Thursday, May 8, 2014

Rautarouva day 2

First... taking pictures is a damn good memory aid. During second day of Rautarouva warmachine tournament I was quite damn tired from 2 hour and 6 hour sleep from two nights.

Somehow on the second day the Deathclock seemed even more menacing than on day 1... Maybe because brains needed to double-check every order they received both from the frontal lobe and limbs.

First I was against Cryx, again. Funny thing that about 30% of participants were playing Cygnar, yet I played none. However, I managed to catch all Cryx opponents, except myself.


Game 4: Wraith Witch Deneghra vs Iron Lich Asphyxious

I guess opponent saw that I just wouldn't be playing Mortenebra against Cryx, and he took Iron Lich Asphyxious instead of Wraith Witch vs Wraith Witch game.

Opponent had a list a bit like this:

Iron Lich Asphyxious
- 2x Deathripper
- Cankerworm

Maximum unit of Satyxis Raiders + Sea Witch
Maximum unit of Satyxis Blood Witches + Blood Hag
Maximum unit of Bloodgorgers
General Gerlak Slaughterborn
Satyxis Raider Captain
Skarlock
2x Pistol Wraith
Saxon Orrik
+2 points, possibly a Warwitch Siren?

I decided to try some sort of high-risk high-reward approach, and had Deneghra way too forward on turn 1, camping 3 focus. I hoped Asphyxious would use feat, and Deneghra wouldn't die in the process. That's bad tactics for sure, since Asphyxious would be able to shoot 2x damage rolls of 3d6-3. At that point, however, it was a risk I was willing to take.

Probably because of being tired on day 2, too, opponent ran Satyxis Raider into melee with Deneghra.

Next turn Deneghra obviously turns incorporeal, advances and uses Web of Shadows. I was pretty confident that she'd be safe all alone on the middle of board. Leftmost enemy arc node, however, was just out of her control area, so Deneghra's feat turn suddenly turned from "how to inflict maximum damage?" into "how can I protect Deneghra from Hellfire spam?"

And in the end... I couldn't. But Deneghra was left standing with three hit boxes remaining.

On my turn Deneghra advanced into relative safety of a hill. She had to walk through a Breath of Corruption cloud effect, and then she was at two hit boxes.

Reaper took a free strike from Satyxis Raider Captain and went to wreck the last arc node of Asphyxious - and Feedback dropped Deneghra to one hit box. Oh my. Oh my.

I did everything I could to kill all Feedbackers from enemy, as I was just one okayish hit away from dying to Feedback. Just about all models I still hadn't activated tried to kill the last remaining Captain, and Kraken finally succeeded in dealing enough blast damage to the Captain to kill it. Surely I would have liked to do something else with Kraken, but oh well.

Game continues for a few more rounds, and Deneghra heals herself to 4 hit boxes during those.

Kraken suffers from Parasite and Satyxis Blood Witches got Scything Touch on them. A charge and a normal melee round, as well as a charge from Bloodgorgers who had Scything Touch switched to them made for some impressive damage, but thanks to three Bloodgorgers missing two of their charge attacks, Kraken stays on board.

Nothing else does, however, and I don't have enough attacks any more to do anything useful.

For the past few round I've forgotten to turn Deneghra incorporeal, and the last turn was no exception. The only thing I could try to do was to charge something with Deneghra and hope that I get within 8" of Asphyxious, cast some sort of spell on him and shoot him down with Kraken.

However, there were no such charge targets that I'd have Asphyxious on Deneghra's front arc after charge move. I tried to run my last remaining Necrotech to act as a charge target, but because it had to dodge free strikes from Bloodgorgers, distance Deneghra was able to charge was abysmal. Especially as she was not incorporeal. So... Deneghra just charged into middle of enemy army, killed her own Necrotech and stood there with five focus.

Nice move there, Deneghra. It was your last.


Game 5: Mortenebra vs Zaal

Zaal & Kovaas
- Molik Karn
- Titan Gladiator
- Basilisk Krea

Maximum unit of Praetorian Swordsmen + Unit Attachment
Maximum unit of Nihilators
Maximum unit of Paingiver Beast Handlers
2x Ancestral Guardian
Hakaar the Destroyer
Aptimus Marketh

This game was quite fast and aggressive.

In a nutshell Skorne brought Molik Karn and Titan Gladiator a tiny bit too much forward, and with Terminal Velocity and Mortenebra's feat both died. Molik died to Nightmare with two focus and Gladiator died to Kraken with two focus.

Out of idle curiosity I counted the odds for that - statistically Kraken rolled about 3 points above average.

It was a harsh blow for Skorne, but I received even harsher blow.

First an enraged Basilisk Krea destroys Ripjaw. Second attack it was able to buy hit easily, because charge attack smashed Ripjaws ankle. Then some other Skorne models try to attack things, but the disheartening closure to Rautarouva tournament for me was that Zaal rushed as far forward as possible and cast a fully boosted Hex Blast on Mortenebra. I don't remember the actual damage roll, but then Aptimus Marketh walks over and casts unboosted Hex Blast on Mortenebra. Hitting on 8+ and killing on 10+. Aptimus had one soul for either attack or damage boost, and it was saved for damage. 8+ it was and 10+ it was.

Well, Kraken didn't die.

In all games Kraken got destroyed in every game that Cryx won, and was left intact in every game that Cryx lost. Well, technically in two games Cryx both won and lost, but let's not get stuck in such details, it's just cool to search for non-existant correlations.

Games during second day weren't so amazing as in the first day, as I felt I was playing really badly on Sunday's Cryx vs Cryx, and this last game ended before it even started. Still a good tournament. Next one is most probably on July.

No comments:

Post a Comment