Monday, June 23, 2014

Get off my lawn, you damn Raek!

Last Wednesday I played a 50 point game of Hordes.

I played with Circle, and my list was:

Morvahna the Dawnshadow
- Pureblood Warpwolf
- Winter Argus
- Woldwatcher
- Gorax

Tharn Bloodweavers
Maximum unit of Tharn Ravagers + Chieftain
Maximum unit of Wolves of Orboros + Unit Attachment
Shifting Stones + Stone Keeper
Ravager White Mane
2x Gallows Grove

I had Legion of Everblight against me, with following list:

Saeryn
- 2x Scythean
- 2x Angelius
- Afflictor
- Raek

2x Strider Deathstalker
2x Forsaken
2x Nyss Shepherd
1x Spell Martyr

Eww. Not a nice list at all, but since I was playing Morvahna2, who am I to complain?

Scenario was Rally Point. Megalith and Wurmwood are the objectives for this scenario since I forgot to take the objective box.

Circle started game, and first picture is taken from the end of Legion turn 1. Well, it looked like both armies would horrendously dominate the enemy zone. Since Legion had so few models near their zone, I thought I might be able to contest my own zone better and possibly get scenario victory. Possibly.

Carnivore was on Wolves of Orboros.

I was a bit afraid of Scytheans and their animi, so Morvahna cast Sunder Spirit on the closest one, and then with light cavalry movement she rode far to the left, and Shifting Stones teleported her even further. I tried to get enough models to contest my friendly zone, but damn it. I didn't think of any of the basic tricks Legion has. And on top of that I was woefully underprepared for Saeryn's feat - I was expecting much more offensive use from that.

So, all the legion heavy warbeasts rush to their enemy zone, and Angelius just uses Repulsion to push the models away that other beasts had failed to kill. And then Saeryn used her feat. And the Raek was toeing my enemy zone, so Circle didn't gain any control points.

I had basically two options. Either I would focus on contesting my friendly zone with something a bit more meaty than infantry models, or then I'd try to kill Raek with Woldwatcher, Pureblood Warpwolf and two boosted Sunder Spirit's, and be back in the scenario game.

Well, I tried to take Raek.

Woldwatcher missed it's attack, but Pureblood hit. Morvahna used her feat to bring as many models to contest my friendly zone and then she tried to cast Sunder Spirit on Raek from a feated Gallow's Grove. Either I would make one fully boosted Spirit at Raek, or two half boosted spells. Morvahna didn't have too many damage boxes left, so she decided to cast only one fully boosted, since Raek would die if damage roll was 14. Difficult, yes, but hey, Scales of Fate work on herself, too.

It's a hit, and damage roll is something like 8 with three dice. Morvahna re-rolls, and the damage roll is something like 6 with three dice. Uh, that's it.

So now Legion only needed to wreck my objective and dominate their enemy zone for one round.

That's wasn't a big problem for them, really. Most contestors were repulsed away again, and the rest were killed by two Scytheans. There was one tricky Bloodweaver model, though. However, when Forsaken with its Abomination rule charged close enough, Bloodweavers failed their command check.

Now Angelius only needed to destroy the objective. Which it did, but not in one hit. In two hits.

Ah well, that game was lost because of some bad choices I made. I would have liked to play a little longer, though, since it would have been really interesting to see how the game would have went if there was a little more actual attacks going on. I mean, four heavies and two lights versus a ton of infantry models and only one heavy? And when a maximum of 15 of those infantry models would just come back, unless Scytheans managed to do some juicy bloodbaths with Slaughterhouse animus on?

Maybe one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment