Thursday, November 9, 2017

Envisillan: First five years

Recently I started my third settlement of Kingdom Death.

This time I had extra unfortunate beginning. Only two survivors were left alive from prologue, and neither was the one who took +1 Strength from first critical hit.

I did go to quite lengths to save these particular two survivors, Paraske and Livia.

Prologue got one critical hit that gave extra basic resource and made Livia insane.

Resources were:
2x White Fur, Sinew, Great Cat Bones

Monster Hide, Monster Organ, Monster Bone, 2x Love Juice

First Day got me lowest number of survivors, again. So that's a ten, then.

Paraske utters the First Words, and Skinnery + Bone Smith are built with endeavors.

Love Juice rolls 4, which is just enough to get me New Life principle. I'm going to try the new and improved Survival of the Fittest. Life principle rolled 3. Oh boy, super parents.(+1 strength, +2 insanity)

Death Principle: Graves rolled 2.

I make Bone Darts, Rawhide Headband, Vest and Gloves.

Settlement is named Envisillan, and I start to hunt for a White Lion.

First event is Aromatic Breeze with roll of 66, Forbidden Word. Everyone is now just one dot away from triggering Insight. Oh, and Lion is one step closer also.

Next we get White Lion Cub, and as greedy as ever, I choose to kill the cub for extra resources. Of course I roll the angry mother lion. I use one of the re-rolls from Survival of the Fittest, because this early Enraged might pretty much wreck entire team. Re-roll came out as 9, so nothing happened.

Lion was there on the next space, so showdown started anyway. Random terrains are Salt Sculptures and Ore Vein.

First Lion gets Size Up, but fails in it's 4+ roll. I'm in a little bit awkward position now. Do I want to leave Tall Grass to attack the beast, or should I wait one round? I decide to wait.

Datral lobs a Bone Dart at Lion and scores a wound.

Next White Lion sizes up again, and fails again. This is getting a little bit awkward. I mean. It's just standing there, starting at the survivors? Why isn't it doing anything?

Third turn Lion comes to Chomp at Livia, who dodges. Livia scores a wound against the Lion, but reflex grabs two survivors.

Fourth turn Lion picks Alert. I'm contemplating on using one Founding Stone for an automatic critical hit, but I'm afraid of either trap or glorious mane. But anyway, the guy who already lost once-in-a-lifetime reroll throws the stone at the beast. It gets a -1 Toughness token, which is not a knockdown, but still useful. One extra hit is scored, but now it's the glorious mane.

Lion uses Combo-Claw, but scores no hits thanks to accuracy 4+ and Livia's evasion from Survival of the Fittest and fully linked Rawhide Vest. Then she punches a stone to beast's maw, causing a wound.

Pepleh, the survivor without reroll or weapons, tries to score a critical wound with his bare hands. Doesn't happen, but he inflicts a regular wound instead.

Lion switches to Vicious Claw against Pepleh. I suppose the beast didn't like how he pulled it's tail. One hit, which was dodges. I'm already ecstatic with this Survival of the Fittest.

Now the discard pile is shuffled, so at least I have the information now that the Lion isn't going to start licking it's wounds. Next attack is Size Up, and now Pepleh is singled out as it's target. Pepleh becomes Squeamish and gains one point of insanity.

Last unactivated survivor fails to wound the lion, who then jumps back - right on top of Livia. She suffers collision and knockback. Now this got troublesome with the Alert mood.

Combo-Claw misses one attack, and the other one is dodged.

Fast-forward from now on, eventually survivors win without any real casualties. Even with sub-par equipment the new New Life principle is astonishing - I counted at least three misses thanks to evasion gained from it. Though it was also because of that lucky -1 Toughness token. At least three times I scored a wound that otherwise would have been a failure.

Livia gains Last Man Standing fighting art from Age.

Welp, rewards gave me no Cat's Eye. No Circlet yet. Four Endeavors, though, and the most dreaded part of the settlement phase: Event.

Thankfully it's Acid Storm. I roll 1, so that's -4 Cloth armor for Settlement. At least nobody died.

I choose one of the returning survivors, Dartal, to become the Voice of Reason. She rolls 4, which triggers Insight. From Insight she rolls 1, an extra card for innovating this phase.

Five endeavors, thanks to this newly found Tinkerer.

Settlement innovates Paint and builds Organ Grinder.

Catgut Bow, Clawhead Arrow and King Spear are the first items to construct.
Next settlement completes the Rawhide set with Pants and Boots.
Monster Grease and Fecal Salve.


I do Candice & Ancient Lantern challenge scenario next since I got plenty of endeavors.

Random terrain were Giant Stone Face and Toppled Pillar. Fight was so easy I actually felt bad about it. At least I got lousy resources: 4x Monster Hide, 3x White Fur, Lion Claw. Can't make any weapons out of these.

Settlement event was Nickname.

Settlement innovates Symposium and makes Leather Worker.

So, we have:
Paraske, the Dingle Savior of the Antelope. (also got permanent Strength from Age)
Livia, the Wise Sneak of the Antelope
Dartal, Foolish Sneak of the Lantern (-1 permanent accuracy) (Also got Extra Sense from Age)
Candice, Foolish Savior of the Phoenix (-1 permanent accuracy, +1 permanent speed)

Parentesire uses Symposium twice and gets Rhythm Chaser from Age. Boo.
Vinkuliu Viliu uses Symposium once and gets Sneak Attack. Woohoo! Butcher killer coming right up.

I make Lion Beast Katar, Bandages and Rawhide Boots.

I actually feel quite confident about the Butcher now. Just a shame that I may have to wait for quite a while before I can continue as I don't know how much Butcher has changed.

Turns out confidence wasn't that off. However, it was a full team wipe anyway. I got Butcher down to one AI card remaining. But there were too many traps. Also, the survivor that had Bandages received Tunnel Vision disorder - she could activate only weapons. In fact the last remaining survivors died to bleed tokens.

Settlement event was Weird Dream. Since this is solo campaign, departing survivors will get +3 insanity instead of a storytelling moment.

Oh well. I got eight endeavors now. I spend every single one of them on Shared Experience - that's quite a mouthful for Livia.

Since I got so few survivors alive any more, let's make a complete list here, starting from the fresh faces that trigger Age:
Acropia (M) receives Abyssal Sadist
Astalonia (F) receives +1 permanent Strength
Mursonus (M) receives Monster Claw Style, which makes relatively likely that this one tries to level up Fist & Tooth.
Werno (M) receives +1 permanent Strength (also has +1 Understanding from being born under Graves.)

Then we got oldies:
Livia (F) has Last Man Standing and a little Spear proficiency.
Paraske (M) has +1 courage and understanding from being the first speaker, and +1 permanent strength.
Pepleh (M) has used his once-in-a-lifetime reroll, is Squeamish and has +2 understanding.
Candice (F) came from the outside, so I didn't think she'd gain Survival of the Fittest strength and evasion. She has +1 Movement, -1 Accuracy, +1 Speed and Hyperactive disorder.

Now we're going somewhere on year five.

I decide to try and fetch Cat's Eye Circlet once more before moving on with quarry.

First hunt event is Lion's Sculpture. This triggers Insight for Pepleh, who maxes out on survival. Event roll is 03, Cancer Pigeons. Mursonus manages to shake the creature off.

Second event is Sea of Golden Grass. Of course I check what's in the grass. Free courage, kind of. But the monster ambushes survivors anyway.

Random terrain cards are even more Tall Grass and the Lonely Tree. This time I will play the tree correctly.

Fight was a breeze.

Settlement event is Dark Trader, so pretty much useless.

Mursonus experiments with Hands of Heat, and rolls 7+ result. Not going to have all that many resources for crafting again. I also nominate Mursonus for Crone's Tale. Next we'll see him when I hunt Flower Knight.

I get Lantern Oven innovation. Finally I can start to spend endeavors. One goes into innovation, which may have been a bad choice since I got so few resources anyway. I take Inner Lantern. Hands of Heat tradition continues on Lantern Year 9.

Settlement builds Rawhide Vest and Headband, plus Bone Dagger. Yay.

But these were the first five years of Envisillan settlement. Since I got eight remaining survivors at the end of Lantern Year 5, I get this horrible evil plan in preparation for Armored Strangers...

No comments:

Post a Comment