Monday, August 17, 2015

Striking Black Ogruns

This game was played last Tuesday.

It was a 50 point game, and I wanted to give my earlier list another chance. I didn't make any alterations to it at all, because I didn't think my loss last time was because of the list. It was because of reasons.

Goreshade the Bastard
- Nightmare
- Leviathan
- Harrower

Maximum unit of Black Ogruns
Maximum unit of Mechanithralls + Commander + 2x Brute Thralls
Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls
Cephalyx Overlords
Warwitch Siren
Necrotech & Scrap Thrall
Saxon Orrik
Gorman diWulfe

Objective: Fuel cache

Opponent had:

Anson Durst
- Judicator
- Sanctifier
- Devout

Minimum unit of Choir of Menoth
Maximum unit of Exemplar Bastions
Maximum unit of Temple Flameguard + Unit Attachment
Hierophant
Vassal of Menoth
Vassal Mechanic
Wracks

Scenario was Two Fronts, and Cryx started game. First picture is taken from my deployment. My game board is 8" too short, so it means both players need to take 4" off from their deployment. Usually this has been no problem for me, but this time my Mechanithralls, and especially the Necrosurgeon, were literally (un)living on the edge.

First real picture is from the end of Protectorate turn 1.

Turn 2 I want to give Nightmare optimal charge lane to enemy objective for next turn. I couldn't figure any especially good use for Black Ogruns, so they just formed a meat wall between enemy and helljacks. Little did I know what was to come...

Anyway. Mechanithralls on the right advanced to take a beating from Temple Flameguard (profit), or not take a beating from Temple Flameguard (profit). As an added bonus Skarlock Commander landed a solid hit with Dark Fire against the closest Flameguard member.

Protectorate.

Protectorate.

It's painful to write this turn. Too painful, man.

Judicator advanced and shot every gun it got all over Cryx army, but did rather poorly. Not even one Black Ogrun died even after taking a couple of flamethrower bursts right in the abs. Rest of the Protectorate just walks a bit forward, except for Temple Flameguard. Temple Flameguard charge, and fail to destroy my friendly objective. Nice! A big gathering of fleshy troops whose sacrifice was for nothing. I don't think there were any real casualties for me that turn. Any. Real. Casualties.

Black Ogruns failed their Terror check that was caused by Temple Flameguard.

There. I said it.

I just don't... uh. What to say? I've been giving Black Ogruns quite a lot of board time even if they seem to be the laughingstock of Cryx troop choices. I give them all the love and all the caring they could never expect from anyone else. And this is how they pay it back. I guess they went on a strike for better working conditions or something.

Turn 3 Temple Flameguard are all but destroyed, and THEY succeed in THEIR massive casualties test. Slaughter also triggered Hallowed Avenger on Sanctifier, who charged Nightmare I think. It's also possible that it picked some other target because it looked so close, but the end result was that suddenly in middle of my turn a wild Sanctifier appeared. What was left to activate from me was not enough to destroy the Protectorate heavy warjack or even seriously injure it, so Gorman diWulfe came around and threw some Black Oil over it.

Goreshade cast Shadowmancer (as he had done every turn of the game) and cast Soul Gate to bring Nightmare to safety. Black Ogruns at least succeed in rallying themselves.

Protectorate started to dominate their friendly zone, since removing a couple of Black Ogruns from contesting wasn't a big deal. Temple Flameguard still fails to destroy the objective.

Turn 4 I seem to be unable to think two activations forwards, and that causes a lot of trouble in placement. I have to sacrifice a lot of activations to get rid of one pesky Stitch Thrall who was standing in Nightmare's way. Then Nightmare makes its free charge (from objective) against the Sanctifier, and I guess Harrower and Nightmare and a couple of Black Ogruns were enough to destroy the warjack.

There's not much to tell about the right side of the battle. Mechanithralls died, mechanithralls spawned right back and dealt a little bit of damage here and there to the Bastions.

Bastions got real angry about the tickling they had to endure, and they charged. Two got to charge Nightmare. One of them was within Deathwalker's -2 strength aura. Nightmare was still completely uninjured. First attack dealt fourteen points in. Second attack (with -2 str) dealt fourteen points in. Now everybody can go and count how many damage boxes a Slayer chassis warjack has. Or you can just look at the picture.

My objective is finally slain.

Turn 5 it looks like game is over unless I figure something to win instead. And my plan was to kill Deathwalker, charge in with Goreshade and make her anew from an Exemplar Bastion, run her as close to Anson as possible, use feat and charge Anson with Bane Thralls.

Well. I wasted a lot of time in planning around that Deathwalker thing. But I killed her by running her out of Goreshade's command range. Lots of shenanigans later Goreshade does succeed in bringing her back. That's the moment when I remember that she has already activated. Pro play right here.

Only three Bane Thralls get to charge Anson Durst. With -2 Def it might have been possible, and it still was if all Banes rolled 7+ to hit.

First Bane Thrall hit Anson and dealt something like eight damage points in. That triggered Retaliatory Strike from Anson, which hit and destroyed the Bane Thrall. Eruption of Ash caused the second Bane in line to suffer POW 12 damage roll, so suddenly I got only one Bane Thrall remaining for attacks. Well. He didn't do it.

And Protectorate had four scenario points. So Protectorate would win outright if they destroyed two Bane Thralls and one Black Ogrun from the zone. There was also a focusless Goreshade out there in the open, but scenario victory it was.

And now I'm going to have a stern talking-to to my Black Ogruns.

No comments:

Post a Comment