Thursday, June 17, 2010

Board Game Evening at Fantasiapelit, Jyväskylä 14.06.

Almost a year passed since I last managed to bring myself to get my lazy sitting body part to Fantasiapelit gaming evening.

I brought Talisman with all the released add-ons with me.

After a little waiting it became a four player game with following characters around:

Merchant, Sorceress, Gypsy and Knight.

Sorceress began the game by being a true PITA for other players, as her special ability allows her to steal a follower from a character she lands on. I lost my lucky mule and another player lost Porter (that's basically a mule too). She also stole at least two other followers that weren't as good, though, but still... Sorceress' power really escalates when there's more players around.

Merchant spent most of his time at 1 life, avoiding any and all threats that might come his way. Not much time to develop his character...

There was a huge surge to Highlands boards. Gypsy had insane luck there and had, what, like 7-8 trinkets with him (Trinkets don't count to item limit of 4. Well, I wanted especially to visit there because this was my first time playing with Highlands expansion. I, however, got only beaten severely there. Yeah, you guessed it by now, I did play the Merchant.

Poor Sorceress tried to beat the Eagle King I think three times, and every time she throwed a standoff, that results in teleport to the Crags.

When Merchant finally managed to heal himself, he went off to the Dungeon. About the first card he drawed there was the Talisman. Knight and Gypsy were already questing for the Talisman. I don't know why, I guess out of sheer stupidity, Merchant continued deeper into the Dungeon, not remembering he had Axe to cross the river and enough Craft to try, with a little bit of luck, to go and win the game by reaching the Crown of Command.

Well, when the thought dawned on Merchant, he proceeded to run to the crown. But sadly the Knight managed to accomplish his quest about the same time and we entered the inner region exactly at the same time. Knight had Strenght 14, Merchant had, I think, about 7. Not much contest there.

Merchant reached the crown first, because Knight botched some rolls in the inner region, but had only about two rounds to throw the Command Spell around, and failed both of them. Then Knight came in and started some serious beating.

Merchant was clad in Armour, though. And was quite lucky in armor rolls and it took ages for the Knight to kill off the Merchant. This gave the Gypsy enough time to acquire a Talisman and come in.

And then followed one of the most "exciting" and "boring" fights I've ever seen in my games of Talisman. I think Gypsy and Knight threw dice for at least 10 minutes, probably more.

It was possible thus: Knight had strenght 14, Gypsy had 13. Knight had Armour that ignored a lost life in battle with dice roll of 4, 5 or 6. Knight had a sword that gave him a Fate counter every time he won a fight. Gypsy had an armour too that worked the same way. Gypsy, however, had a life total of 15. Of course she had only 4 at a time, but she had tons of healing available. So, Knight won most of the fights, giving him a limitless supply of re-rolls. But Gypsy had tons of life. Both characters ignored half of the lost lives.

In the end, Gypsy was down to 1 life with no healing available any longer, when she eventually won the game. I wanted the victory go to Knight because it was a first time player playing that character, but, well, the dice are fickle.

Winner: Gypsy

So, on with the statistics:

Talisman: 1 games played.
- Characters played:
- Merchant: 1
- Knight: 1
- Gypsy: 1 (1 victory)
- Sorceress: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment