Wednesday, March 12, 2014

That's Right - Lay Down, Play Dead, Be Dead

Last Sunday I played another game of Warmachine with my new beloved model, Rufus the Reptile Hound.

Game was 35 points, and my list was:

Lord Arbiter Hexeris
- 2x Reptile Hounds
- Bronzeback Titan
- Archidon (bonded to Hexeris)

Minimum unit of Beast Handlers
Maximum unit of Praetorian Swordsmen + Unit Attachment
Venator Flayer Cannon
Swamp Gobbers Bellows Crew
Agonizer
Aptimus Marketh
Mortitheurge Willbreaker

Opponent had:

High Exemplar Kreoss
- Crusader
- Revenger
- Repenter
- Dervish

Minimum unit of Exemplar Errants
Minimum unit of Deliverers
Vilmon
2x Paladins
Wracks
Vassal of Menoth

Board was interestingly full, but I guess it didn't give either player a big advantage since both of our armies were terrible at navigating terrain. However, we just played a caster kill game. If we'd have had a scenario with two 12" zones and maybe a sprinkling of flags and objectives, their initial placement would have been a pain.

Anyway.

Skorne started game. Kreoss began upkeeping Lamentation, and did this throughout the whole game. I had Ashen Veil on Praetorian Swordsmen. It was a bit annoying that my whole damn army was so slow. On turn 2 I had only brought my army to perfect Kreoss feat position. But better that way than getting your caster knocked down and having multiple blunt traumas with various instruments all over his body. I decided to not take a picture from my second turn as only progress was slowish advancement and a couple of Flayer cannon shots against Revenger.

Second picture is a bad picture, as it leaves out a paladin, rest of the Exemplar Errants and Archidon out on the right. Just try to imagine them there, will you?

Rufus learned a trick this turn - lie down. That was almost a cheat, since I was playing against Kreoss. Kreoss had activated his feat, and everything else but the Archidon, Hexeris himself an standard bearer of Praetorian Swordsmen were inside the control area.

One Dervish and a Repenter wasn't enough to take out a knocked down Bronzeback, however. I guess it would have needed at least Vilmon and Revenger there, too. But if Bronzeback would have survived those even with one box remaining, all three would have been dead on a single activation of that particular warbeast. That is to say - I can understand the hesitation.

Repenter had two shots available thanks to ancillary attack, and one of those attacks scorched Praetorians. Deliverers took shots against them, too, but one of them managed to roll double 1's to attack roll and no blast damage cracked through Arm 14. But even with a little lousy performance from them, all I was left was three praetorians and their standard.

On my next turn I make a serious blunder.

I shake off knock down from all of the warbeasts. I'm going to use Hexeris' feat and get rid of all Exemplar Errants. A couple of beast handlers can forfeit their movement to stand up and enrage the Bronzeback and take fury away from Rufus. Bronzeback then demolishes Dervish in a couple of swings. I think I would have been happier with a little less grand damage rolls, because there wasn't even a remote chance that Bronzeback would get to Beat Back to Revenger. Ah well. Bronzeback throws Dervish to Revenger with Chain Attack, destroying Dervish and knocking down Revenger.

Then Archidon advances and riles a bit Fury.

Hexeris activates and moves forward and I start twirling my evil mustaches and already imagining the wonders I could do with 14 Fury. Opponent says that I just entered Lamentation range. Heh.

Heh.

What would have been an onslaught of flame and cinder turned out to be a couple of heals to Bronzeback and Bronzeback's animus cast upon Rufus.

Valiantly the Reptile Hound charges to Revenger, and really does Beat Back the warjack. Not twice, though, that would have been too much.

Next turn Paladin on the right charges Archidon. I'm sure those knights wondered that why the heck did the beast just come and stare them menacingly. Paladin scored quite high damage, and I was sure Archidon was done for.

Exemplar Errants charge, three get to Archidon and rest go somewhere else. All three missed against Archidon. And to make matters even worse, if I'm looking right at the picture, the two who charged Beast Handler also missed? One who got to Beast Handler unit leader seems to have dispatched his target.

Vilmon goes to Stone and Mortar stance and Impervious Wall. Crusader didn't manage to kill Rufus - it was left alive with one damage box in Mind branch. Revenger backed off and took a free strike from the Reptile Hound, but took no damage. Without Body branch P+S 8 isn't going to do much.

And then some stuff happened.

Bronzeback is enraged by beast handlers and Hexeris casts Trainwreck on it. Then Bronzeback charges Vilmon. Even if it cannot harm Vilmon, it can still Beat Back it. Well, there was this free strike thing, though. Bronzeback had to take a free strike from Vilmon, because I didn't pay attention to the paladin's facing. Damage roll was quite low, though, and Bronzeback lost "only" it's mind.

That did mean that every attack roll had to be boosted, and still hit chances were only about 50%. This time it was enough, and Kreoss was beaten to death by an enraged, mindless Bronzeback Titan on fire.

This was enough for opponent to make a beautiful reaction picture to the situation (used with permission).

I could say it's overreacting, but then I would be lying.

No comments:

Post a Comment