Saturday, May 24, 2014

Sold my soul

I just had to play with my newly painted Warlock. I guess there is no turning back now that I got, if the forums are to be believed, one of the more overpowered warlock of Hordes if not the most overpowered warlock. Oh, wait! I can still construct sub-par lists.

It was a 50 point game, and my list was:

Morvahna the Dawnshadow
- Pureblood Warpwolf
- Feral Warpwolf
- Woldwatcher
- Winter Argus

Maximum unit of Tharn Ravagers + chieftain + shaman
Bloodweavers
Shifting Stones
Swamp Gobbers Bellows Crew
Blackclad Wayfarer
Ravager White Mane
Gallows Grove

I know that's probably quite sucky epic Morvahna list. After all Pureblood and Bloodweavers make Purification redundant, or vice versa. Next I got Swamp Gobbers when I have Fog of War. I wish I could explain this... but I cannot. Oh, and of course the list has way too few infantry units, but that part was somewhat intentional.

Opponent played:

Siege
- Defender

Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Pistoleers + Officer
- Cyclone
Rangers
Maximum unit of Greygore Boomhowler's
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt
Eiryss2
Journeyman Warcaster
Squire
Pendrake
Reinholdt

Scenario was Rally Point, and Circle got to start. Morvahna cast Carnivore on Pureblood Warpwolf as I realised that it kind of sucks on Ravagers and Bloodweavers strike with effective Mat 8 with gang bonus anyway. Fog of War was cast, too. Cygnar had Arcane Shield on Greygore Boomhowler's.

Woldwatcher moves a bit forward and shoots a Ranger, who is fertilized into a forest. Bloodweavers charge the rest of Rangers, who traditionally fail their command check from massive casualties. I thought I'd be quite able to contest my zone with Pureblood Warpwolf, Winter Argus and Bloodweavers... and Morvahna's feat. Rest of my forces spread to enemy zone.

Tharn Ravager White Mane charged to Eiryss, killed her and bought another attack and killed a two Boomhowlers right next to him and Sprinted to engage trollbloods in the ruin terrain. Opponent did fail all of the 4+ tough rolls, but still I was quite happy with White Mane's performance. Why don't I use the old beard more often?

Well. I'm not entirely sure what happened next. Def 17 Argus died, the whole unit of Bloodweavers died and suddenly I got only the Pureblood there. Well, okay, I should have seen Stealth and Concealment ignoring Gun Mages coming to hunt Bloodweavers, but still... Even Def 17 Arm 16 uninjured warbeast went down.

Greygore Boomhowlers had charged Ravagers and killed one of them, as well as the White Mane.

I think this was the first time I ever got to deny Tough rolls with Entropic Field. Gallows Grove teleports a little bit. I somehow remembered that it had Command value of 4 or 5, but it was a pesky 3. Only two Boomhowlers were within range.

Blackclad Wayfarer killed one of the trollbloods who weren't get to make their Tough rolls, and then Feral Warpwolf warped for Speed and killed two more Boomhowler's. Up until now they had failed all of their Tough rolls.

Pureblood Warpwolf advances and I think it used it's own animus on itself as I was going to use spray on Arcane Shielded Siege. When Pureblood had finished it's movement I saw that Aiyana & Holt were lined up quite nicely. I might be able to make some damage to Siege, but damage to warcaster wouldn't be a real casualty, after all, and Kiss of Lyliss was scaring me. So spray was aimed at a gun mage, and both Aiyana and Holt died to death howl.

All in all that was probably a mistake, trading a 9 point warbeast to a 4 point character unit. But at least there was a big scary target for Cygnar to deal with.

Woldwatcher charges to gun mages who finished the farthest member of Bloodweavers. It kills one of them, fertilizing a little more forest.

Then Ravagers charge all over the place. Chieftain and Shaman and unit leader deal with all trolls who were still standing around Feral Warpwolf, and one Ravager even gets a charge off against one of the trolls who were beating the old guy White Mane. One Ravager charges to Cyclone, and one to second gun mage near Woldwatcher.

If Greygore Boomhowler's hadn't already had enough bad luck on their part, next they failed their massive casualties check. And now that they were fleeing, they weren't contesting the zone any more. Shifting Stones teleported Morvahna to clip control zone a bit, and Circle got two control points.

Next turn Siege uses his feat, and despite some really bad rolls the blue guys still managed to shoot every single Ravager off the board. That was pretty harsh blow since now Morvahna had, what, three models to bring back with her feat? Blackclad Wayfarer, Gallows Grove and White Mane.

Since Cygnar had missed a few targets with double 1's and such, Pureblood Warpwolf didn't get as much attention as I was afraid. I don't remember who or what dealt damage to it, but it still had Mind and Spirit fully functional. Greygore Boomhowler's rallied, so Circle didn't gain control points.

On my turn I realised that I was actually losing the attrition here thanks to losing full units in one round. Pureblood Warpwolf didn't frenzy and it decided to attempt to chew focusless Siege a little bit. Then I noticed that it had lost Body branch. Warpwolves can regenerate, sure, but Pureblood already had three fury from last turn. Well, it regenerated and tried to attack unboosted with all initial attacks. One attack hit and dealt some damage in.

Feral Warpwolf warped for Strenght and charged objective. It was destroyed, so now there were only three trollkin standing in between scenario victory for Circle.

However, the damage dealt to Circle last turn had been excessive. Only Woldwatcher and Morvahna herself were the only moving pieces that could do anything to them. Woldwatcher walked and shot 6 points of damage to Boomhowler and then Morvahna used Blood Sacrifice. Gallows Grove fit to the ruin terrain behind trollkin. Then Morvahna charged the three stooges and killed them. It was a little disturbing to find that Scales of Fate functions even on herself.

Ah well. Siege does seem to be a good caster against Morvahna2, but Boomhowler's failing their Command check on turn 3 probably tipped the scales for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment