Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Warmachine in Kuhmo

This game was played a little after Christmas eve.

It was a traditional 35 point game versus Protectorate of Menoth.

I had:

Mohsar the Desertwalker
- Riphorn Satyr
- Gorax
- Rotterhorn Griffon
- Woldwyrd

Minimum unit of Wolves of Orboros + Unit Attachment
Druids of Orboros
2x Gallows Grove
Totem Hunter

Objective: Fuel cache

Opponent played:

Grand Exemplar Kreoss
- Fire of Salvation
- Dervish

Minimum unit of Choir of Menoth
Maximum unit of Exemplar Bastions
Knights Exemplar
Daughters of Flame
Vilmon
Paladin
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord

Objective: Arcane Wonder

Scenario was Fire Support and Circle started game. First picture is from the end of Circle turn 2 I think. I've skipped quite a few pictures as the images are of poor quality.

White AoE's are Pillar of Salt spells. Official AoE's are Vortexes on Druids. Mohsar has already used his feat.

Circle had Mirage on Wolves of Orboros and Sunhammer just for kicks. Inviolable Resolve is on Bastions and Sacrosanct on Daughters of the Flame.

Turn 2 Bastions wrecked two salt pillars, which just opened a charge lane for Fire of Salvation to Woldwyrd. It was so really damn close that had I placed the pillar just a few millimetres to the left, the charge would have failed.

Turn 3 I'm not sure if I should use Primal on Riphorn Satyr. I decide not to, and instead charge it with one Wolf of Orboros, Riphorn Satyr and Totem Hunter. Wolves used Power Swell, as I didn't believe Wolves officer would live to see another turn.

I chose not to use Primal, and as a consequence the heavy protectorate warjack was left alive with one box remaining. I had to use Totem Hunter to finish it off. Mohsar spammed pillars to eat enemy activations and used his feat again with a permission from the opponent.

Protectorate made Kreoss use his feat. Results could have been devastating if there wouldn't have been salt pillars around. Well, actually they didn't help. Results were game breaking devastation anyway. Who would have guessed that Dervish would kill an Arm 19 heavy warbeast all by itself? Well sure, it was one P+S 15 +3d6 and four P+S 15 +2d6 damage rolls, so it wasn't that egregious.

Turn 4 I wondered what to do, as I had lost the only real damage dealer in my army. To be on the safe side, I used Mohsar's feat again with a permission. I saw some sort of a possibility in playing scenario at least for a little while, but there were at least four Daughters of the Flame contesting the flag.

Wolves of Orboros officer charged one and killed her. Sacrosanct knocked him down. Something, probably Totem Hunter, killed another. Rotterhorn Griffon placed it's own animus on itself and went within 2" of two Daughters. Fun fact: POW 8 just isn't enough to kill an ARM 12 model even with two attempts. This sucks.

Originally I wanted to advance a Druid of Orboros to the flag and then use Sands of Fate to start scoring points. I had already used most of my activations, so the Druid who was going to sacrifice himself couldn't reach the flag as he wasn't able to walk directly towards it. One of the Druids did score the killing blow with a Force Bolt, however.

Mohsar then uses his ranged attack on Dervish and casts Primal on Gorax. He shifts away with Sands of Fate and puts one Pillar up. Gorax wrecks Dervish.

Vortex cloud saved Gorax from the Bastions. Knights in shining armour started to look quite scary when I pretty much had only POW 10's at my disposal.

To make things interesting Kreoss camps all focus and runs forward closer to my friendly flag. Yes! This was my moment. One assassination coming right up.

This required quite a lot of shuffling around with Druids of Orboros. They had to pull a couple of Bastions away so they wouldn't get free strikes against Rotterhorn Griffon. Druids succeeded in that - as well as bringing in a major bonus in knocking down Kreoss himself.

I charged Rotterhorn Griffon to Kreoss, but didn't do that much damage. But now the beast had Fury, so Mohsar could use maltreatment on it. So, Mohsar with nine focus charged Kreoss. First he cast Curse of Shadows on him.

In total I did nine points of damage in. Seems like yelling "get off my lawn" doesn't work on Kreoss.

After the game I thought out an alternative way to try the assassination - to activate Mohsar first, cast Curse of Shadows on Kreoss and Primal on Rotterhorn Griffon. Though the number of attacks would have been reduced greatly, I guess damage potential might have been higher thanks to effectively getting the Griffon to P+S 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment