Sunday, August 9, 2015

Rock in gore

Last Friday I played a 50 point game of Warmachine.

Seems like I just haven't had enough of Black Ogruns yet. Just wait until I include them with Mortenebra.

But that wasn't what I did last Friday. My list:

Goreshade the Bastard
- Nightmare
- Leviathan
- Harrower

Maximum unit of Black Ogruns
Maximum unit of Mechanithralls + Commander + 2x Brute Thralls
Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls
Cephalyx Overlords
Warwitch Siren
Necrotech & Scrap Thrall
Saxon Orrik
Gorman diWulfe

Objective: Fuel depot


Opponent had (to my delight):

Anson Durst
- Reckoner
- Templar
- Devout

Minimum unit of Choir of Menoth
Maximum unit of Exemplar Bastions
Maximum unit of Temple Flameguard + Unit Attachment
Aiyana & Holt
Vassal of Menoth
Vassal Mechanic
Reclaimer
Wracks
Epic Eiryss
Gorman diWulfe

Scenario was Recon and Protectorate started. First picture is from the end of Cryx turn 1. So far Saxon Orrik has run to engage Eiryss in combat, and Nightmare has been poorly positioned right next to objective.

Turn 2 Temple Flameguard advance cautiously and use their minifeat. Aiyana & Holt and Reckoner shot off a Black Ogrun, and Eiryss missed Saxon.

Goreshade allocated one Focus to Nightmare, and then Nightmare used a free charge from Fuel Depot to go and wreck enemy objective. Well, as I had placed it in base contact with the objective, it couldn't align itself to charge directly towards the enemy objective. It missed its mark by about a quarter of an inch - half inch.

Leviathan shot a bit of damage to the objective - probably three if the die is a reminder of that. Saxon Orrik scores a lucky hit against Eiryss and kills her outright. Emboldened by this, Mechanithralls run to overwhelm their flank. Goreshade casts Shadowmancer less surprisingly, and calls Nightmare back from it's failed charge. Black Ogruns just screened.

Turn 3 is Ansons feat turn, and Protectorate turtles up, slowly delivering the warjacks forward. But that didn't seem too bad. I'd be able to re-make Nightmares fail charges for all eternity and just call it back. That ought to have some impact on the enemy heavies.

Cryx turn I, as a Cryx player, shoot a target very dead with real ranged weaponry. I'm not kidding anyone. Leviathan gets a real high damage roll against objective, and then Black Ogruns advance to make a combined ranged attack against it. Wow. Scenario game started to look pretty good option here.

Harrower charges some Flameguards, and kills two of them. Cephalyx Overseers sprayed twice on Aiyana & Holt, and one of the attacks succeeded in removing the real target - Aiyana.

Saxon Orrik gives pathfinder for Mechanithralls, who then charge and run to engage enemy models. No big surprises there. They even killed one Flameguard.

Goreshade activates and casts Shadowmancer and Soul Gate to move Harrower to the woods. I don't know what on earth caused me to make such a fatal move. I could have easily moved farther to the right, but no. Goreshade just HAD to make some sort of a "here I am, you can't catch me and I'm all kinds of invulnerable if you do! You know why? Because I got BLACK OGRUNS in front of me!" show. After all, even if middle zone had been an important place for Goreshade to be I could have always measured control area so as not to place Goreshade inside Ansons personal threat range.

that blunder is even worse if you think how I also failed to remember opponent had Boundless Charge.

Ah well.

Turn 4 opponent just has to remove two Black Ogruns which, sadly, isn't a very difficult thing to do. Then Anson charged focusless Goreshade. Deathwalker gave me a tiny hope if opponent would just miss a couple of attacks. But even Deathwalker with her -2 str aura and the "heal one point once you die" thing was not enough to save me from placing Goreshade poorly.

Damn. Otherwise I think I would have had a pretty strong game.

No comments:

Post a Comment