Thursday, May 8, 2014

Rautarouva day 1

So, last weekend I was in a Warmachine tournament. I was a 50 point Steamroller with 55 minute Deathclock rules as it was in 2012 or so. Basic character restrictions were there too if I remember right. At least I built my lists as if they were restricted.

I didn't quite finish my Kraken, but it didn't look too work-in-progress either. And I wanted to play with that thing. So my lists were:

List 1:
Mortenebra & Deryliss
- Kraken
- Nightmare
- Ripjaw

Maximum unit of Bane Thralls
Bane Lord Tartarus
Warwitch Siren
Pistol Wraith
Ogrun Bokur

List 2:
Wraith Witch Deneghra
- Kraken
- Reaper
- 2x Nightwretch

Minimum unit of Bile Thralls
Minimum unit of Soulhunters
Darragh Wrathe
2x Necrotech & Scrap Thrall
Gorman diWulfe

First game was against Circle of Orboros. I don't remember which warlocks opponent had, but in the end game was Mortenebra vs Mohsar the Desertwalker.

Opponent probably had this list:

Mohsar
- Ghetorix
- Megalith
- Gorax

Shifting Stones + Stone Keeper
Shifting Stones
Maximum unit of Tharn Bloodtrackers + Nuala
2x Gallows Grove
Gatorman Witch Doctor
Celestial Fulcrum

In the first picture Nightmare is hiding behind Kraken. Nightmare's prey was one of the Gallow's Groves, and Bloodtrackers targeted Bane Lord Tartarus.

Mirage was on Bloodtrackers and Spectral Steel on Kraken.

Next is Circle's turn, and Primaled Ghetorix charges Kraken. Kraken doesn't become a wreck, though second picture is a bit misleading. The upper half has been removed because those tentacles covered most of the area where important things were happening...

Celestial Fulcrum proved to be really annoying to get rid of. Slowly it whittled down Bane Thralls, and because I placed some of my models too much forward, I lost Warwitch Siren to blast damage roll. On my next turn only one Bane Thrall gets in a charge against Fulcrum and deals damage not worthy of mentioning.

Mortenebra fixes Kraken and casts Terminal Velocity, and Deryliss casts Overrun on Kraken. Kraken kills something, don't remember any more what, and Nightmare makes the Overrun move. Nightmare uses Imprint and advances to beat Megalith. Ripjaw had also tried to do that earlier but to no avail. Megalith was still standing.

Looking at the picture I'm not sure why on earth Tartarus has advanced there, but since Mohsar is the adversary, my guess is that there had been Salt Pillars.

Well, then Megalith beats Ripjaw down, and Gorax comes and finishes what was left of Nightmare. Celestial Fulcrum continues to fry Bane Thralls, and Bane Lord Tartarus is backstabbed by the Bloodtrackers.

Kraken destroys Megalith and possibly some Bloodtracker, and Kill Shot finally removes Gatorman Witch Doctor from board. That gator had been a pain, since he/she had made Terminal Velocity almost a useless spell. Celestial Fulcrum took in two more Bane Thrall charges and one attack without a charge... and still the rock was nowhere near breaking.

I don't remember what destroyed Kraken in the end - probably Mohsar and Gorax together. Most if not all bane thralls died there and then, and the remaining Bloodtrackers took out Ogrun Bokur. Clock was ticking, and just about all options looked bad.

Well, Deryliss casts Overrun on Mortenebra, who then charges Gorax. She succeeds in killing the ape-something and advances in base contact with flag. I think she was focusless at that point.

Just about all models come to shoot at her. Fulcrum and Mohsar most notably. Mohsar had taken some damage before, and now he had cut himself down to two hit boxes remaining. Mohsar couldn't do anything to Mortenebra, but then Celestial Fulcrum hits like a ton of bricks, dealing 11 points of damage to Mortenebra and setting her on fire!

Then it's Cryx turn again, and fire doesn't go off. Fire dealt 4 damage to Mortenebra, so she was sitting on just one damage box and on fire. Mohsar was on a hill with two hit boxes remaining, but Mortenebra couldn't move at all, thanks to those damnable shifting stones!

So... Either two attempts at a Doom Spiral, or just one Void Gate. I opted for Void Gate, and spent 5 Focus to cast it boosted. Since the old man was on a hill, Mortenebra needed 9+ to hit. Still way more than 50% chances of hitting, right? Well... it's a miss. Deviation distance is, however, only two inches, so Mohsar still got a POW 7 blast damage roll with a damage boost.

Mohsar disappeared into the Void when I started the last minute available to me on the Deathclock.

Damn good game, though I felt like I played very badly. It was pure luck that Kraken survived for so long, and I lacked a decent plan to take out Megalith. I just pushed my half-dead Nightmare and Ripjaw against it, hoping for good rolls that never came.


Game 2: Wraith Witch Deneghra vs Warwitch Deneghra.

Looks like I got pictures only from the beginning of this match and the very end of it.

Opponent had a curious Warwitch Deneghra list, something like:

Deneghra
- 2x Deathripper

Maximum unit of Bane Thralls
Maximum unit of Croe's Cutthroats
Maximum unit of Nyss Hunters
Minimum unit of Bile Thralls
Skarlock Thrall
Master Gunner Dougal McNaile
2x Pistol Wraiths
+ 2 points I can't find?

Scenario was Incursion, and I guess I was happy that the leftmost flag disappeared, though there was a healthy population of Nyss at the rightmost.

Opponent played well in keeping pDeneghra out of eDeneghra's feat range. However, the first picture from this match shows the Web of Shadows. Wraith Witch is just in front of Kraken, quite badly out of sight.

Darragh Wrathe and Soulhunters try to go to harvest some Cutthroats, and I guess they do well enough, considering that there is no scenario focus there any more.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that Kraken managed to drop arc node from the rightmost Deathripper.

Since I couldn't catch the other Deneghra with my feat or gain upper hand with attrition or anything, I decided to try to rush rightmost flag with Deneghra and Kraken and whatnot, and hope for the best that my troops near middle flag could do, well, something. Pistol Wraiths, by the way, are did a fine job at keeping Kraken at bay.

I guess the game went otherwise fine, but I just couldn't kill Nyss fast enough to start scoring points soon enough. Some pointy eared bunch was always contesting the flag, and finally the other Deneghra rushed through the middle flag and cast Crippling Grasp on Kraken. Reaper defied all odds and survived quite a few rounds of charging bane knights, so I guess I can't really complain about the Celestial Fulcrum of last game.

As I said I'm missing all the pictures from the middle, so in the next picture is the round where I got my first two control points. Opponent has just wrecked Kraken and Deathripper is coming to contest the flag.

On my turn I've ran out of troops, but at least I can get myself to 4 control points by using Dark Banishment on the Deathripper.

But damage roll doesn't knock off Arc Node.

Next turn it's Scourge + 3 charging Bane Knights for Wraith Witch.


Game 3: Mortenebra vs Dr. Arkadius

I think I was playing against Arkadius' tier force:

Dr. Arkadius Mad Science tier 4
- 3x Razor Boars
- 2x Road Hogs
- 3x War Hogs

Maximum unit of Farrow Bone Grinders
Maximum unit of Farrow Brigands

At least that's the only way I can fit the whole list inside 50 points.

Five heavy beasts is pretty damn intimidating. Even when I got two hard hitting warjacks and a unit of Bane Thralls I wasn't sure if I would ever be able to kill them all.

First picture is from the end of minion turn 1. Mortenebra casts Terminal Velocity. Kraken gets Overrun, then Nightmare charges the Road Hog that came a little bit too close. Kraken kills a couple of razor boars and Nightmare backs off from the Road Hog. Road Hog was left with something like two or three damage boxes left, which could be bad news for Bane Thralls next turn.

Thankfully Warwitch Siren rolls an absurd damage roll with Venom which kills the spray hog.

Bane Thralls destroy the rest of Razor Boars.

And then I just hope I won't lose Kraken.

Thankfully I don't, though it loses both arms, but not Cortex.

Well, then! Kraken is allocated full 3 focus, and 3 is saved for Terminal Velocity. I don't remember if Spectral steel was dropped and Nightmare was allocated 1 or not.

Mortenebra uses her feat, casts Terminal Velocity and advances to repair Kraken. Dice came out as 5 and 6. What? Really? You call yourself the Master Necrotech?

Well, luckily something manages to trigger overrun for Nightmare, though probably it was bad play on my part to bring even Nightmare to die.

Ripjaw and Bane Lord Tartarus kill the other Road Hog, and Bane Thralls try to kill as many brigands as possible. But all in all that feat turn was completely wasted.

And on the piggy side of things - Mortenebra loses all of her warjacks in one turn. What the heck just happened? Things were looking quite good, but then Mortenebra messes up her repair check and Kraken does pretty much nothing.

Well, all is not lost. Bane Lord Tartarus curses some farrow's and Threshers three bane thralls more, and then Bane Thralls activate and the war hog with yellow hood, drill and nomad's sword falls to charging Bane Thralls.

Deryliss casts Overrun on Mortenebra, and she charges to rightmost War Hog... and kills it. She advances to Kraken's wreck with Overrun. I had been able to bring some Bane Thralls to Kraken's wreck, so Mortenebra was quite nicely protected there from one non-reach heavy war hog.

War Hog goes to kill Tartarus - more banes at this point would be quite horrific indeed.

Remaining Bane Thralls and Ogrun Bokur all try to punch the big pig, but they merely tickle the bacon.

Deryliss casts Overrun on Mortenebra yet again, and she charges the last remaining War Hog, kills it and Overruns next to Dr. Arkadius. Well, she mostly fails her attack rolls, and Arkadius has one more turn. There's about 20 seconds left in my Deathclock.

Arkadius casts Crippling Grasp on Mortenebra, and that was pretty much all he could do. His only damaging spell requires living Friendly warbeasts and his combat syringe only works on living models. I hope epic Arkadius at least carries a small knife with him or something - situation was pretty much comparable to Rasheth in melee with 0-1 Fury. Nothing could be done.

Few Bone Grinders that were still alive tried to shoot Mortenebra in the back and succeeded, but they just quite didn't one-shot an uninjured warcaster.

I wasn't aware how little Arkadius could do in melee, so I was suprised to actually get one more turn with my 20 second clock.

I've had plenty of tournament games where I have only a few minutes left on my clock, but this time the clock literally started beeping the last 5 seconds, when Mortenebra finally succeeded in landing the final blow to Arkadius.

All three games in the first day were quite amazing. Next day there were two more rounds, but those games will have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment