Friday, October 30, 2015

Adventures of Failhorn Satyr vol XVII

Last Tuesday I played a 35 point game of Warmachine.

I've had enough of Cryx for a little while, probably focusing on Circle of Orboros.

My list was:

Morvahna the Autumnblade
- Riphorn Satyr
- Gnarlhorn Satyr
- Rotterhorn Griffon

Druids of Orboros
Maximum unit of Wolves of Orboros + Unit Attachment
Shifting Stones
Blackclad Wayfarer
Gallows Grove

Opponent had:

Master Necrotech Mortenebra
- Harrower
- Slayer
- Helldiver

Maximum unit of Bane Thralls + Unit Attachment
Maximum unit of Mechanithralls
Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls
Warwitch Siren

Scenario was Two Fronts and Cryx started game. First picture is from the end of Circle turn 1. Morvahna has no Fury at all since she cast Regrowth on Wolves of Orboros and Harvest on herself. Spectral Steel is on Harrower.

Turn 2 Cryx advanced forward aggressively. Though a couple of various thralls were able to charge random targets, no real damage was done.

Circle turn 2... Circle turn 2 was lovely to play. My only gripe was that I just HAD had to use my newly painted warbeasts, Rotterhorn Griffon and Riphorn Satyr. Rotterhorn might be okay there, but Morvahna's forests can make Satyr movement difficult.

Also I really wanted to see Riphorn Satyr in action, so I planned around on charging it to Slayer. Being enthusiastic about new stuff makes false impressions if you go to make piece trades with a nine point beast against a six point warjack...

Anyway. Morvahna was one of the first models to activate. Blackclad Wayfarer cast Stone Spray over Mechanithralls first to fill Morvahna back to full Fury. Gallows Grove repositioned itself better, and then Morvahna activated. She advanced forward to middle of the board, used her feat and started casting Eruption of Life. I cast that three Fury spell three times that turn, killed a Mechanithrall that was engaging Rotterhorn Griffon and was left with no fury at all.

As a side note I'm not entirely sure why on earth I placed Gallows Grove on the left. Well, actually I know why I did that. There was a forest, and a tree likes to hide in a forest. What escaped my attention was that if I really needed Stealth against enemy with not much real shooting, I could always trigger Prowl from Druids of Orboros vortex clouds...

Then rest of the infantry models activate and clear a few Bane Thralls and Mechanithralls. That one critical Mechanithrall was left alive. Bummer. Four Bane Thralls get destroyed, and then Riphorn Satyr charges Slayer. Arm 17 warjack with a light warjack damage grid wasn't a problem for a Fury 4 heavy beast with three P+S 16 initial attacks and Grab & Smash.

By now Morvahna got a couple of fury points from Harvest for transfers. Shifting Stones teleported her to safety.

Turn 3 Cryx uses Mortenebra's feat. Mortenebra charges Riphorn Satyr and does mediocre job in damaging it - even when she forgot to cast Terminal Velocity with the last three focus points she had saved for it. Sometimes you just get bloodthirsty like that.

It didn't actually ruin anything that much as Mechanithralls were able to kill Riphorn Satyr, and Harrower had enough movement to charge a Wolf of Orboros and a Shifting Stone. Bane Thralls don't do anything too impressive, though one had ran into contact with Riphorn before Mechanithralls charged.

Then.

Mortenebra didn't have any focus points on her, but she was in cover behind the wall.

I guess I could have tried to assassinate her with two Eruption of Lives and P+S 11 light warbeast. That just seemed too unlikely, so I tried to play safely and grind my way to victory with unending wave of Wolves of Orboros.

But annoying things started to happen. Well, to be more accurate, they continued to happen. Every goddamn time I give even a tiny amount of responsibility for Gnarlhorn Satyr, it fails. It's a good thing I've been keeping this blog going on for quite some time. I have the data to prove that there is something wrong in my Gnarlhorn Satyr. But I'm getting ahead of things a little.

First Wolves of Orboros activated and charged here and there. I dedicated only two to Harrower as I could and would use Power Swell this turn. They dealt a respectable amount of damage. I don't remember how much, but 7-9 or so would be my guess. More than enough to secure that at least one or two systems would break even if Gnalrhorn would roll badly.

Gnarlhorn. I wanted to believe in you. I put all my faith and all my trust in you. I was like Gandhi, who instructed to offer trust in an individual no matter how many times that individual betrays you.

But you worthless carcass of a goat did not even break the ranged weapon.

I even forced the fourth fury in desperate hope to cripple the fighting capabilities of the warjack even for a tiny amount.

But that was not the greatest failing. It was only the most outrageous one because of the history.

I got afraid of Helldiver and moved Morvahna as far as possible. I didn't pay attention to Rotterhorn Griffon, who had already activated an secured a location to contest my friendly zone.

Morvahna had three fury left for transfers, but she had no transfer targets.

Next turn Helldiver one-shotted Morvahna.

No comments:

Post a Comment