Sunday, June 29, 2014

For Whom the Bell Tolls

Last Tuesday I played a Warmachine game.

There is a 50 point tournament coming, and I decided to do something different this time. First time ever I enter with a list I have actually played at least once before the tournament.

So, this was that practice game. Oh, and we were practicing some Deathclock, too.

My list:

Morvahna the Dawnshadow
- Gnarlhorn Satyr
- Pureblood Warpwolf
- Winter Argus

Maximum unit of Tharn Ravagers + Shaman + Chieftain
Maximum unit of Wolves of Orboros + Unit Attachment
Shifting Stones + Stone Keeper
2x Gallows Grove
Blackclad Wayfarer
Ravager White Mane

Opponent had:

Commander Adept Nemo
- Stormclad
- Ol' Rowdy
- Lancer
(Hunter?)

Maximum unit of Stormguard
Tactical Arcanist Corps
Journeyman Warcaster
(Hunter?)
Epic Eiryss
Sylys Wyshnalyrr
Ragman
Rhupert the Piper

I'm not sure if Hunter was with Journeyman or with Nemo. Scenario was Incoming, and Circle started game. First picture is from the end of Cygnar turn 2, I think. Fog of War is on, and Carnivore is on Wolves of Orboros. Arcane Shield is on Stormguard.

Eiryss drew first blood by sniping Blackclad Wayfarer with just one shot. White Mane avenged the fallen druid and killed with a charge attack, sprinting afterwards to engage Ol' Rowdy.

I decided to rush forward with all I got, and since I managed to block right side a little, I thought I might try to start dominating my friendly zone.

Arcane Shield is juggled to Ol'Rowdy next, and White Mane saves Morvahna from getting assassinated by a five focus Ol'Rowdy. Nemo activated too early, so Rowdy couldn't get the 3" movement boost from Locomotion. Instead Ol'Rowdy killed Gnarlhorn Satyr.

Emboldened by Morvahna's performance against the Protectorate of Menoth, she wanted to try to wreck Ol' Rowdy all by herself. Well, not all by herself. Winter Argus sprayed Rowdy to stationary. Wolves of Orboros tried to kill Stormguards to heal Morvahna, and they succeeded well enough. Then Morvahna activates and casts Purification to bring Ol' Rowdy's armor value to manageable levels. Mount attack hit automatically since Rowdy was stationary already, so now the warjack was both knocked down and stationary.

Morvahna did not wreck Ol' Rowdy, but if I remember right, she did knock off its Cortex. With light cavalry movement Morvahna backed off a little and used her feat to bring a wall of meat between her and Rowdy. Attrition was looking good at this point, but deathclock did not. I really need to speed up my game, or I will clock myself out from tournaments.

Anyway, there is now one full round in-between pictures.

Lucky location rolls had destroyed Stormclad's melee weapon, so it was an even fight between Stormclad and Pureblood Warpwolf. Nemo cast a couple of good Chain Lightnings that killed most of Circle's infantry, but Stormclad wasn't able to down the Warpwolf, not even with five focus. Sometimes that Def 14 seems like a gift from the sky.

Nemo had charged a Stormguard to get to the control zone to dominate it.


I had less than two minutes in my deathclock, so I tried to kill stormguard and Ragman with sprays from Winter Argus, and hopefully critical freezing the Stormclad. I don't remember what happened to the Stormclad, but just as I was going to activate Pureblood, the clock ran out. We still played it to the end, and Pureblood Warpwolf did tear Nemo in quite a few equal weighted pieces. However... in a tournament that would have been a loss, and a very annoying one.

Well, in about a week I'm going to see how it goes in a tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment