Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Stubbornness vs Blind chance

Today I played one more game of Warmachine without the camera.

Fortunately main points of this story are easy to sum up. There is also a lesson/reminder there.

It was a 50 point game and my list was:

Lord Arbiter Hexeris
- Basilisk Krea
- Cyclops Shaman
- Bronzeback Titan
- Tiberion

Minimum unit of Beast Handlers
Minimum unit of Venator Reivers + Unit Attachment
Venator Flayer Cannon
Maximum unit of Praetorian Swordsmen + Unit Attachment
Agonizer
Mortitheurge Willbreaker

Opponent had:

ALL THE HALEYS, NOO!
- Lancer

Maximum unit of Horgenhold Forge Guard + Murdoch
Maximum unit of Stormguards
Maximum unit of Storm Lances
Rhupert
Ragman
Stormsmith Stormcaller
+ probably something I've forgotten already.

Scenario was Outflank and Skorne started.

Second turn I got a chance to shoot at Haley prime with Venator Reivers aided by Puppet Master and +2" movement from Tyrant Commander. The attack dealt ten points of damage.

I got completely fixated on getting those few damage points in. There's the lesson/reminder, really. Adjust your game as needed. You know, baskets and eggs and things like that. I got many opportunities to try a lucky shot with Cyclops Shaman, plus I threw both Tiberion and Bronzeback Titan for nothing. Poor Tiberion didn't even get within melee range, despite Bronzeback's animus. I didn't score that many infantry kills at all, though Praetorian Swordsmen did okayish job at dealing some damage to Stormguard. Tyrant Commander and what was left of Venators were trying to remove Storm Lances from the board.

My best chance to kill Haley Prime was when she didn't cast Temporal Flux on one turn and I got Cyclops Shaman to aim a shot at her, requiring 11+ to hit and 13+ to kill, coupled with two hit boosted Hellfire attacks that would hit on 13+ and kill with 11+, on other turns the final few points would have been more difficult, but if I'd only get that one good roll... One good roll... Okay, one more try... (there is a reason why I don't play slot machines or roulette and what else)

But no, not today. And by then I had lost the attrition overwhelmingly and opponent was already scoring points from one of the zones.

Too greedy, me.

No comments:

Post a Comment