Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Guards! Guards! (with added rats)

 I gave a Malifaux demo. edit: Actually two, with the other one week-and-a-half later. So I'll slap it here instead.

This time opponent had own figures, so I couldn't go with my usual setup. 

Instead, we had:

Taggart Queeg
The Dispatcher
2x Rifleman

And my team:

Sebastian
Zombie Chihuahua
2x Flesh Construct

So, we broke the rules with totems! How horrible. 

I was a bit worried how a demo would turn out against such a shooty team.

However, a real simple scenario of "gain a victory point if you killed an enemy model this turn" worked wonders, as it kept the death count in check. Guild could have easily shot off one of my Flesh Constructs off the board first turn thanks to a lucky severe damage from a rifle shot, but since you couldn't score during first turn it was advantageous to keep the thing alive. This gave me some time to poison up the Flesh Construct and heal it with Blood Poisoning, thus demonstrating how situation on board is in constant shift. 

Taggart shot an enemy scheme off my Zombie Chihuahua, and was able to turn it into a friendly scheme with his bonus. 

We played with open schemes, so I knew opponent had Dig Their Graves. Since the Flesh Construct, now at four health, had been right next to Zombie Chihuahua, this was an excellent move that I did not even especially point out. 

Next turn opponent obviously shot the Flesh Construct away. This left time for an angry puppy to charge a rifleman, essentially dealing three points of damage via two poison from Infect, turned instantly to damage with Blood Poisoning. And after activation ended, the doggo stank one more point of poison.

Taggart would have none of it, and whipped the puppy dead since it was insignificant and didn't count for scenario. He walked a bit closer towards Chihuahua's corpse, which made it possible for a reckless Flesh Construct to do a double walk and interact for Deliver Message.

Rifleman and Dispatcher were softening up Flesh Construct, and Sebastian walked and tossed formaldehyde over a bunch of models. Only one test failed - the one that Flesh Construct relented. Boo.

Next turn Flesh Construct was able to score a kill from Rifleman that had a single wound remaining. Guardsmen butchered the thing up, and suddenly there was only Sebastian left of my crew. Next turn he did manage to kill second Rifleman, but was brought down to two or three health remaining. That was Assassinate reveal for Guild. And last turn they scored Assassinate end condition. 

So, there was enough action going on after all, and casualties on both sides. Good game as far as demos go. 

Demo 2:

During last demo I grew fond of the idea of using totems without a master for demo purposes. I also shook up my own list to:

Benny Wolcomb
1x Stolen
Obedient Wretch
2x Prospector

and for the demo player:

Sebastian
Zombie Chihuahua
2x Guild Autopsy
Flesh Construct

I didn't spam soulstones with Prospectors or even take Rat Kings with me when I left home. I felt those might skew demo too much. But otherwise I liked the dynamic of my team having three Manipulative and one Serene Countenance model, while opponent had one Ruthless model. 

Starting from second turn onwards, I diverted one Prospector towards Experimental deployment zone, which left me struggling in the middle. Benny, Obedient Wretch, Stolen and Prospector just weren't much of a threat to Guild Autopsy, Flesh Construct and Sebastian. Especially when opponent received Assassinate point on turn two, and first activation on turn 3 killed Benny. 

But  I did manage to kill one Guild Autopsy for a strategy point, and Deliver a Message to Sebastian. The lone Prospector was able to spam scheme markers to opponent's deployment enough to score Breakthrough reveal and end. Opponent, however, received full points from Assassinate, one from Dig Their Graves and a total of three from strategy when they managed to kill even the last Prospector. Not much of a breakthrough, now wasn't it? 

And now we just wait if the planted seeds come to fruition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment