Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Does two Wrong Eyes make a right one?

Two 75 point games of Warmachine from this... month, or so.

Deneghra, the Soul Weaver
- Corruptor
- Defiler
- Erebus

Mechanithralls (min) +2x Brute Thralls
Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls
The Withershadow Combine
Iron Lich Overseer
- Leviathan
Necrotech
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor
Pistol Wraith
2x Soul Trapper
Warwitch Siren

Opponent had:

Actually I got no idea what opponent had. I don't remember the names of the monstrosities and cannot easily tell the two drudge units from each other. List may have been something like this:

Cognifex Cyphon
- Warden
- 2x Wrecker

Alexia Ciannor & the Risen + Dominator
2x Cephalyx Mind Bender & Drudges (max)
Cephalyx Mind Slaver & Drudges (min)
Cephalyx Mind Slaver & Drudges (max)
Cephalyx Overlords
Horgenhold Artillery Corps + Dominator
2x Cephalyx Agitator

Scenario was Take & Hold.

This write-up is bound to be brief, as it's been way too long since I played this game and it was a long one.

In the first picture, for example, I forget why there is one monstrosity close to my flag. It was probably something with Leviathan having Stealth from Iron Lich Overseer, so that Cognifex was not able to cast Gallows on the heavy warjack. It's possible that opponent had used feat this turn, too, and when Gallows shenanigans and such went wrong, the benefits of feat were less than impressive.

So was my next turn, too. I really hope Cognifex had used the feat, because otherwise dice rolls must have been exceedingly subpar. I dedicated Leviathan, Iron Lich Overseer, Deneghra, Defiler and Pistol Wraith to kill the monstrosity - and failed. The monstrosity was at one hit box remaining, under corrosion and stationary from Death Chill.

Opponent killed Iron Lich Overseer, because somehow I had thought it more beneficial to take a POW 12 swing at ARM 22 target or something than cast Stealth. I think Erebus took a hit despite DEF 16 and obviously some Mechanithralls died, but other than that I cannot remember. Except, well, there it is in the picture. A daunting swarm of drudges closed in.

I think I used Deneghra's feat next and spammed Mortality all over the board. Corruptor is a nice piece of art when fighting Drudges with a warcaster that can remove Tough.

For some reason I also charged in with Erebus, getting four kills at maximum. Deneghra re-activated Leviathan under her control and used feat souls to fill it with focus. It probably killed monstrosity on the right next.

Of course I lost Erebus, foolish as I was launching him in to the thick of action. Necrosurgeon was steadily bringing in new batches of Mechanithralls - opponent had been extremely unlucky in his attempts to remove her.

Next I figure that if I kill the last monstrosity, Deneghra will have very little to fear. She and Leviathan killed it. From here on game went weird and awkward. We were both trying to dominate the enemy flag. Cyphon was continuously spraying Deneghra with the "cannot cast spells" gun, which meant I didn't have the courage to charge him. Not without Mortality, no.

Eventually Deneghra was more successful in grinding out scenario points. Killing blow was when Cognifex was unable to finish Leviathan that didn't have all that many health boxes remaining.



Game 2:

Second game was played about a week later. My list was:

Lich Lord Asphyxious
- Malice
- Ripjaw
- 2x Stalker
Bane Warriors (max) + Officer & Standard
Bile Thralls (min) + Skarlock Commander
Darragh Wrathe
Scrap Thralls
2x Soul Trapper
Wrong Eye & Snapjaw

Opponent had:


Gorten Grundback
- 2x Ghordson Driller
- 2x Grundback Gunner

2x Kayazy Eliminators
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt
Kell Bailoch
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor
Savio Montero Acosta
Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker
Rorsh & Brine
Wrong Eye & Snapjaw


Scenario was Entrenched and Cryx started game.

I had some success in removing some solos and whatnot with surprise SPD 6 Purge sprays from Bile Thralls.

Engaging didn't feel like an option when both had Star Crossed going on for them.

Looked like game would become a scenario grind-fest, but opponent got Savio Acosta into a difficult spot to remove and I didn't feel like I would be able to punch through enemy armor any time soon.

So, assassination attempt it was. All models I had tried to kill Wrong Eye first. It didn't succeed, so Asphyxious walked forward and cast Parasite on Gorten. Then he used feat and got seven thralls back or something. One thrall killed off Wrong Eye, and a four thralls or so succeeded in charging Gorten.

One was a miss, but three other attacks hit.

Last one caused a Tough roll, which obviously succeeded when I couldn't make any more attacks. Maybe with a little bit better positioning from the very start of my feat I could have got five thralls at him... but maybe it wouldn't have changed anything. After all, three 7+'s on two dice out of four attempts was far better statistics than what I have come used to...

Anyway, Asphyxious was butchered up many times over on the next turn. If I had saved up enough focus points for Teleport, maybe I would have played for one additional turn.

Now, Asphyxious3 needs to fail at caster kill because of Tough roll and I have a full set complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment