Monday, June 5, 2017

Two (three) years and I'm already ruined

Alrighty.

So a dream comes true and I finally got to play Kingdom Death: Monster. I've double checked most things so many times that it took me almost six hours to play two Lantern Years. And this even when I didn't make detailed notes... I plan to write some of these write-ups on a card-by-card basis. Anyway, if something, this is going to act as my inventory for resources and such.

I began the First Story with four survivors: Mother, Daulys, Faehrus and Solon.

I managed the intro story pretty well I suppose. Daulys went blind as well used three Founding Stones... but at least that yield me +1 permanent Strength for Mother, and an extra Lion Claw from elsewhere.

I rolled the lowest amount of survivors possible for a start - ten heads. Well, not a big setback as I found two Love Juices.

I used one and nominated the half-blind Daulys and yet unnamed survivor to bear a child. They did not, because I rolled "1" on the intimacy chart.

But hey, I got rid of the half-blind and I got the death principle! For some reason I chose Graves. So I guess I dug up graves for two persons that decided to leave the colony? Anyway, Mother gained +1 Luck for this.

I innovate Hovel and made Bone Blade and Bone Dagger.

Off to lantern year 2!

I had Solon, Mother, Gurel and Bowynn with me, since one returning survivor had to be left to ponder a little bit about the newly established lantern hoard.

Hunt phase was exceedingly short when first space had White Lion Cub. I decided to slaughter it right away for astonishing amount of materials. This provoked the worst result - angry lion mother!

I had given the bone dagger to my Mother, because I was thinking extra strength and extra luck would make her a nice combatant, when it didn't look like a terrible effort to get to a monster's blind spot.

Gurel found a survivor's corpse from the field and went insane - first brain injury gave three points plus +1 speed and strength tokens, and then searching the corpse gave two more insanity and a material. This kept her away from action quite a while, though.

There was this eye-for-an-eye thing going on, because my mother managed to critically disembowel the White Lion Mother. Not too long after Lion Mother returns the favor and disembowels my survivor. This was terrible, because now Mother had, what, three useless accuracy 7 attacks with no extra strength at all. Toughness of 8 of level 1 lion caught me by surprise.

It was a long and difficult fight. Yet I believe I was kind of lucky when no other permanent injuries came up other than the death of Mother - just a turn before the White Lion Mother died herself. Their fates were linked. And I no longer had any founding stones.

Random event gives me this seducer visitor, that causes male members unable to depart, and females who depart do so with +10 survival. Funny thing here was that I only had three female survivors alive any more... would I dare a Love Juice?

I had to, and luckily it gave +1 population with no extra difficulties. However, I had to choose "Protect the Young" as my principle, because "survival of the fittest" had a 50% chance that parents would not be able to depart.

White Lion Cub, the survivor corpse terrain, a random critical hit on a proper spot and being generally victorious gave me stunning amount of resources, though:

2x Monster Organ
2x Monster Hide
2x ???
Broken Lantern
Monster Bone
Love Juice

2x White Fur
Lion Claw
Eye of Cat

I gained five endeavors thanks to graves, but I was afraid to use them. I could only innovate or use augury. I innovated Inner Lantern, but augury might give me another encounter with Intimacy, which in turn might affect how many survivors I would be able to send for a hunt.

I nominated Faehrus to stand as the voice of reason amidst Endless Screams: rolled 1. How nice. Broken jaw was exactly what my spokesperson needed.

Production phase gave me:

Cat Eye Circlet from Cat Eye and Catgut Bow from Sinew and Monster Bone..

??? and Monster Hide into Rawhide Headband and Rawhide Vest.

Monster Organ into a Monster Grease.

Lion Claw into Bone Darts.


Detailed inventory:

Innovations and Principles:
Principle: Graves
Principle: Protect the Young
Hovel
Inner Lantern
Language

Resources:
Broken Lantern

2x White Fur
Lion Testes
Golden Whiskers

Items:
4x Cloth
Bone Blade
Bone Dagger
Bone Darts
Cat Eye Circlet
Catgut Bow
Rawhide Headband, Rawhide Vest
Monster Grease

Population: 8

Next showdown survivors and their gear:

Note: all will begin with full 3 survival thanks to settlement event that gave +10 for all departing survivors... however, I don't think it still can bring the total above survival limit?

Gurel: (has five insanity)
Rawhide Vest & Headband, Cloth + Bone Blade

Amnother:
+1 Evasion, Monster Grease, Cloth & Bone Dagger & Cat Eye Circlet (total of +2 evasion)

Eldyne:
Cloth, Bone Darts

Anuth:
Understanding +1

Cloth, Catgut Bow

Lantern Year 3

Well, I just had to play for one more lantern year.

One more White Lion quarry.

First hunt event was Scratching Grounds. Every survivor took a point of courage, and only one suffered event damage.

Second event was Lion's sculpture. A little bit of insanity is always welcome, but follow-up was Wildfire.

Proceeding to Wildfire, first result was 17, face-to-face. Well, Gurel's Survival was not higher than her insanity, so nothing happened.

Next roll was 04, -1 speed token would make moving to blind spot darn difficult. Oh well. This time I have ranged weaponry with me, though. Maybe it doesn't matter.

In the showdown nobody died, so there's that.

Bow user also made a critical hit and gained permanent strength from the strange hand location. Later, lion gazed at it's bloody stump, and a one survivor triggered Insight from this. Se gained Analyze.

Getting -1 permanent accuracy for one of the survivors was probably the worst effect. She also got aichmophobia in the process, not being able to depart with sharp things. Pretty much all survivors lost their precious insanity, except for Gurel of course, who has insanity in plentiful supply.

Not too bad I suppose, but there weren't that many resources this time.

2x Broken Lanterns
2x Monster Hides

2x White Fur
Great Cat Bones
Lion Claw

And with these, I will need to take down Butcher. He isn't painted yet, though, so this might take a while.

Settlement event: Cracks in the ground, rolled 3.

A random survivor fell to the crack. Obviously, of course this was the survivor with highest progress, Gurel. Seems like at least one dead survivor per lantern year is a liability: if it doesn't happen in showdown, settlement phase will "cover you." With gravel.

Great Cat Bone and Lion Claw become a King Spear instantly.

Rawhide Armor set becomes completed with Pants, Gloves and Boots.

"Just because" I used augury on Eldyne. Result was 1, so I took off Golden Whiskers and gained understanding. This triggered Insight on her - yay, a boon at last! Except I don't want to use Eldyne anywhere, so Tinker is useless and I rolled an extra point of endeavor.
I did the same with Faehrus, and rolled 2, so I lost Broken Lantern and gained understanding.
I used augury with the last remaining survivor I don't plan to use with Butcher showdown - Unkhno. Rolled 7.

I still got resources for a White Lion Coat and extra Rawhide Gloves. Then we'll see what happens with Butcher.

Detailed inventory:

Innovations and Principles:
Principle: Graves
Principle: Protect the Young
Hovel
Inner Lantern
Language

Resources:
2x Broken Lantern

Lion Testes


Items:
4x Cloth
Bone Blade
Bone Dagger
Bone Darts
Cat Eye Circlet
Catgut Bow
Rawhide Headband, Rawhide Vest, Pants, 2x Gloves and Boots
Monster Grease
King Spear
White Lion Coat

Population: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment