Thursday, January 28, 2016

Frostgrave campaign game six

(Updated with pictures!)

Today I played a Frostgrave campaign game. We were missing one player, so we didn't continue Thaw of the Lich Lord.

So, instead we played a three player game with the scenario Tower of Silence.

(It's possible I'll get some pictures a little later that will illustrate the board better.) Okay, I add a couple of pictures retroactively. First picture is again showing the treasure locations.

Necromancer team was directly opposite of my deployment, and the sigilists were on my right. In a way sigilists had to fight a war on two fronts.

My troops and sigilists were having a big fight over a treasure token #2 that was inside of the Tower, but on ground level beneath a stairway. My treasure hunter went to pick it, but then enemy treasure hunter came to contest. Magic doesn't work inside the tower, so picking treasure up and casting Leap on the soldier was out of question. I had tried to screen some key areas with Fog to protect my models from shooting.

My wizard had cast Possess on a war hound that tried to bite some flankers. My apprentice used Eye of Amoto to cast Fleet Feet through Jack Saturn on barbarian. Adon rolls "1", but the spell is empowered to succeed. Adon the Apprentice had one hit point remaining after that. Well, at least there were quite a few fog walls blocking Line of Sight to the apprentice...

Then a sigilist war hound tried to bite the treasure hunter who had picked up treasure. War hound came so close that barbarian could have easily enter combat even without the Fleet Feet spell... oh well.

Another barbarian vs war hound combat happened, and to no-ones surprise war hound won and dealt seven points of damage to barbarian.

Next turn things were escalating. Sigilist wizard personally enter the general area of that fight. He has Invisibility cast upon him, though. Jack replies by walking next to him and drinking Potion of Invulnerability. The picture is remarkably confusing. I thought I'd include a picture from the Necromancer side too which shows how uncontested they were able to ascend the tower. The crude black arrow tries to align the perspective.

Adon drank healing potion to make up for his last casting.

It was probably my bard who killed the war hound engaging barbarian - but not before barbarian fell to four hit points. It's also possible that the war hound and barbarian rolled equal scores, which killed the hound and injured barbarian. However it happened, the invisible sigilist wizard forced combat with barbarian, who was trying to go and help treasure hunter in fight. Wizard beat the barbarian easily. Nasty, but now the wizard was in plain sight. Next initiative roll would matter a lot.

I got to act before the sigilists, so Jack, bard and marksman ganged up on the enemy wizard. First to move was bard, and the sigilist forced combat with her. And bard won by a large margin.

Next Jack and marksman enter the combat. Marksman attacks first, and is beaten to three hit points remaining. I get worried that I'd lose the bard, so Jack attacks next. Bam. Jack is down to four hit points remaining.

Well, there's still the bard left. The heroic bard. Bam. Bard is down to four hit boxes remaining, though she and the sigilist roll a tie, so both deal damage. This puts the wizard out of action. What a fight, and what a bard.

Necromancer warband shoots down my treasure hunter who tried to escape with a treasure on the far left. They also shoot a thug that had been screening Adon, so there was no other option than to pick the treasure with apprentice. I was afraid of their ranged weaponry, so I wanted to cast fog to hide Adon. Obviously roll fails, and he goes hiding behind some stairs.

A random sigilist thug came to harass the wounded gathering of wizard slayers. I wasn't all that afraid. I thought he was going after treasure hunter, who was carrying a treasure token. Nope. He was after Jack! He lobbed a wraith bottle right next to Jack, and a spectre appeared. I tried to distract the spectre by making it force combat with a war hound, but the spectre one-shot the puppy, and was after Jack again. Apothecary had made Jack drink the healing potion, but nine hit points isn't all that much against an enemy that deals double damage.

Jack was carrying Sword of Undead Slaying, so I had pretty decent chance of surviving the attack. And after I roll 15, I'm sitting safely at attack score of 23. However, the spectre rolls 20. I was so relieved when I learned that spectre had Fight score of only +2... Well, then everyone dead or fleeing, Jack casts Possess upon himself and starts chasing the Necromancers. You know, to keep in character.

Soon after Jack cast the smoke screen for Adon to go and secure the treasure. Jack failed to catch the necromancers and even cast Elemental Ball on a nice tight group of four enemy soldiers. Bummer. So instead Jack ascended the Tower of Silence to get a little extra experience from scenario.

Necromancers won this scenario big time, as they got the mega treasure from the tower, as well as one regular. I got two treasures and sigilists one. Those were all treasure tokens available in this particular scenario.

Jack got two levels. Treasure rolls were a little underwhelming, as I got only 160 gold and a magical bow with +2 to damage. At least I didn't lose any warband members - but still, if I count together the used potions by their sell price, I didn't break even in this game. Unless I would sell the bow that nobody is able to use at the moment.

Well, I didn't do that. I kicked one war hound out of the roster and replaced it with Rangifer. I got a very sweet rangifer model coming up...

Jack raised Fight by +1 and consumed the grimoire of Plague of Insects.

Story section that relates to events in this game can be found just above, or here.


So here's the more detailed roster I try to keep updated as accurately as possible:

Jack Saturn is level 18 with 1835 experience.
He has levelled fight by +3 and health by +2.
Fleet Feet spell has been improved by +4, Elemental Ball by +1, Leap by +1, Possess by +1, Imp by +1 and Fog by +2.
He has learned Plague of Insect
He has learned the Reveal Secret spell, which has been improved by +1.

Home base is Inn with Sarcophagus of Healing and Kennels

Vault has Magical two handed weapon (+1 damage modifier), Sword of Undead Slaying, Magical bow (+2 damage modifier)
Book of Rangifer
Eyes of Amoto
Grimoire: Poison Dart, Control Construct, Willpower, Furious Quill
Scroll of Planar Tear.
Teleport

Total gold that has been collected is 1630, unspent gold is 160.

Warband roster is worth 1340 gold (level 18 apprentice is 380) and includes:
Barbarian (with the two handed weapon from vault)
Marksman
Crossbowman
Thug
2x Treasure Hunter
Apothecary
Bard
War Hound
Rangifer

No comments:

Post a Comment