Thursday, November 11, 2010

Vassal being the relief

when you can't arrange games in a timely fashion.

Today I played a 35 point game, epic Asphyxious vs Vayl.

My list was:

Epic Asphyxious
-Stalker
-Seether
-Ripjaw

Full unit of Bane Thralls + Unit Attachment
Minimum unit of Mechanithralls + Brute Thrall
Gorman diWulfe
Bane Lord Tartarus
Skarlock

Opponent was sporting:

Vayl
-Carnivean
-Angelius
-Shredder
-Seraph

Full unit of Hex Hounds + Bayal.


Legion of Everblight actually seems rather nice army against epic Asphyxious. Caustic Mists don't mess up opponent that bad so the battle feels more like it's taking place on equal terms.

Anyway, opponent won starting roll and opening was pretty brutal. Legion advanced real fast and so did I. I moved most of my troops way within opponents charge and all kinds of destruction range on purpose because hey, I was playing Epic Asphyxious.

First lesson learned: it's easy to dodge Caustic Mists if you place them badly. Second lesson learned: Tough works only 33% of time or actually a little less.

I got half of my army butchered including the Seether. Then opponent used his feat to move everyone away.

Well, I wasn't feeling too worried because hey, I played Epic Asphyxious. I managed some shenanigans (charged Tartarus to Hex Hounds and killed one and made one thrall able to charge Angelius while rest beat Hex hounds) and Skarlock succesfully cast Parasite on Angelius too.

When I charged that damn beast with that Bane Thrall I was giving it -5 to armor. However, Bane Thrall missed the attack and so did my Brute Thrall and two Mechanithralls. Yeah, three attacks needed 8 to hit it and two 9's but still I didn't think it would've been that impossible to get even one decent hit in.

My army slowly whittled away but I didn't think it was worrying because hey, I was playing Epic Asphyxious.

I did an unsuccesful attack with my Stalker against the beasts that were guarding Vayl and didn't really take Chiller into account. Dark Sentinel made mincemeat out of my Stalker (or, the next turn a frenzying Seraph did but before dark sentinel hit made me lose two focus.)

Hex Hounds, while they aren't exactly a tar pit unit tarpitted all my plans at my side of the board.

Finally they were down to one hound and I had a small score of bane thralls and bane lord Tartarus with me. Opponent had all beasts intact.

I had a moment where I could have charged my own bane thrall, used my feat and would have probably killed off Carnivean and maybe did some damage to Angelius. Now on hindsight I should have taken the chance because if opponent was reduced to only Seraph, Shredder and Vayl I could have had a decent chance of getting them with Asphyxious, a handful of Bane Thralls and Tartarus.

But I chickened out and did something real stupid instead, moved close to Tartarus and put up Soul Reaper and Caustic Mist on the remaining Hound.

Maybe I will remember now, then, that Hellbound doesn't actually prevent a charge when you're standing almost base to base with another model.

Carnivean charged Tartarus and after him it finished Asphyxious in two hits.

I weep, bitterly.

No comments:

Post a Comment