Wednesday, June 26, 2019

What do Zombies and Crossbowmen have in common?

Played a 125 point game of Kings of War: Vanguard about a week ago or so.

It was somewhat of a campaign game - I had played the second round of games for the campaign, but opponent had not. This meant my group wouldn't gain or even lose anything by playing these extras.

Twilight Kin vs Undead it was. Scenario was Recover the Plans.

I started by running a Speed 7 blade dancer to spy objective as my first activation. Real plans turned out to be on the extra objective on my side of the board.

I thought I would've had the speed advantage, but I was wrong. Of course it didn't help that opponent rolled 7-8 power per round when I had to struggle with three. So this extra movement ability didn't really cost anything for the undead.

Wraith made a group assault with a ghoul against my Shadow, and somehow didn't kill her. Blade Dancer replies by launching an assault of his own against ghoul, killing it and using follow up move to engage Wraith.

My Executioner charges the Wraith also, and doesn't score even a single wound despite having six dice and lucky charm to boot. Eight hits were caused, and also as many saves by the Wraith.

Then a random chance has Blade Dancer deal a lucky wound to Wraith. But then as equal random chance kills Blade Dancer - a charging zombie (three dice) who hits with 7+ kills Blade Dancer, who even has a re-roll to Nerve test from nearby leader.

Alrighty then. One of these games.

So the answer to title question is: when you see one charging at you, RUN.

It was fourth turn, so my Reaper Guard goes and picks up the plans. Two revenants and a skeleton use this Run + walk with fatigue action maneuver to engage aforementioned Reaper Guard. Next turn. Because it's fifth and possibly last turn, I decided to break out from melee with Reaper Guard by taking three saves. One revenant and the skeleton were fatigued, so wouldn't be coming after me.

Three saves + one melee from Revenant and victory could be mine.

But there were no two 6+ rolls and zero eights in those four dice I used in breaking out.

... ok.

I was three models down, so from now on Twilight Kin would be taking Nerve tests. But since my leader was in melee with two zombies, ghoul and a wraith and my last remaining Shadow was too far to be useful in this situation, I conceded.

Third round games have Kill the Commander scenario and 175 points.

No comments:

Post a Comment