Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Main damage dealers being Rangers and Journeyman Warcaster

Okay, I'm exaggerating in the topic.

But anyway, I played a 50 point Warmachine game with Skorne.

My list was:

Lord Tyrant Hexeris
- Bronzeback Titan
- Archidon
- Basilisk Krea
- Basilisk Drake
- 2x Reptile Hounds

Minimum unit of Cataphract Cetrati
Maximum unit of Beast Handlers
Maximum unit of Praetorian Swordsmen + Unit Attachment
Venator Flayer Cannon
Agonizer
Mortitheurge Willbreaker
Extoller

Opponent had:

Siege
- Defender
- Ol' Rowdy

Maximum unit of Long Gunners + Unit Attachment
Maximum unit of Horgenhold Forge Guard
Rangers
Squire
Arlan Strangewayes
Journeyman Warcaster
Gorman diWulfe
Ragman
Reinholdt

Skorne started the game at the cost of starting from difficult table edge. However, I really wanted to go first because my whole army was so damn slow, and Cygnar had quite impressive shooting options available.

Scenario was Outflank.

Well, as I already said, my army was slow. First picture is taken from the end of Skorne turn 2. Hexeris had cast Death March on Praetorian Swordsmen and Soul Slave on Archidon.

But then things started happening. Tons of Praetorian Swordsmen fell to shooting by... rangers. Even Ragman causes two deaths with Bone Shaker. But what griefs me most is the fact that two... just two rangers shot down my dear Rufus! Who was even hiding in a forest! Damn it, why lesser warbeasts never die that easily when I try to attack them? Well... at least Rufus got to Play Dead...

On my next turn Hexeris uses his feat, which has less than impressive results. If my memory doesn't fail me, Ragman and one or two Horgenhold Forge Guard members were the direct casualties. Oh, and Journeyman Warcaster had only one hit box remaining.

Last remaining Reptile Hound ran to block Ol' Rowdy's counter charge. I shuffle with the remainder of my army, except for Agonizer who unleashes all of its tears, denying focus allocation, and then ran towards the front line.

Next turn the most horrible thing imagined.

First I was relieved that Gorman diWulfe's movement was blocked by Defender and Siege. But that didn't stop Bronzeback Titan from being blinded by black oil, thanks to a fancy deviation.

Then it's obviously a perfect turn for Siege's feat. Things I lost: Reptile Hound, Basilisk Krea Archidon, Agonizer, rest of Praetorian Swordsmen except for the officer, and though Bronzeback didn't die, it took a lot of damage.

After casualties like that I usually go into reckless mode, and this is exactly what happened again.

Cataphract Cetrati declare a charge, and the unit leader aims for Siege. It's was a bit bummer that when I measured if charge was succesfull, it was quite apparent that it would had been possible to get a charge in at Gorman diWulfe. Ah well. Anyway, three Cetrati charge Ol' Rowdy (who had been denied a counter charge again by a beast handler), but don't wreck the jack.

Blinded Bronzeback manages to kill a forge guard, and Praetorian officer kills a ranger and tries to kill another forge guard, but fails in that.

Basilisk Drake sprays a few models dead, and Extoller shoots something down. Possibly a forge guard, since there is only one remaining in the picture.

Well, Hexeris finishes what Cetrati started. He charged Ol' Rowdy, and thanks to some bad rolls in the end it took him all but 1 Fury. He had Puppet Master on him, and this was probably the first time that I remembered to use the re-rolls and I needed those re-rolls, but as has been proved so many times before - re-rolls don't help. Well, I did improve 1 and 2 to 1 and 3.

By this time Cygnar had scored 1 control point, and now Skorne scored by dominating the zone on right.

Cygnar just needs to clean the board now. Bronzeback Titan is shot to pieces, and then there are some foxhole shenanigans and Hexeris is almost done for, too. The one Fury that was left saved him, though now when I'm looking at the picture I wonder if Drake was actually in his control range. Probably toeing it or something.

Gorman diWulfe attempts to blind all the Cetrati, but thankfully only one falls to the dreaded AoE.

However, there is only one model contesting right zone again. And Hexeris lived.

The model in question was promptly killed, and Skorne would be soaring to 4 control points. Hexeris launches Obliteration at Squire, and kills both its target and Reinholdt.

A Cetrati kills Gorman, and Extoller walks into melee with Forge Guard, boosts to hit and to damage and kills the dwarf.

And then something happens that gives this game a "fail" tag.

I somehow deem that shooting Siege with a spray is somehow more important than killing the last contesting Long Gunner from left zone. I'm not sure what the heck happened in the dark corners of my mind. I guess I failed to adapt to the situation, as I hadn't been counting on Extoller being able to kill the Forge Guard and I had given up the left zone in my mind. When situation changed, the best I could figure out was "hey, I go spray arm 21-22 warcaster!" instead of trying to hit a def 13 model that would die on a hit.

The end of story is short, but embarrassing. Long Gunners shoot down the last transfer target, Basilisk Drake.

Defender doesn't manage to do anything useful, and Siege missed against Hexeris with Ground Pounder.

The last possible guy then shuffles a little and takes a random shot at Hexeris - this last guy being Journeyman Warcaster. Against all odds (Hexeris was def 19 in cover) the attack hits. The hand cannon has pretty nice POW of 12, so I was quite worried at this point especially when Hexeris had something like 5 or 6 boxes remaining.


A poor roll could still save Hexeris, but, alas, the Journeyman Warcaster gains an advance in rank by gunning down a warlock.
But to be honest - I deserved that for my mental fart last turn.

At least Rufus performed a trick. This was my fourth game with the beast. From now on his statistics can be found from the Numbers subpage.

No comments:

Post a Comment