Thursday, July 5, 2018

JMG Warmachine tournament III

At the end of last month there was a tournament held in my home city. As I had not been able to practice much, I had decided on a familiar list structure - Deneghra3 and Infernal Machines.

This time my second list was in theme, too. Which was Infernal Machines.

My lists were:
[Theme] Infernal Machines
Deneghra, the Soul Weaver [+27]
- Corruptor [14]
- Deathripper [6]
- Inflictor [13]
- Nightmare [18]
- Nightwretch [7]
- The Withershadow Combine [9]
Necrotech [2]
Pistol Wraith [0(5)]
Soul Trapper [1]
Mechanithralls (min) [6]
- Brute Thrall (2) [4]
Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls [4]
Soulhunters (max) [18]


[Theme] Infernal Machines
Master Necrotech Mortenebra [+24]
- Kraken [36]
- Seether [13]
- Stalker [8]
Darragh Wrathe [9]
Pistol Wraith [0(5)]
Ragman [4]
Soul Trapper [1]
Bile Thralls (max) [15]
Mechanithralls (max) [9]
- Brute Thrall (2) [4]

Tournament waas four rounds and used steamroller 2018 rules.

Game 1: Deneghra3

Opponent had

[Theme] Masters of War
Tyrant Xerxis [+28]
- Agonizer [6]
- Tiberion [22]
Extoller Soulward [3]
Mortitheurge Willbreaker [4]
Cataphract Cetrati (max) [18]
- Tyrant Vorkesh [0(6)]
Legends of Halaak [8]
Paingiver Beast Handlers (min) [5]
Praetorian Ferox (max) [20]
Praetorian Swordsmen (max) [13]
- Praetorian Swordsman Officer & Standard [4]
Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer [0(6)]
Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer [0(6)]


First game against Skorne was probably the most exciting one this tournament had. Shame that it had such an ending.

I neither had the raw hitting power required to crack such a brick list, nor the attack volume. And not much of an attrition either. So I had to be exceedingly careful in this game - and even with time constraints I think I did pretty well. Game became a real struggle with control points, Skorne always being a point or two in lead. I got to commit Deneghra to danger and have her in action, which I'm somehow drawn into.

But I strongly dislike time limits, whether coming from clock or a set number of rounds. And in this game experience was ruined by both. It looked like I was winning with deathclock - opponent had three seconds left in clock. But then again it was seventh turn, which gave scenario victory for Skorne. I wouldn't have been happy had I won with deathclock, and I couldn't be happy that I lost to game being cut in a manner that I find artificial. But out of these two the latter was better here, as I believed I'd lose the game at least to attrition. So victory at least got to rightful hands.



Game 2: Deneghra3

Opponent had:

[Theme] Storm of the North
Horgle, the Anvil [+29]
- Dire Troll Bomber [19]
- Dire Troll Mauler [15]
- Trollkin Runebearer [0(5)]
Fell Caller Hero [0(5)]
Valka Curseborn, Chieftain of the North [0(6)]
Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes (max) [9]
- Northkin Elder [3]
Trollkin Champions (max) [16]
- Skaldi Bonehammer [5]
- Trollkin Sorcerer (1) [3]
Trollkin Champions (max) [16]
Hearthgut Hooch Hauler [18]


I probably mentioned how I enjoy sending Deneghra3 into the middle of action?

Games like these are annoying. Fortunately they don't happen all that often, but still. I stole the victory from my very own mouth by making choices based on misunderstandings.

Game was good up until to the point where time started running short. Again it was a game of trying to grind control points, but this time the advantage was for me.

I either had the chance to try and assassinate Horgle or trying to get the few remaining points from control points 6-4. But my model count was already so low, not to mention the clock. So I launched Deneghra and some random mechanithralls upon Horgle.

I had given Puppet Master for Deneghra. Mortality missed, and obviously I forgot to use Mortality.

Second Mortality hit, but that was six focus points away from actual attacks for assassination. Also, every damn attempt at killing Dire Troll Mauler (that had around five boxes left) failed.

Then Mechanithralls charged, but didn't amount to much. Especially when I re-rolled an attack roll 5,5 that was slightly tilted next to scenario zones.

At some point after the game it came to my attention that opponent actually had three scenario points.

So I would've needed to kill Valka Curseborn and the nearly dead Dire Troll Mauler to score those remaining points.

Oh well. Lose & Learn.


Game 3: Deneghra3

I can't piece together the list involved in game three. It was against Khador and Sorscha1. I don't have any pictures of this match because the game was over before I realized.

I respect the bravery of my opponent. It takes some courage to attend a tournament without that much playing experience. Opponent didn't realize players scored scenario points in every turn after the second players' second turn. And Khadoran warjacks tend to be slow, unless list is specifically built to enhance that. It was a fast scenario victory for Cryx.


Game 4: Mortenebra

Opponent had a list something like this:

[Theme] The Bones of Orboros
Krueger the Stormlord [+27]
- Megalith [20]
- Wold Guardian [16]
- Woldwarden [14]
- Woldwarden [14]
- Woldwyrd [9]
- Woldwyrd [9]
Blackclad Stoneshaper [0(3)]
Blackclad Stoneshaper [3]
Blackclad Stoneshaper [3]
Blackclad Wayfarer [0(4)]
Blackclad Wayfarer [0(4)]
Gallows Grove [2]
Gallows Grove [2]
Sentry Stone & Mannikins [5]
Shifting Stones [3]
- Stone Keeper [2]

Last game was over nearly as fast as the previous one - this time to my demise. I really should've known better than to run Mortenebra that far up. But I thought she'd be kind of safe beyond the forest. After all there were no Tree Walkers or other kind of forest-sighted models. But a Gallows Grove was able to get line of sight to Mortenebra with a tiniest sliver of base tugging out from the forest. Then Krueger hit Mortenebra with a boosted Telekinesis, and remaining fury was spent on two telekinesis's on Megalith and Woldwarden. First Megalith trampled into the forest and managed to hit with Weight of Stone. Woldwarden trampled, too, and killed Mortenebra.

To make this loss even saltier was the fact that I had Seether nearby - had it's facing been even ten degrees in different position, it would have been able to counter charge Megalith - blocking the way for Woldwarden. Maybe then we might have had an interesting game.

None of the games in this tournament had a very satisfactory course. All of them seemed to be lacking in some very basic way that I find enjoyable in Warmachine and Hordes. But I suppose a game like this had to come. Trying again anyway at the end of this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment