Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Not a Fan

My laptop's fan broke down. I'm risking my past, my present and perhaps even my future... heck, I'm risking my life writing this blog post.

Anyway. Duty calls.

Over a week ago I played a 35 point game of Warmachine.

My list was:

Lich Lord Venethrax
- Desecrator
- Harrower
- Nightwretch

Maximum unit of Mechanithralls + 2x Brute Thralls
Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls
Necrotech & Scrap Thrall
2x Warwitch Siren
Saxon Orrik
Madelyn Corbeau

I don't know what Madelyn was supposed to do in this list - but I included her anyway, because it pains me to have a painted and never used model in my collection.

Anyway, my opponent had:

Grand Scrutator Severius
- Blessing of Vengeance
- Avatar

Minimum unit of Choir of Menoth
Daughters of the Flame
Maximum unit of Horgenhold Forge Guard + Attendant Priest
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord
Covenant of Menoth
Vassal of Menoth

Scenario was Outflank, and Protectorate started game. First picture is from the end of Cryx turn 1.

Venethrax has Lamentation on and Severius has it all. Defender's Ward is on Daughters, Eye of Menoth is on himself and Vision is on Blessing of Vengeance.

Turn 2 Protectorate rushes forward with Blessing of Vengeance. Severius attempts to cast Ashes to Ashes on Mechanithralls, but somehow the attack misses. I don't know how or why, but I sure was grateful.

Daughters on the right engaged my front line there. I have skipped Protectorate turn from the picture, so second picture is from the end of Cryx turn 2.

If I remember right the Mechanithralls destroyed Blessing of Vengeance's shield. A big portion of my army on the right charged daughters just for fun. Only two died, and one was seduced by a Warwitch Siren to go break unit coherency.

Turn 3 Severius unleashes his feat. Venethrax is probably not your go-to guy when facing Severius... oh well. The only good thing about the turn was that Severius advanced just into Venethrax's control area and could not cast Ashes to Ashes because of that. Well, he did cast Immolation on the Necrosurgeon instead and killed her.

Forge Guard, Vassal of Menoth and Blessing of Vengeance turn whole unit of Mechanithralls into useless pulp of rotten flesh. Avatar charges Desecrator and wrecks it. Avatar even had one focus left to spare, so it activated Gaze of Menoth. Daughter of the Flame tied Cryx up again.

At this point game looked rather devastating. Mechanithralls had fallen too easily. And now I didn't have any focus at all to try to drop systems from Avatar. Well, technically I could have Power Boosted Harrower to get a charge against Avatar, but I would have needed amazing damage roll to just right column to do anything. So another plan emerged. Warwitch Siren charges the Avatar! Oh yeah, now I'd get a turn to replenish some Focus and hopefully make the Avatar at least useless if not completely wrecked.

Siren rolls to hit... and it's a miss. Damn it.

Well, good thing I had to Warwitch Sirens. Second one managed to score a hit (and even deal one point of damage!) but now I had sacrificed both of my tools against the Avatar.

Brute Thrall missed the Blessing of Vengeance. Second attack scored a hit and some damage, but I lost one Mechanithrall to a free strike.

Oh, there are no more pictures.

Well, the end was short enough.

A mechanithrall and a brute thrall couldn't survive that many attacks, so there was no-one contesting the left zone. Severius ran there to dominate for two control points.

Avatar killed both Warwitches easily, and probably Daughters of the Flame killed Madelyn Corbeau. Now there was no-one contesting right zone either.

So Protectorate went to three control points in one turn.

As Avatar of Menoth was still gazing at my remaining forces, nobody could run to contest left zone. So I had to attempt a ridiculously difficult assassination that involved slamming Avatar, somehow killing Covenant of Menoth (who denied spellcasting) and then shooting Severius dead with a Hellfire.

If I would have bothered with math at that point, I'd have seen that even triple sixes from Hellfire wouldn't have killed Severius, so I was pretty much doomed there. And now when I'm actually writing this, it popped to my mind that you can't target spells at Severius. All that futile thinking... all for naught...

Anyway. I didn't remember it then, so I tried to pull the assassination off, but the very first step failed miserably. Nightwretch missed the slam attack against Avatar.

No comments:

Post a Comment