I don't remember the involved hit boxes correctly.

Yay. Rasheth did it. Won against Harbinger.

(Though honestly I think I would have lost the game if Harbinger wouldn't have exposed herself.)






No comments:

Post a Comment