Saturday, December 15, 2018

Skorne Thing

What's this?

A new player in my home town. Last weekend we had a 50 point game of Warmachine. My list was:


Void Seer Mordikaar [+29]
- Agonizer [6]
- Archidon [10]
- Bronzeback Titan [18]
- Cyclops Savage [7]
Bog Trog Trawler [3]
Thrullg [5]
Paingiver Beast Handlers (min) [5]
Praetorian Swordsmen (max) [13]
- Praetorian Swordsman Officer & Standard [4]
Venator Slingers (min) [8]


Opponent had:


Commander Coleman Stryker [+30]
- Cyclone [13]
- Defender [16]
- Lancer [10]
- Reliant [14]
Journeyman Warcaster [4]
- Charger [9]
Long Gunner Infantry (min) [10]

The list is four points short, so I suppose opponent forgot to deploy a solo or command attachment for Long Gunners.

We played a rulebook scenario to score a point from five flags. And how different it felt after having used to Steamroller scenarios.

Early on I'm a bit too greedy with the flag points - it was completely unnecessary for me to bring Bronzeback Titan to score a point from the middle flag and be pretty much there in the open, ready to be shot at.

So I lost my heavy beast. And I was against three heavy warjacks that were supported with two instances of Arcane Shield. Whoopsie.

Feats gave us both a "useless" turn. Slingers tried to give corrosion to Cygnaran models while they were under Stryker's feat. Praetorian Swordsmen used their minifeat in an attempt to do some damage to Lancer. They did some damage but did not break any systems. But at least the arc node was tied up.

Opponent, then, was mostly able to kill Praetorian Swordsmen that weren't under Mordikaar's feat.

Considering that I had no way of punching through all those warjacks, I schemed a plan to win with scenario. I had four control points thanks to Bog Trog Trawler. So all I needed was the flag Lancer was contesting.

These are the unlikely epic weird shenanigans that I so much enjoy. My plan was thus:

1) do as much damage to Lancer as was possible with Swordsmen.
2) cast Essence Blast spray, killing all the praetorian swordsmen that were not within 4" of the flag and kill the lancer
3) revive one praetorian swordsmen in base contact with the flag.

It all went fine until I failed to kill a couple of swordsmen with Essence Blast. I did not bother casting Revive, then. I saved three fury points for damage transfer instead, as Mordikaar was in a rather vulnerable position.

Stryker managed to land Earthquake on Mordikaar, so I thought game was pretty much over then. I don't remember if it was Defender or Reliant that rolled only four damage points in to Mordikaar, so I did not have to start spending transfers right away.

Mordikaar was shot to pieces, but not to death. Somehow he managed to survive Defender, Reliant, Charger, two hand cannons from both warcasters and a couple of Long Gunner shots.

I think there is a pattern here. It's not just Hexeris that pulls off these "shouldn't have" -survival situations. It's my Skorne as a whole.

There were no cygnar models contesting the last flag Skorne needed, so game was over. Sure there were swings in this game, though after losing Bronzeback so early on I continuously felt that I needed desperate measures to win.

And my desperate measure seems to be caster bait with odds stacked heavily against me.

No comments:

Post a Comment