Monday, June 1, 2015

Road to Steam & Fury

Last Thursday I played a 50 point game of Warmachine. Now I'm starting to practice up my Skorne, which I'm taking to a tournament in about two weeks or so.

My list was:

Void Seer Mordikaar
- Basilisk Krea
- Cyclops Shaman
- Archidon
- Bronzeback Titan

Maximum unit of Cataphract Cetrati
Maximum unit of Beast Handlers
Maximum unit of Praetorian Swordsmen + Unit Attachment
Swamp Gobbers
Agonizer
Willbreaker
Void Spirit

Opponent had:

Forge Master Syntherion
The Great Machine tier 4
- Corollary
- Mitigator
- (free) Galvanizer
- Cipher
- Assimilator
- Inverter
- Monitor

2x Optifex Directives
Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex
Attunement Servitors
Transfinite Emergence Projector

Scenario was Incursion, and Convergence started game. First picture is from end of Skorne turn 1 with a couple of activations done by Convergence in turn 2.

Hollow is on Praetorian Swordsmen, and Mordikaar put four Fury to Agonizer. So Mordikaar was at zero Fury. But I was sure that being on a hill and inside Paralytic Aura would be enough to keep the warlock alive.

Convergence has Hot Shot on Cipher, Synergy on Syntherion and Reconstruct on Inverter. Magnetic Hold that was cast on Praetorian Swordsmen missed its target even with a boost.

Some Praetorian Swordsmen died during turn 2, but it was mostly just about advancing.

Skorne turn 2 was Mordikaar's feat. With better management I could have scored at least two control points, probably three. But SPD 4 Bronzeback just doesn't run that far, and after I had activated Praetorian Swordsmen I realized that I couldn't bring anyone else to control rightmost flag. Oh well. At least Void Spirit scored that one point.

Mordikaar had cast one Revive, and gave Agonizer two Fury after it had cried "no focus allocation" agony.

Cetrati advance in shield wall, and Basilisk Krea follows them with her aura. Cyclops Shaman spreads the aura even further by casting it, too. And that's about it.

Turn 3 Mitigator scores a double 6 hit against Cataphract Cetrati. Whee. Next Transfinite Emergence Projector advances, and shoots three Cetrati dead with two POW 10+5d6 sprays. They were the only real casualties that turn, but even so they were a lot more than I expected. Cipher also tried to snipe off the pesky Agonizer that had forbidden focus allocation for Galvanizer and Inverter. Tormented baby titan suffered some 4-5 points of damage.

On my turn 3 I didn't want to leave Transfinite Emergence Projector alive because of the firepower I had just witnessed. But how much beating such a battle engine could take? I didn't know for sure, so I dedicated Basilisk Krea and Archidon for the job, both enraged. I couldn't figure out a good way to remove the servitor on the left, right next to Mitigator. I didn't want to waste Cetratis for that, so Void Spirit quit controlling the left flag and killed the servitor. Now Archidon was free to charge the battle engine without suffering a free strike from Mitigator.

Praetorian Swordsmen made some automatic damage points to Assimilator. Half-jokingly I was taking wagers on how many heavy warjacks Bronzeback would be able to take down in one turn. But as often is the case, you really shouldn't boast about anything prematurely. Sure, Bronzeback was Enraged and Mordikaar had cast Train Wreck on it, so heavy damage was to be expected. But damn that Reconstruct. I had completely forgotten about it's existence. So Inverter survived. Monitor broke down to pieces, but it took one attack more than anticipated thanks to just some two or three damage boxes remaining. And the last attacks Bronzeback was able to make against Monitor didn't even destroy it even if Praetorian Swordsmen had already softened it up. Meh.

I guess I shouldn't complain, but hey. It's the Bronzeback. Though I guess Bronzeback didn't forget about Reconstruct... I did. But I'm not going to look in the mirror, no! Always blame the minions.

Mordikaar had also cast Revive to bring back one Cetrati, and filled Agonizer with Fury. Agonizer was also controlling the middle flag. As it turned out, Galvanizer was less than half an inch too far to contest.

Turn 4 it was probably Syntherion himself who shot down the Agonizer, and then the vectors started to induct Focus for Inverter and possibly Assimilator, too. It looked rather worrying prospect for Bronzeback - a POW 20 knockdown hit followed by automatically hitting attacks by two heavies. But for some reason the Macropummeler attack feels like Lascannon from another game, another time. The attack that mattered the most missed here. And that was even with a boost.

As a consequence Bronzeback survived, so game was probably over barring some surprise assassination.

But as I was practising for a tournament, I had been measuring my time. And if it had been a real tournament game, I was in a real hurry, as I had only eight minutes or so left in my clock when my turn began. Threshold checks by Archidon and Basilisk Krea ate up that clock unnecessarily, as they both failed their checks and frenzied, and attacked each other. Still better love story than Twilight.

So. If it'd been in a tournament, I needed to hastily arrange all three flags for me, as I couldn't realistically pull off an assassination in this situation. Galvanizer looked like it might be within 4" of the middle flag and there were no models to control flag on the left. Both warbeasts had used up their activations in their fierce embrace.

Rightmost flag was the easy one. Willbreaker ran to the flag and Swordsmen/Bronzeback destroyed the contesting Assimilator.

Enraged Cyclops Shaman charged Galvanizer, and failed to kill (or so I thought - I hadn't counted the enrage bonus to damage rolls) the light vector.

Cetrati ran to leftmost flag, one into base contact with flag and another within 4" of the flag. The one that had been engaging Galvanizer had been too far and didn't get within 4" of the flag.

Mordikaar advanced into base contact with the middle flag. Then he cast Essence Blact on the Cetrati who was farther than 4" from left flag, and Revived another dead Cetrati right back, this time within 4" of the flag.

So it all depended if Galvanizer was within 4" of the flag. Well, it wasn't - and it was, in fact, a wreck marker because of the enrage bonuses for Cyclops Shaman.

Two and half minutes left in clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment