Friday, May 20, 2016

Mk2 Full Circle (not Orboros)

Yesterday I played a 50 point game of Warmachine.

My list was:

Deneghra the Soul Weaver
- Harrower
- Malice
- 2x Nightwretch

10x Cephalyx Mind Slaver & Drudge Thralls
Withershadow Combine
Ogrun Bokur
2x Pistol Wraith
Soul Trappers
Swamp Gobber River Raiders
Skarlock
Ragman

Opponent had:

High Exemplar Kreoss
- 2x Reckoner

4x Choir of Menoth
10x Holy Zealots + Monolith Bearer
10x Temple Flameguard + Unit Attachment
Eiryss1
Tristan Durant
- Redeemer
Covenant
Rhupert
2x Vassal of Menoth
Vassal Mechanic

This match was going to be of a special significance for me. Since edition change is looming, I needed to get get a game with Deneghra3 against Kreoss1. Every other warlock and warcaster in my possession (20 total, not including Deneghra3) have played at least one game against him. I wouldn't be able to leave Mk2 without this game. But here it was.

Scenario was Recon, and Cryx started game. First picture is from the end of Protectorate turn 1. I had ran to flag with Deneghra. She had Grave Wind on, yet only a focus camp of three. This prompted an assault from one Reckoner, which missed the attack. Big risk here I know, but hey. I wanted to run to a flag on turn 1A at least once in a lifetime.

Turn 2 a Pistol Wraith kills one of the Temple Flameguards to get a soul for Deneghra. If I would have got a couple of souls more from different sources, I might have not used feat with Deneghra. But she does and allocates focus for Malice and Harrower. She tries to cast Mortality on Temple Flameguard, but misses twice.

Well, at least a whole bunch of them die afterwards.

Drudges run forward for some target practice... where they're the dummies.

Turn 2 Protectorate uses minifeats on both Holy Zealots and Temple Flameguard. Latter also gets Defender's Ward, and charge to Pistol Wraith, Harrower and Nightwretch. Nightwretch loses arc node. Harrower gets only minor damage.

I don't remember what Reckoners did. I guess they just missed their shots or something.

Holy Zealots fight the Drudges, but front line was very adept at passing tough checks.

Turn 3 I get this crazy idea of dragging Kreoss closer to my lines and charging him with Deneghra, after everything else had tried to shoot him. But Zealots with Greater Destiny and anti-magic, Covenant with anti-magic caused my some headache. Eventually I couldn't figure out any way to kill or move the Zealot that's on the left. Thanks to him I might not get a proper angle to drag Kreoss. But I decided to have a go at it anyway.

Malice with three focus, a soul and Puppet Master walked maximum distance as close to Kreoss as possible, yet trying to stay out of reach of Temple Flameguard officer.

I did manage to estimate the reach pretty well - there was perhaps a safe zone of two millimetres. But Kreoss was also out of 8" by less than half centimetre.

Nooooooo!

Well, then I maximised my efforts at scenario play. I did succeed in removing models from within 4" of the flag, so Deneghra made a point. Control point. Two remaining Swamp Gobbers tie up additional Holy Zealots, and one reels itself in to Covenant of Menoth. And deals no less than maximum amount of damage to it with two attacks! Admonia had taken off Defender's Ward on Temple Flameguard.

Turn 3 it's time for Creator's Wrath. The pens in picture mark the divider between knocked down and standing models.

Notable losses were Admonia and Drudges' officer. Hello there, Cmd 3 unit coherency! Oh, and I guess you can call Malice a notable loss, too. And objective.

Kreoss casts Defender's Ward on himself and has a few focus points for armour. Covenant denied getting knocked down, as opponent figured I might fling Mortality and Scourge on him through an arcnode anyway. Scenario goes 2-1 for Protectorate.

Turn 4

I'm trying to get maximum amount of souls for Deneghra before I attempt an assassination. Maximum amount just wasn't very impressive - two souls was all she got.

Tremulus gives Puppet Master to Harrower. Arc node runs into position.

Deneghra activates and advances closer to her death. That's what would happen next if assassion failed, there in the middle of everything. But I wanted to use the venom breath spray thing.

But first Deneghra casts Mortality on Kreoss, and allocates three focus for Harrower. Then she attacks with Scourge, plus the spray. This does some damage, but the numbers were slightly lower than I had hoped for.

Next Harrower activates and comes to shoot Kreoss with its Ghost Shot POW 14 cannon. Boosted attack is a hit, and boosted damage rolls 6,6,2. Harrower still had Puppet Master on. We did some math there, and game literally hinged on one roll of 4+.

Roll comes up exactly four.

Wow.

Come to think of it, the real winner here had been Admonia, who did one damage in to Kreoss with her upkeep removal ability. Your sacrifice was not in vain.

No comments:

Post a Comment